Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:56:11 PM
713375 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Fact Of The Day « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 127
Author Topic: Fact Of The Day  (Read 631468 times)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #780 on: February 04, 2014, 05:40:40 PM »

Raffine - The book "Chang and Eng" is AWESOME
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #781 on: February 05, 2014, 09:13:30 AM »

there's a BS law that said that cars cannot be imported from other countries if it's less than 25 years old. It's total BS.

yeah no.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #782 on: February 07, 2014, 04:07:56 PM »

A satisfying way to win a scholarly sort of bet is to challenge someone to show where the US Constitution guarantees separation of church and state. Nine times out of ten they'll leap to the First Amendment, but contrary to popular belief the Constitution says nothing on that subject in Amendment One or elsewhere.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #783 on: February 07, 2014, 04:22:08 PM »

The youngest rider employed by the Pony Express was eleven years old.

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #784 on: February 07, 2014, 06:11:31 PM »

A satisfying way to win a scholarly sort of bet is to challenge someone to show where the US Constitution guarantees separation of church and state. Nine times out of ten they'll leap to the First Amendment, but contrary to popular belief the Constitution says nothing on that subject in Amendment One or elsewhere.

It is true that the phrase "separation of church and state" occurs nowhere in the Constitution - that was cribbed from a letter that Thomas Jefferson wrote over a decade AFTER the First Amendment was ratified.  However, I do think the actual wording was intended to create a certain level of separation - albeit nothing as draconian as the ACLU would have us believe.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #785 on: February 07, 2014, 07:20:55 PM »

This is a picture of Andre the giant holding a standard sized beer can. 

it has been estimated that Andre the Giant drank 7,000 calories worth of booze every day. The figure doesn’t include food. Just booze.

When Andre was asked how much it took to get him drunk he said, “It usually takes two liters of vodka just to make me feel warm inside.” 

TWO LITERS of VODKA... and that's just warm and fuzy. 

Andre once drank 119 twelve ounce bottles in a six hour period.  That's a bottle of beer every three minutes non-stop, or to put it another way, he drank over 11 GALLONS of booze in one sitting. 

indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #786 on: February 07, 2014, 07:34:27 PM »

That is just INSANE!!!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Raffine

« Reply #787 on: February 07, 2014, 10:38:08 PM »

Raffine - The book "Chang and Eng" is AWESOME

Yep - I've got a dog-eared copy somewhere.

Millie-Christine: Fearfully and Wonderfully Made is a good companion book.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Raffine

« Reply #788 on: February 07, 2014, 10:40:01 PM »

The Russian alphabet is very different from the English one - apparently...

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #789 on: February 08, 2014, 07:25:50 AM »

A horse's teeth weigh more than its brain.

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Flangepart

« Reply #790 on: February 08, 2014, 09:37:23 AM »

A horse's teeth weigh more than its brain.
Calling any politician...oh, wait...horses TEETH!...

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #791 on: February 08, 2014, 07:43:44 PM »

Because in 2004 Richard Hatch smuggled a book of matches in with him, all contestants on Survivor are now strip searched before setting foot on the island.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #792 on: February 08, 2014, 09:40:19 PM »

It is true that the phrase "separation of church and state" occurs nowhere in the Constitution - that was cribbed from a letter that Thomas Jefferson wrote over a decade AFTER the First Amendment was ratified.  However, I do think the actual wording was intended to create a certain level of separation - albeit nothing as draconian as the ACLU would have us believe.

I think "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion" is the correct answer to the challenge to find where the Constitution guarantees the separation of Church and state. Of course it all depends on how you define the concept of separation, establishment, and so forth, and how you apply them in difficult borderline cases. The answers to these questions are not always obvious. I'm sure the ACLU is on the "correct" side in some cases and the "wrong" side in others.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #793 on: February 09, 2014, 12:55:57 AM »

Reasonable enough.  I remember a few years back the Supreme Court was hearing a case about commencement prayers.  A Christian historian prepared an amicus curiae brief on the case in which he cited over 400 instances of the men who authored the Constitution and the Bill of Rights offering up prayers at commencements - proof positive, in his view, that they did not view such activities as violating the Establishment Clause.  Well, the pro-prayer advocates lost that particular case, and the historian got a nice letter back from Justice David Souter, congratulating him on a well-researched and prepared brief.  Then Souter concluded with these words: "This proves something I have long suspected - either the Founding Fathers were complete hypocrites on the subject of church/state separation, or else they simply did not understand the Constitution."

I thought that one of the most arrogant statements I have ever read.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #794 on: February 09, 2014, 09:15:19 AM »

Souter concluded with these words: "This proves something I have long suspected - either the Founding Fathers were complete hypocrites on the subject of church/state separation, or else they simply did not understand the Constitution."

I thought that one of the most arrogant statements I have ever read.

TO me that sounds more like a humorous observation---although Souter's not normally known for his sense of humor. The Founding Fathers signed onto the idea that "all men are created equal" while many of them kept slaves, so they were no strangers to hypocrisy. They were fallible men, not gods.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 127
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Fact Of The Day « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.