Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:56:16 AM
714232 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Cannonball Run movies « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cannonball Run movies  (Read 13961 times)
New Visitor

« on: June 03, 2010, 09:42:19 AM »

I sat down and watched these two movies back to back. I remember watching these as a kid and enjoying them. What was I thinking?! In a sense, they are a guilty pleasure; they're so bad they're good. But man, the movies really are bad. The humor is pathetic. There really is no structure to the films. The movies are anti climatic. The characters are buffoons. It's like watching one of those old Dean Martin celebrity roasts. The stunts are all to obvious. Plus, they stocked up on a lot of third rate actors (some of them are dead now). Jeez, Jamie Farr? Tim Conway? Sid Caeser? Tony Danza? Jim Nabors? Jack Elam? Richard Kiel? Charles Nelson Reilly? Henry Silva? And the second movie is just another in long line of early 80's movies to feature an ORANGUTAN.

Bad movie, but kind of fun in a dumb way.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 11:34:31 AM »

The sequel was kind of pointless, but I like the first one. Not many of the cast are really leading actor material, but most were well known and well liked, whether they were character actors, singers, comedians, athletes or whatever. If you don't happen to be a fan of their earlier work, they might not seem too special. For me, half the fun is watching everybody either doing their thing (like Dean and Sammy) or spoofing themselves (like Roger Moore), with the other half being a lot of stunt driving and comical smashups, typical of Hal Needham films.

Is it a well-crafted comedy? Not particularly. Is it just a fun romp with a lot of famous people? I think so.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 01:21:11 PM »

You should check out Gumball Rally (1976). I am certain that this directly inspired Cannonball Run.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 10:59:11 PM »

Gumball Rally is a great movie, and actually both it and The Cannonball Run were based on the same real-life race held annually in the 1970s, as was a lesser-known movie, Cannonball, with David Carradine.

The really cool thing is that Hal Needham actually did drive in the real Cannonball Run a couple of years before the movie, using an ambulance as a cover.

---------------------
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 11:26:11 PM »

There was actually a third film.  SPEED ZONE! (1989).  Starred John Candy, Shari Belafonte, Donna Dixon, Matt Frewer, Joe Flaherty, The Smothers Brothers, Peter Boyle, and others.  They were going to call it CANNONBALL RUN III.  I've heard it's pretty terrible.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
joejoeherron
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 04:36:49 AM »

yeah, "Speed Zone" wasn't very good. Highly recommend "Cannonball".Look for director Joe Dante in small role.

odd bit of trivia:
The main man behind the generall lee fan club actually built a recreation of the late 70's dodge ambulance from "The Cannonball Run" to compete in the Real Cannonball Run, now known as the "One Lap of America"

www.generalleefanclub.com
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 07:36:15 AM »

Funny, I never got around to watching Speed Zone, and still don't really care to. I would normally at least want to check out a John Candy film I hadn't seen before, but not this one. Then again, I have no desire to see Wagons East either.

I suppose it says something about a comedy when the studio decides it's not good enough to be a Cannonball Run movie.

---------------------
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 09:27:51 AM »

Funny, I never got around to watching Speed Zone, and still don't really care to. I would normally at least want to check out a John Candy film I hadn't seen before, but not this one. Then again, I have no desire to see Wagons East either.

I suppose it says something about a comedy when the studio decides it's not good enough to be a Cannonball Run movie.

True. That's almost as bad as saying it's not good enough to be a Police Academy movie. Not quite as bad, but close.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Oscar
Dedicated Viewer

Meurdher? Who said meurdher??!!

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 10:36:01 AM »

When I was a kid, I took Car and Driver magazine and remember the articles about the real Cannonball Run. One of the regular column writers actually started it, I think, but can't remember his name. Back then Car and Driver was very much an anti-establishment, us-against-the-world sort of magazine and took delight in pulling Road and Track's chain whenever possible, which was why I liked it. It still seems sort of surreal that a major magazine cooked up this highly illegal race, promoted it, and ran it for many years without getting sued or getting someone killed.   
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 10:54:12 AM »

That was Brock Yates. I believe he was editor. Not only did he found the race, he also wrote The Cannonball Run and basically played the part of race organizer, which I suppose would be himself.

I suppose that would make The Cannonball Run the definitive Cannonball movie. But really, I think The Gumball Rally captured much more of the rebellious spirit of the race. Cannonball Run flouted authority and mocked the forces of public safety, but Gumball Rally commented more on the new, stricter traffic laws that inspired Yates to start the race.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 11:37:10 AM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
Oscar
Dedicated Viewer

Meurdher? Who said meurdher??!!

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2010, 11:21:30 AM »

Andy, thanks for the memory jog. I remember one article, maybe by Yates, called "Relief  at Seventy", which was about how to urinate out the open driver's door at 70 MPH!   
JPickettIII
A BAD MOVIE IS A TERRIBLE THING TO WASTE!
Bad Movie Lover

HELP! WE ARE STUCK IN A GOOD MOVIE!!!

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2010, 04:29:14 PM »

There was actually a third film.  SPEED ZONE! (1989).  Starred John Candy, Shari Belafonte, Donna Dixon, Matt Frewer, Joe Flaherty, The Smothers Brothers, Peter Boyle, and others.  They were going to call it CANNONBALL RUN III.  I've heard it's pretty terrible.

Seen this movie.  Not bad, but not good.  The woman riding with John Candy was pretty to look at though.   Cheers

Later,

John

\\\\\\\"Freedom is not free\"\\\\\\ or ///\"Where ever you go, there you are!\"///
joejoeherron
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2010, 04:51:33 AM »

I always get a laugh at what Brock Yates says in his speech to the cannonballers before the race. It goes something like this
"and remember, no state has the death penelty for speeding, although I'm not sure about Ohio" 
I live 60 miles from Ohio, I know NEVER to speed in that state.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Cannonball Run movies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.