Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:22:48 AM
714501 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Celebs you thought were dead. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Celebs you thought were dead.  (Read 10443 times)
Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: November 01, 2010, 04:18:10 AM »

So, in a little over a week, I'm going to go see Chuck Berry perform live.  I've been trying to get tickets to see him for a while - they sell out within like 45 minutes of going up for sale online.  But yeah, he still performs regularly in St. Louis, and occasionally elsewhere.  He just turned 84 a few days ago.  Once in a while, I'll mention this to people, even native St. Louisans, and they'll stare at me and say "I thought he was dead!".  

Years ago, I remember thinking Fay Wray wasn dead, only to discover she was just really old.  Then she did die.  Oh well.

The classic example of the celeb everyone thinks is dead, of course, is Abe Vigoda.  At 89, I think he's still alive.  I hope he makes it another two or three decades, personally.

http://www.abevigoda.com/

So, what other celebs have you guys thought were dead, only to discover this was not so true?
claws
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 05:02:00 AM »

I usually look up info if I'm uncertain, especially after watching movies from the 70s and 80s. I never really assume that they are dead though. Most of the time I just think that they only retired from acting or singing.
Sometimes I do stumble across some celeb who has actually died years ago, and then I'm always kind of shocked.

For example, I didn't know that Cary Grant was dead until a few years later. It seems impossible not to have known but the news sort of went under my radar back then.
Menard
Bad Movie Lover

I Am Vitriol...When You Say My Name You Praise Me

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 10:35:13 AM »

I've got to admit, I thought Chuck Berry was dead too. I guess thinking back to his heyday, it seems so long ago.

One actor, who is now dead (since 1997), whom I thought was dead well before then was William Hickey. I remember having watched a movie review for, I believe, Prizzi's Honor, and I could swear they referred to him as the late William Hickey; but he kept popping up in movies. Not a bad career for a dead man.

Lucio Fulci was one who was confused for having died; he even made light of it in interviews. Of course, considering his fame, somehow it seems appropriate that he was still giving interviews after having passed away.

Hammock Rider

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 10:48:08 AM »

I thought Maureen O'Hara was dead. I mean come on, she was bumping uglies with John Wayne. Turns out she's 90!

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 11:51:21 AM »

Funny you should mention this.  When I saw you post you were going to see Chuck Berry, my first thought was "isn't he dead?" 

About a decade ago, I was surprised to find out BB King was still alive and performing regularly.  He still is alive ten years later and he has had the occasional performance after a 2006 "Farewell tour." 

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Paquita

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 12:34:15 PM »

I didn't realize Andy Griffith was still alive until I saw him on a commercial recently.  He's only 83!

Unfortunately, when I found out Paul Naschy was still alive, he died a few weeks later Bluesad.
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 06:01:32 PM »

Another star who dosen't get mentioned much is Francis Lederer, whose one big horror role was the 1958 movie The Return Of Dracula.  I thought he was long gone, only to find out that he lived to 101.  Naturally he did pass away (back in 2000) but until that time I was under the impression he was already gone. Sadly, now he is.  Bluesad

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 09:36:38 PM »

Ann B. Davis-Alice the Maid from The Brady Bunch.  Turns out she's like, 84.  Not that that's bad.  Just assumed.

George "The Animal" Steele- Professional wrestler, who also portrayed Tor Johnson in Ed Wood.  Turns out he's like, 74.  He was old when I watched him as a kid.

Russell Johnson- The Professor from Gilligan's Island amongst the "B" movies he's done.

John Astin- Gomez Addams from The Addams Family.  Thought he passed as I hadn't seen him in anything.  Guess he's enjoying being retired.

William Daniels- The legend...KITT from Knight Rider, Dr. Craig in St. Elsewhere, Mr. Feeny on Boy Meets World.  Turns out he's 83.

Andy Griffith- I too, was surprised to see him in a commercial recently.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 09:48:39 PM »

Can't believe Ernest Borgnine is still around! 
Same as June Foray (voice of Rocky of "Rocky And Bullwinkle", and a billion other cartoon characters).

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
sideorderofninjas
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 11:09:22 PM »

Hadn't heard anything new from
Ernest Borgnine or Robert Loggia lately.  Glad to see them popping up...

SideOrderOfNinjas
http://www.sideorderofninjas.com

"Wielding useless trivia like a katana."
Trekkie313
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2010, 11:58:18 PM »

Robert Loggia

Must not make joke!
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 12:20:46 AM »

-Phyllis Diller
-Andy Griffith
-Shirley Temple
the ghoul
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 08:12:19 PM »

For a couple of years back in the 90's, I thought Ben Kingsley was dead.  I could have sworn I had heard on the news at some point that he died, then to my surprise, I noticed he was in some movie that was just coming out.

For a long time I also thought Bowzer from Sha Na Na had died, then I later discovered that he had not.  I think there was a false rumor going around about it or something because it seems I heard that one more than once.

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2010, 10:28:24 PM »

-Phyllis Diller
-Andy Griffith
-Shirley Temple
Shirley Temple's ALIVE? Buggedout

Wow.  Thought she was long dead.

That's good news, though.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 06:29:43 AM »

-Phyllis Diller
-Andy Griffith
-Shirley Temple
Shirley Temple's ALIVE? Buggedout

Wow.  Thought she was long dead.

That's good news, though.

Yep, she's just over 80.  Still not as old as Griffith or Diller, but up there.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Celebs you thought were dead. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.