Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:04:53 PM
714318 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Batman & Robin - The worst movie "ever made?" « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Batman & Robin - The worst movie "ever made?"  (Read 21717 times)
Robocop
Bad Movie Lover

« on: April 19, 2011, 12:53:23 AM »

I know there are heaps of bad films out there, some are guilty pleasures where as other have 0 redeeming qualities and are a struggle to get through. Batman & Robin had a budget of $140 million and we all know how terrible it was, but financially is it the biggest waste of money in film history. I mean its one thing to claim a film with a 10 times smaller budget to being the worst, but the money put it to B&R was literally wasted down the toilet. In my eyes this makes it the worst of the worst. Think of where that money could have gone.   
Robocop
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 04:14:17 AM »

I know there are heaps of bad films out there, some are guilty pleasures where as other have 0 redeeming qualities and are a struggle to get through. Batman & Robin had a budget of $140 million and we all know how terrible it was, but financially is it the biggest waste of money in film history. I mean its one thing to claim a film with a 10 times smaller budget to being the worst, but the money put it to B&R was literally wasted down the toilet. In my eyes this makes it the worst of the worst. Think of where that money could have gone.   

Well, I agree that B&R was a waste of time and money, but then again there are a lot of movies that are as guilty of both. I mean, "Avatar" was a dull, predictable, utterly original effects fest that had little plot and boring characters, but it made a boatload of money.

Superman 4 sucked bigtime, and in some ways was worse that B&R but they didn't waste as much money on it.

TDTESS bastardization was a terrible movie and a gross insult to the original classic, and in some ways insulting and ripping off the original classic made it worse than B&R, who at least didn't steal a great movie's title!

Sure, B&R was trash for the reasons you cited. I'm not sure it was the worst movie ever made, though, as other movies are just as guilty of it's sins, and committed others as well.

Avatar despite its lack in creativity and poor script was a revolution in CGI and set the bar in 3D technology. I don't love it, but there are enough legitimate reasons for it not to be even close to crap like B&R even though it had a massive budget .

Excuse my ignorance but whats TDTESS?

Sure there are plenty of tittles worthy of that crown, but B&R comes to mind because not only is it a shocking film, but it was a very, very expensive one. 
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 07:22:58 AM »

wait, wasn't Cutthroat Island the biggest flop in history?

yeah no.
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 08:33:12 AM »

wait, wasn't Cutthroat Island the biggest flop in history?
I thought it was Waterworld. 

Personally, I dodn't even think Batman and Robin was a bad movie.  It felt like a nice update to the old Adam West series with a much bigger budget, and Clooney was a huge improvement over Kilmer.
dean
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 08:42:59 AM »

By normal standards Batman and Robin is pretty horrible [I didn't mind it so much though]

By our standards around these here parts, it is way better than the stuff we gladly subject ourselves to on a regular basis...

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
akiratubo

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 09:14:24 AM »

Batman & Robin isn't that bad.  You don't even have to step outside the Batman franchise to find two movies that are much worse:  Batman Forever and Batman Begins.

I thought it was Waterworld.

Waterworld was actually profitable.  Just barely, but it made more money than it cost.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Mr. Gable
New Visitor

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 09:38:59 AM »

If we're talkin worst movie ever made...that goes to Manos: The Hands of Fate.

But worst movie with a budget: B&R takes it.
Raffine

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 12:06:56 PM »

Excuse my ignorance but whats TDTESS?

THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL.

Funny, I haven't seen that particular film abbreviated like that outside of the Bernard Herrmann website.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 12:09:19 PM by Raffine » Logged

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 12:16:59 PM »

One movie that doesn't get talked about much is Roman Polanski's PIRATES.  I'm pretty sure that one lost almost $40 million at the box office.  And let's not forget THE ADVENTURES OF PLUTO NASH, which I believe lost more than $90 million.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 12:41:59 PM »

Pluto Nash was way worse than B n' R, actually nearly every film Eddie Murphy has made in the last 10-15 years could be a better candidate for "worst film", that is, if we're talking profits and losses added into the mix also. I must say, I was bitterly disappointed with Batman Forever (even though I understood it was a nod back to the 60s series) when I went to see it in the cinema after all the good things Tim Burton did to enhance the Batman universe. But, I was even more appalled with Batman & Robin. Saying that though, B n' R now looks like a goddamn masterpiece to me when stack up against the steaming piles of crap currently playing in theaters worldwide....

bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 03:51:49 PM »

It is without question one of the worst ever made. But it is thee worst, I think not. That distingtion, at least for me, goes to Freddy Got Fingered. That offended me as a kid and I liked The Tom Green Show back then.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 04:48:04 PM by bob » Logged

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 04:09:25 PM »

If we're talking the mula gained back, then Zyzzyx Road, since it only made $30 out of it's $2,000,000 budget?

yeah no.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 04:30:20 PM »

If we're talking the mula gained back, then Zyzzyx Road, since it only made $30 out of it's $2,000,000 budget?

Well, I think you're comparing apples and roast beef here. Yes, it is the lowest box office gross of all time, but that's because it was released in a single theatre with no promotion to satisfy an agreement. The director wanted to release it in Europe before releasing it domestically, and that never happened. Since it was release on one screen with no promotion, I don't know if that counts when compared to widely released movies.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2011, 05:21:57 PM »

Let's look at some numbers. 

The Budget for Batman and Robin was $140 million. 
It made $107.3 million in North America and $130.9 million internationally bringing it to a toal of $238.2 million at the Box office, (that's not couting the fact that the movie also had merchandising out the whazoo.)

It made $42,872,605 the opening weekend making it the third best opening for that year. 

Considering that they got their money back and then some, I'd hardly consider it the biggest waste ever. 
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2011, 07:57:10 PM »

Actually it is a standard abbreviation for it. (Why is abbreviation such a long word?)
Because it's ironic, you know, like rain on your wedding day.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Batman & Robin - The worst movie "ever made?" « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.