Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:14:00 AM
713330 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  the RAMONES « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: the RAMONES  (Read 17345 times)
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« on: March 31, 2009, 07:40:01 PM »

The Ramones! HEY HO-LETS GO!

The Ramones are the only band that trancends all genres.
I can be really bummed out,and I listen to the Ramones,I'm as happy as a dog rolling in his own sh!t!
 This thread is for Ramones Memories!

ROCK AND ROLL HIGH SCHOOL is the best musical ever made. Better than the WIZARXD OF OZ and YELLOW SUBMARINE.

GABBA GABBA!

Small | Large

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
zombie no.one
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Oookaay...

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 07:55:12 PM »

Im a bit of a Ramones newb, only albums Ive heard are Rocket to Russia, Brain Drain, and Mondo Bizzaro.

but they are good yeah, thumbs up from me. ( Thumbup)

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 08:17:12 PM »

Pinhead- The Ramones.
Small | Large

Quite possibly, the Ramones are at the top of my 'all time' favorite list as far as music goes. 

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
the ghoul
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 09:52:19 PM »

Truly one of the greatest rock and roll bands of all time and arguably the first real punk band.  I remember how so many people thought (and probably still do) that punk started in England, when in actuality bands like the Sex Pistols and The Clash were inspired to play punk rock by seeing the Ramones during their first tour of Britain.  I'm lucky enough to have seen them play live a few times.  I'll never forget the first time.  They played for about an hour and a half non-stop, only pausing between songs long enough to shout 1-2-3-4 into the microphone.  As good as most of their studio recordings were, I remember thinking that they were one of the few bands that actually sounded better to me live.  In the early 80's they came out with three albums in a row that were real clunkers (relatively speaking) and I was all but ready to write them off, then they came roaring back with "Too Tough to Die" and I was blown away all over again.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 10:33:54 PM »

THE RAMONES are probably the third most important act in the ROCK era; take your pick for #1 and #2.  THE RAMONES are not the first Rock band to do what they did, but they were the first to toil in relative obscurity yet with enormous influence, adhering to faith for three brilliantly productive years, and through the rest of their career, redirecting Rock and Pop music forever, though they themselves made nary a nickel. 

This track is off of their End Of The Century album, the one that PHIL SPECTOR produced; a real mixed bag, not the breakthrough they'd hoped for, but certainly one of their best remembered, and I think their best-selling album:
Small | Large

THE RAMONES do look kind of silly lipsynching and thwacking their guitars, when what you hear is JOEY's overdubbed vocal, and the Farfisa organ and brass you don't see...  Lookingup TongueOut
SPECTOR supposedly pulled a gun on DeeDee during recording sessions (PHIL's been known to do that). 
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 11:00:42 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Sister Grace

I found my mind in a brown paper bag...

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 07:34:22 AM »

I've been a Ramones fan since gradeschool. My favorite song is We're a Happy Family. I listen to it everytime I have to attend some sort of family dinner or reunion; it makes me feel a little better about my own family... Thumbup

Society, exactly as it now exists is the ultimate expression of sadomasochism in action.<br />-boyd rice-<br />On the screen, there\\\'s a death and the rustle of cloth; and a sickly voice calling me handsome...<br />-Nick Cave-
asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 08:01:05 AM »

I am a fan of the Ramones myself, but only for a few years now.  I used to get mocked all the time at my job for liking them, which I didn't care if my co-workers made comments about me like the Ramones, I didn't like some of the music my co workers listened to but I didn't make any comments about that to them.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 08:41:52 AM »

THE RAMONES are probably the third most important act in the ROCK era; take your pick for #1 and #2.  THE RAMONES are not the first Rock band to do what they did, but they were the first to toil in relative obscurity yet with enormous influence, adhering to faith for three brilliantly productive years, and through the rest of their career, redirecting Rock and Pop music forever, though they themselves made nary a nickel. 

This track is off of their End Of The Century album, the one that PHIL SPECTOR produced; a real mixed bag, not the breakthrough they'd hoped for, but certainly one of their best remembered, and I think their best-selling album:

Sadly, Spector didn't really "enhance" their talent on that record, save for a few songs.  But, like you said, it apparently is their best selling album, so I guess he helped in some capacity. 

