Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:00:22 PM
713368 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Movie Reviews  |  Alien Contamination (1981)...or is it Contamination (1980)? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Alien Contamination (1981)...or is it Contamination (1980)?  (Read 7135 times)
Saucerman
Opinionated Blowhard Par Excellence
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hypnotic, ain't it?

« on: December 26, 2008, 12:26:03 PM »

You guys have inspired me to start reviewing films myself.

http://radiation-scarred-reviews.blogspot.com/2008/12/alien-contamination-1981.html

Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 12:40:17 PM »

Good take on the film. This film's gore factor was often a one trick pony which made me believe the special effects crew only knew how to make green eggs and people's chests expolde.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Saucerman
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Hypnotic, ain't it?

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 12:46:37 PM »

Thank you.  I was a little nervous, I've never reviewed a film before, and this was the first movie on the first disk of a Mill Creek box set I got yesterday, so I wasn't sure what I was getting myself in to.

So I figured a little self-depreciating humor couldn't hurt.

Doctor Menard
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 08:38:26 PM »

Now let's get to the fun and meaty part...

...the criticisms.

First, though, your writing style is good; you write like you are having fun with this, and that translates well to the reader.

What does not translate well, though, is your ratings.

OVERALL SCORE:
GORE: 5 out of 5. Exploding bodies galore.
BOOBS: 0 out of 5. No naked boobies to be seen.
BUBBLING GREEN SLIME: 1 out of 5. I'm being generous with this, for the greenish-beige acid the eggs spray.

TOTAL SCORE: 6 out of 15.

I still don't know what you thought of the movie other than...

Today's pus-laden boil of mediocrity is "Alien Contamination"

6 out of 15 doesn't jive with 'mediocre', nor does totaling the amount of gore, nudity, and...uh...green slime for a composite rating give any satisfaction to the reader.

Keep in mind that gore, boobs, and...uh...green slime are fine things to rate in a movie, and add a bit of fun to the review, but having some kind of rating that cements what you really thought of the movie would add that much more to it.

I would recommend 'spoilers alert', or some other type of warning, that soon you are about to give away a good bit of the ending of the movie.

Though your outline of the film seems a little choppy...well...you didn't have much more than that in the movie with which to work anyway.

I enjoyed the film more than you did, but I don't find myself disagreeing with you too much either.

I'll rate your review at:
Gore - 0 (didn't see any)
Boobs - 0 (damn...didn't see any either)
Bubbling Green Slime - 0 (was really looking for it too)

Overall score 7-8/10 (really couldn't decide)

Overall you did a pretty good job. Thumbup
Saucerman
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Hypnotic, ain't it?

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 12:14:41 AM »

Thank you for the comments, Doctor.  I'll probably be reviewing another film on Monday (the joys of being a college student home on winter break) and I'll try to take your comments into account.  As for the writing style, I tried to keep it close to the tone I take when riffing films with friends -- a blend of sarcasm and understatement. 

The rating system was something I struggled with, and a bit of a concession to being more crass and less erudite in my reviewing.  I don't think it will be coming back in future reviews, at least not in that form. 

I'm also probably going to be less crass, overall.  It doesn't really work for me, and a good friend of mine who also watches B-movies frequently has offered to write guest reviews in which he is more acidic in his criticisms than I am. 

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 12:45:36 PM »

What does not translate well, though, is your ratings.

OVERALL SCORE:
GORE: 5 out of 5. Exploding bodies galore.
BOOBS: 0 out of 5. No naked boobies to be seen.
BUBBLING GREEN SLIME: 1 out of 5. I'm being generous with this, for the greenish-beige acid the eggs spray.

TOTAL SCORE: 6 out of 15.

I still don't know what you thought of the movie other than...

Today's pus-laden boil of mediocrity is "Alien Contamination"

6 out of 15 doesn't jive with 'mediocre', nor does totaling the amount of gore, nudity, and...uh...green slime for a composite rating give any satisfaction to the reader.

Keep in mind that gore, boobs, and...uh...green slime are fine things to rate in a movie, and add a bit of fun to the review, but having some kind of rating that cements what you really thought of the movie would add that much more to it.

6 out of 15 sounds pretty mediocre to me (assuming the mean of a 15 point scale is 7.5).  But I agree the rating system doesn't work.  Glad to hear Saucerman plans to tinker with it.  Gore/boobs/slime appear to be quantitative factors instead of qualitative ones. Would a movie with buckets upon buckets of low-quality, ineffective gore for gore's sake get a high rating? 

Saucerman, I say play to your strengths.  If you are erudite, be erudite in your reviews.  Just because it's a b-movie doesn't mean you can't be insightful.  Ken Begg does this very well, and manages to be funny at the same time. 

On the other hand, it can be fun to be crass/acidic, even if this isn't your normal personality.  So, if you decide to go that route, I say let it all hang about.  Be rude, crude, bombastic and unflinching.  It can be fun to create a character and have him take the blame for the reviews instead of you; it let's you get out all that antisocial behavior you keep bottled up inside.  This is the route Joe Bob Briggs took very successfully.

Finding your own unique tone/voice/identity, I believe, is ultimately what will make your reviews stand out from the pack.  Easier said than done, obviously, but you have the writing talent to make it happen if you work at it.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Saucerman
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Hypnotic, ain't it?

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2008, 03:11:01 PM »

I'll have to work out a qualitative scale -- I've never been particularly good at rating things on them, but we'll see what I can do. 

A thought that occurred to me as I was driving home last night: I wrote up the B-Movie Drinking Game.  As a sort of side-bit on each review (similar to Andrew's "Things I learned from this movie") would anybody be interested in seeing how each movie reviewed ranks in terms of drinks taken?

And as for creating an antisocial character to review films acidly, well, that character already exists in the form of my good friend and roommate, Dan, aka "All I remember of THE BRAIN THAT WOULDN'T DIE is how comforting my bottle of whiskey was"

Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2008, 06:16:47 PM »

Puzzling out the rating system will take some thought.  I agree with Menard that it's hard for a reader to decide if the film is something you would recommend or only recommend to gore hounds - based on the killer avocados.

I reviewed this years ago under the "Toxic Spawn" VHS release, and the film quality was horrible.  You can hardly see the cyclops.  Now I have the "Contamination" DVD by Blue Underground and can actually see the cyclops.  The monster looks pretty darn cool.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Saucerman
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Hypnotic, ain't it?

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 11:31:03 AM »

I think I've figured out an acceptable rating system -- I went with a basic 5-stars approach, plus something special for films that can't even rate a single star.

http://radiation-scarred-reviews.blogspot.com/2008/12/on-rating-of-films.html

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2008, 02:17:53 PM »

A thought that occurred to me as I was driving home last night: I wrote up the B-Movie Drinking Game.  As a sort of side-bit on each review (similar to Andrew's "Things I learned from this movie") would anybody be interested in seeing how each movie reviewed ranks in terms of drinks taken?

I hink it's a cool idea, so long as its just a sidebar.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Movie Reviews  |  Alien Contamination (1981)...or is it Contamination (1980)? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.