Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 11:53:19 PM
714195 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7733 Members
Latest Member: Mamie94489
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Fact Of The Day « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 127
Author Topic: Fact Of The Day  (Read 635710 times)
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #825 on: March 05, 2014, 12:50:58 PM »

Two facts: Germans still listen to Techno music (think European 1990s style) and still worship Italian actor Bud Spencer, who was the king of beat-em-up comedy movies in the 1970s.

Three facts: I'm half German, I don't listen to techno music, but I do love me some Bud Spencer.

Sind Sie halb Deutsch, Frau Paquita?  Das tut nicht, Alles klar  Smile
(You're half German? Doesn't matter, it's all good.)

Ich bin Deutsch, beide Seiten meiner Familie.  (German on both sides of my family)

Funny, I've never even heard of Bud Spencer, I don't listen to techno, and I don't drink. I guess I'm one of the ones that slipped thru the cracks of cultural practices. Guess I'm the odd one out....
claws
« Reply #826 on: March 06, 2014, 04:36:30 AM »

Sushi gives me joygasms.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #827 on: March 06, 2014, 04:34:31 PM »

While I was in the woods last night I heard this crashing sound coming straight in my direction and long story short, came within about a yard of getting run into by a deer that swerved just at the last second. I figured I was unique but it turns out 2.9 million people are supposedly injured by deer each and every year. Can you imagine me taking that story to an emergency room, though? "I got hit by a deer." They'd think I was covering up domestic battery or something.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #828 on: March 08, 2014, 03:43:59 PM »

While I was in the woods last night I heard this crashing sound coming straight in my direction and long story short, came within about a yard of getting run into by a deer that swerved just at the last second. I figured I was unique but it turns out 2.9 million people are supposedly injured by deer each and every year. Can you imagine me taking that story to an emergency room, though? "I got hit by a deer." They'd think I was covering up domestic battery or something.

If one has ever seen the TV show "The Middle" on ABC, the same thing happened to Sue Heck (Eden Sher), when she was trying out for the school X-country team and got lost in the woods. She got ran over by a deer.

But, if you don't want to worry about being ran over by deer and want to dress up like a tree or a gun-toting raccoon,
and one will be in southern California the weekend of November 14-16, there's the Marvel Super Heroes Half Marathon
in Anaheim, California.

There is also . . .
a %K Family Fun Run
a Diaper Dash for under 1s
a 100m for 1-3s
a 200m for 4-6s
a 400m for 7-8s
a pasta party Friday night
and a health expo.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #829 on: March 09, 2014, 12:15:59 AM »

A handshake passes along more germs than a kiss.

Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #830 on: March 09, 2014, 07:23:41 AM »

In the 1100's carousels were training devices used by the Turkish and Arabian cavalries.  The Spanish who first observed the manoeuvers named the practice "carosella", which means "little war".

(So now the junkyard that is my mind will forever be adding bagpipe-and-drum music whenever I see a merry-go-round.  'Cause that is what signifies 'martial' in there.   Lookingup )

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #831 on: March 09, 2014, 11:40:51 AM »

Jonathan Lee Riches holds the Guiness World Record for most lawsuits filed. 

Once he found out about his "honor" he sued Guinness Book of World Records. 
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #832 on: March 09, 2014, 01:39:45 PM »

Mining lobbyist George M. Willing presented the name "Idaho" to congress for a new territory around Pike's Peak, claiming it was a Shoshone Indian word meaning "Gem of the Mountains." But it was just a word he made up.  By the time the deception was discovered, the name "Idaho" was already in common use.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #833 on: March 09, 2014, 02:36:16 PM »

In the 1970s a randy dolphin had his wicked way with Carl Sagan on a swim with dolphins outing on the West Coast.

Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #834 on: March 23, 2014, 07:44:13 AM »

Horseracing is one of the most dangerous sports in the world: jockeys have a 5% chance of getting seriously injured each time they ride, while in NASCAR racing drivers have about a 0.25% chance of getting into a serious accident.

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #835 on: March 23, 2014, 03:45:13 PM »

Horseracing is one of the most dangerous sports in the world: jockeys have a 5% chance of getting seriously injured each time they ride, while in NASCAR racing drivers have about a 0.25% chance of getting into a serious accident.

Interesting, Newt. One thing to consider though, no pun intended, but there's a lot of "horsepower" in both sports ( Wink) and whether getting thrown from a horse or a race car, some serious injuries could (and have) resulted. With some of the crashes I've seen on TV and in real life, I'm amazed that some of these guys survived with as much as just  a scratch..
claws
« Reply #836 on: March 25, 2014, 03:08:07 AM »

No offense to Flangepart, but I ALWAYS misread his name as Flagenpants  Bluesad
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #837 on: March 25, 2014, 02:14:02 PM »

With the upcoming "Star Wars : Episode VII" upcoming this year, there are two new books on the past "Star Wars" films now out. The 1st is a collection of screencaps from "Episodes IV, V, and VI," and the 2nd is a collection of screencaps from "Episodes I, II, and III." And both books raised a number of thoughts.

1st. Two mistakes I feel were made. I saw the original "Star Wars : Episode IV," and only the original, and the screencaps for that episode come not from that version, but from one of the later versions, as there are scenes from that episode that were never in the original. And they let George Lucas pick the screencaps for both books. Who then plays down the violence in "Episode IV," which is actually quite violent, relatively speaking.

2nd. Whatever "Star Wars" has done or not done, they did once thing right, and that was the casting. Looking at all the screencaps, everyone looks like they belong in the film. Not only the stars, but also the co-stars, the small speaking roles, and even the silent extras.

3rd. If casting is important, then story is also important, as I can follow the plot of both episodes IV and V. Of course, I have seen episodes IV and V, but even not having seen episodes VI and I, I can follow the plot just looking at the screencaps. It is with the screencaps for episodes II and III, that I have no idea what is going on.

4th. Not much text. Not even captions for the screencaps, but there is a prologue by director Guillermo del Toro, who seems to be quite fond of the series, and as there seems to be no director yet for episodes VIII and IX, it'd be interesting to let him direct one of the films, especially as it looks like he has nothing scheduled for after 2015.

5th. And there is quite a bit of violence directed against children or the younglings in episode III. I don't know whether the violence happened on-screen or off-screen, not having seen the episode, but looking at a couple of screencaps from that episode it looks like 6 or 7 children died. If 7, it is tied for 8th most violent film in the number of children killed, that I have seen. And even if it is only 6, it'd still be among the top 10 films, that I have seen, for the number of children killed in 1 film.

Next time: Something else.
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #838 on: March 25, 2014, 08:26:35 PM »

It was said that Sonny Chiba's movie, "Streetfighter", was the very first martial arts film to get an X rating due to the violence in it. After seeing the movie totally uncensored on the El Rey network, I can't say that I'm suprised....
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #839 on: March 26, 2014, 12:19:03 PM »

When Billboard magazine originally introduced the chart for country music, it was called hillbilly music.  It didn't officially become country until years later. 
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 127
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Fact Of The Day « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.