Sadly, I never did get to see them live.  They stopped touring in '96 (I was twelve then), and now it's not gonna happen, with a bunch of them being deceased and all.  They were one of the few bands/acts I'd have paid money to see, and I don't say that about anyone.  Did they have some clunkers? Yes.  But so does almost every other musical act. 

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
WilliamWeird1313
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Bad taste is just an acquired taste!!!

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 09:41:16 AM »

I actually really liked the Spector album. It has more of that bubblegum rock, 50's/60's greaser/surf vibe than most of the other albums, and I dig that a lot.

I can't tell ya how sad I was when Joey passed.

Speaking of The Ramones, by the way, anyone see End Of The Century, a documentary about The Ramones (it airs on IFC a lot). Pretty good doc.

On a related note, I just picked up Rock N' Roll High School Forever on DVD for a song the other day. Now, I knew it didn't have any Ramones-y goodness, and I know it starred Corey Feldman and it was supposed to suck, but ho... lee... kuh... rap... I did NOT expect what I actually ended up seeing. Best parts are when Corey Feldman, though he's supposed to be a "rocker" guy, keeps imitating Michael Jackson's dance moves (badly) because, well, he's Corey Feldman. Ugh.

"On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil." - Vigo (former Carpathian warlord and one-time Slayer lyric-writer)
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 10:03:40 AM »

many people thought (and probably still do) that punk started in England, when in actuality bands like the Sex Pistols and The Clash were inspired to play punk rock by seeing the Ramones during their first tour of Britain. 

no doubt they were an original influence on punk, but I've read in a few places Malcolm McClaren saying he formed the Sex Pistols as a direct result of seeing New York Dolls...

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 10:07:18 AM »

I always thought the proto punk movement started with bands like Television, The Dictators and The Stooges?

the ghoul
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2009, 08:21:41 AM »

I always thought the proto punk movement started with bands like Television, The Dictators and The Stooges?

"Proto-punk" may be a good way to describe those bands.  They had an influence on The Ramones for sure.  There will always be many different opinions regarding when "proto-punk" as you call it actually evolved into punk.  Some people trace it back all the way to the 60's.  I've even seen the term "50's punk" used a couple of times in reference to some of the lesser known 1950's rockabilly bands!   
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2009, 08:29:02 AM »

"Proto-punk" may be a good way to describe those bands.  They had an influence on The Ramones for sure.  There will always be many different opinions regarding when "proto-punk" as you call it actually evolved into punk.  Some people trace it back all the way to the 60's.  I've even seen the term "50's punk" used a couple of times in reference to some of the lesser known 1950's rockabilly bands!   
I don't know that I'd lump TELEVISION in with THE STOOGES or THE DICTATORS.  "Proto-Punk" is a post facto term, and MC5 would need to be included with any first or second "Proto-Punks". 
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 10:54:44 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
WilliamWeird1313
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Bad taste is just an acquired taste!!!

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2009, 08:31:34 AM »

many people thought (and probably still do) that punk started in England, when in actuality bands like the Sex Pistols and The Clash were inspired to play punk rock by seeing the Ramones during their first tour of Britain. 

no doubt they were an original influence on punk, but I've read in a few places Malcolm McClaren saying he formed the Sex Pistols as a direct result of seeing New York Dolls...

Malcom McClaren's story changes every time he opens his mouth. I've heard him say that he started the Sex Pistols because of the Dolls, Ramones, Richard Hell.

Personally, as for the whole "who started punk?" debate, I've always taken my cue from Steve-O, from SLC Punk, when he says "Who cares who started it? It's music."

As much as I love "punk," I also gotta say that too often, too many people spend too much time debating just what is, technically, punk, as well as what isn't. Less focus should be placed on labeling this stuff, and more focus should be placed on just... enjoying it.

That's my philosophy, at least.

"On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil." - Vigo (former Carpathian warlord and one-time Slayer lyric-writer)
the ghoul
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2009, 08:34:48 AM »

I don't know that I'd lump TELEVISION in with THE STOOGES or THE DICTATORS.

You're definitely right about that!
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  the RAMONES « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.