Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:14:47 AM
714351 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Generics VS Name brand « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Generics VS Name brand  (Read 14739 times)
3mnkids
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: November 23, 2010, 11:17:50 AM »

Being a family of five we have to buy a lot of store brand products or our grocery bill would be outrageous. There are a couple things though that only name brand will do. Do you buy store brand and what products, if any, are only name brand for your household?

Mine are

TP ~ Cottonelle all the way. Dont like the cheap stuff.
Coffee Creamer~ Coffee mate only. The store brand stuff changes the way the coffee taste 

Everything else is fair game.

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 12:03:06 PM »

We buy very few store brands (but I'm not really sure why).  But these name brands are a MUST:

* Toilet Paper - Charmin
* Paper Towels - Bounty ("select-a-size" whenever possible)
* Ice Cream - Various brands (e.g., Ben & Jerry's, Edy's, Haagen Dasz) - but never store brands
* Soft drinks - Coca Cola or Pepsi products (whichever happens to be on sale) - never store brands
* Cereal - Whatever we happen to be in the mood for, but never store brands
* Bread - Usually Wonder Bread for white bread or Beefsteak brand for Pumpernickel
* Crackers - Usually Keebler Townhouse, Toasteds or Club
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 06:44:24 AM by The Burgomaster » Logged

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Sleepyskull

Well,well,well...

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 07:40:08 PM »

Just a note about toilet paper: I don't care if it's store brand or name brand, but I hate toilet paper that feels super rough and tears too easily, but I also hate ultra-soft/fluffy toilet paper because I don't like cleaning myself with a pillow.

With most products, my family usually goes for the best balance between what works best and what's cheapest. Although, some products are must haves, like my mother's Diet Coke 12 pack.

Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world`s original sin. - Oscar Wilde
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 07:47:11 PM »

Honestly I get mostly generic items which I never realized until I thought about it just now.   BounceGiggle  

TP I highly prefer Scott.  I hate the quilted stuff that bunches up and.......well you get the point.

Devil Dogs...no cheap Little Debbie imitations allowed.

Chips I prefer to get Lays regular but will resort to generic. However my heart will yearn for Lays while I'm eating the other ones.  

Fruit Loops and Apple Jacks if I buy them for myself.  The kids get the generic stuff cuz they're too young to notice...or are they?  

Smart Balance spread or Country Crock

As mentioned above, the generic stuff I often prefer.  When I buy saltines I found the Walmart brand to be great because they're usually burnt to a crisp.  Yep I'm one of those oddballs who loves burnt crackers.  I love Oreos but will venture into the store brand and actually some I've said are just as good if not better.   
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 07:50:08 PM by The DarkSider » Logged

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Sleepyskull

Well,well,well...

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 08:03:12 PM »

Honestly I get mostly generic items which I never realized until I thought about it just now.   BounceGiggle  

As mentioned above, the generic stuff I often prefer.  When I buy saltines I found the Walmart brand to be great because they're usually burnt to a crisp.  Yep I'm one of those oddballs who loves burnt crackers.  I love Oreos but will venture into the store brand and actually some I've said are just as good if not better.   

Ugh... You like saltines?  Bluesad (put vomiting smiley here)

Wink

Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world`s original sin. - Oscar Wilde
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 08:21:01 PM »

Just ate some actually  Thumbup

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Sleepyskull

Well,well,well...

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 09:15:15 PM »

Just ate some actually  Thumbup

No! Bad, Darksider!   Thumbdown Thumbdown Thumbdown Thumbdown Thumbdown  Hatred

Seriously though, I like pretty much any type of cracker except saltines and triscuits.

retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 09:36:24 PM »

I pretty much just get what goes on sale, national brand or store brand.  Exceptions:

Ice Cream (Breyers/Dreyers)
Cookies (Chips Ahoy/Keebler Soft Batch)
Pizza (Tombstone/Red Baron)
Soda (Coke/Dr. Pepper/RC)

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
Paquita

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 11:49:56 PM »

Name brand cereal is important - no Marshmallow Mateys for me!  Even though I really like the name.
I prefer Charmin TP, but Cottonelle is more affordable and usually what I get.  Anything else just feels like sandpaper.
I always get McCormick Vanilla Extract and Hershey's Cocoa.
Sometimes I'll get the generic body wash or other soaps, but something just doesn't seem right about them.
Sleepyskull

Well,well,well...

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 12:52:30 AM »

Name brand cereal is important - no Marshmallow Mateys for me!  Even though I really like the name.
I prefer Charmin TP, but Cottonelle is more affordable and usually what I get.  Anything else just feels like sandpaper.
Sometimes I'll get the generic body wash or other soaps, but something just doesn't seem right about them.

Not saying you're wrong, but I've never been able to experience a significant difference between name brand and generic cereal: I LOVE those massive bags of knock-off cereal!

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2010, 01:18:52 AM »

I can't afford such brands as Hanes, Jockey or any other famous brand of underpants so I stick to an imported brand named "Itchy and Scratchy".  Wink

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2010, 06:47:09 AM »

Some people probably enjoy that sandpaper texture . . .

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Paquita

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2010, 12:21:13 AM »

I suppose I could see the need for those that have hair in certain places... I wonder if there's a comb for that.
Jim H

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2010, 04:17:22 AM »

Not saying you're wrong, but I've never been able to experience a significant difference between name brand and generic cereal: I LOVE those massive bags of knock-off cereal!

It depends on the cereal in question, but in some cases they are actually made by the same machines to exact same specs, but just labeled and priced differently.  Those imitation Cocoa Pebbles, Dyna-somethings, for example, are literally identical to the original.  Others aren't though - like the ripoff Cheerios and the Chex ripoffs aren't as good.

But yeah, I love the imitation Cocoa Pebbles.  Cheap and delicious. 

Number one thing I DO NOT suggest getting cheap is saline solution for contacts.  I have no idea why, as it's basically salt and water, but I tried a generic once that made my eyes burn.  I don't know HOW they messed up something so simple, but the regular name brands and the high end stuff I use now (which is supposed to make contacts last longer - and my experiences bear this out to some degree) is really worth it.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2010, 04:21:56 AM »

I know I do.....  Wink Wink

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Generics VS Name brand « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.