Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:37:21 PM
713370 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Do you loan out your movies? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Do you loan out your movies?  (Read 21115 times)
3mnkids
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: March 27, 2010, 03:40:26 PM »

My family, friends and even neighbors act like my house is the local video store. I don't really mind them borrowing them but I have had problems with people not returning them. Dog Soldiers is a perfect example, I've had to replace it twice and no longer let anyone take it.   TeddyR

Do you let people borrow your movies? If so, do you give them a time limit to bring them back?

I don't give a time limit but am thinking about it. A certain neighbor borrows 4 or 5 at a time and I end up having to go ask for them back weeks later. I'm not letting her borrow anymore.  Lookingup

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 03:50:42 PM »

Let's be honest--no one wants to borrow the kind of movies I have on my shelf.  BounceGiggle

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 04:18:19 PM »

In general no. There has been a few exceptions, one being my girlfriend who usually hates all my movies but never gives them back and I force my dad to borrow my Don Johnson films...  TeddyR

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 04:49:24 PM »

No, I have not had good experiences with borrowing.  One person kept a VHS set for so long that when I asked for it back, she thought it belonged to someone else.  I had to convince her it was mine.  Another guy borrowed a movie, then thanked me for giving it to him.   Lookingup

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 06:57:06 PM »

Once in a great while my mom might like to borrow a movie.  I've got a lot of crap but also some classics.  She's very good at returning them.  Shoot, that reminds me.. I still have Romper Stomper that I need to get back to my brother.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
Starsky
Bad Movie Lover

you play a good game, boy!

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 09:49:43 PM »

Yes. I'm at a point where I don't give a s**t anymore, and belief me I had it all:

discs being not returned
discs being scratched so baldy you couldn't play them anymore
discs which where stolen by a third party
discs being sold by the person I gave them
discs being never returned
and of course the classic where you have to ask for weeks to get your own s**t back.

But in the end it comes down to who wants to lend one, I wouldn't give them to anyone, anymore.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 12:59:42 PM »

No, I'm not a damn rental store.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Sleepyskull

Well,well,well...

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 02:09:49 PM »

I'm hardly ever asked but I will loan out 1 at a time per person to trusted friends and family members.

For people that live in the same house, they can just borrow without asking as long as they keep it in the house and are careful with it.

Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world`s original sin. - Oscar Wilde
Nukie 2

I did it all for the...

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 02:13:04 PM »

Only if I've known the person for many years.

Watch Nukie on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wab1Y713tN0
"Like" International Fans of the Movie Nukie and Sias Odendaal on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/International-Fans-of-the-Movie-Nukie-and-Sias-Odendaal/135820159771783
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 02:50:07 PM »

Good question.  Generally I say go ahead if someone wants to borrow something.  However, time and time again I fall victim to lending someone something and for whatever reason never seeing them again. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
rykibloom
New Visitor

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 04:18:26 PM »

HELL NO!!

My movies are my babiez, if anyone can understand that.
I spend, what, $5-$20 PER movie and what if they get broken, severally scratched, or never returned? If people want to borrow my movies, I charge $2.50 per movie initially, plus $5 per night. This ain't no free video rental store, man.

/rant
joejoeherron
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 05:16:00 AM »

my friends and family know what kind of movies I have, so they stay away! I can't even watch them when someone else in home.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2010, 09:30:53 AM »

I do my best to avoid lending my movies (although, I do let my parents borrow them from time to time because I see them almost every week and I know I'll get them back).  I let a buddy of mine borrow 2 DVDs several years ago and it took more than a year for me to get them back.  It was mostly because I only see him a few times a year and he forgot to bring them the few times we got together.  Eventually I got them back and they were in perfect condition.  The best way to avoid lending out DVDs is to offer to have people come to your house to watch them.  I treat my DVDs like other people treat coin collections, stamps, comic books, baseball cards or whatever.  Most people just don't lend those things out.  I just explain that to people and I usually don't have a problem.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
JPickettIII
A BAD MOVIE IS A TERRIBLE THING TO WASTE!
Bad Movie Lover

HELP! WE ARE STUCK IN A GOOD MOVIE!!!

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2010, 12:03:01 PM »

A definite "Hell Know".  I lost my Plan 9 DVD because I lent out movies.  No more.   hot

\\\\\\\"Freedom is not free\"\\\\\\ or ///\"Where ever you go, there you are!\"///
Pilgermann

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2010, 01:55:23 PM »

I'll let my brother or parents borrow stuff because they're all very careful, but generally I'd say no.  I'm really obsessive about the condition of my stuff if I buy it new, and I always get movies back with some light scratches or finger prints all over 'em.  I am baffled by how careless people are when handling stuff.  Oh, and I loaned out a copy of The Story of Ricky to a friend and his dog destroyed it.  He paid me back for it, though.

Also, I'm a bad person to loan stuff to.  I either take forever to watched what I've borrowed or I forget that I have it.

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Do you loan out your movies? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.