Main Menu

A special thread for my Dad

Started by Trevor, May 16, 2011, 08:04:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor

Six years today: still missed, still special and still very much loved. XX  :smile:
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.

Flangepart

My dad died suddenly in 83, of an Aortic aneurysm. One of my fave. memories is watching KING KONG VS. GODZILLA at  the long gone East Side Drive-in. Mom worked nights as a waitress, dad days delivering dry cleaning, and he and I liked the kinda stuff that made mom say 'I just don't get it.'
:bluesad: :smile: :cheers:

i had the same taste in movies. 
"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"

Bushma

I'll have a glass of wine for your father and for his wonderful son.
This is my awesome signature.  Jealous?

HappyGilmore

Cheers, fella.   :cheers:

From what you've described, it was a...well it was something.  More than I can say on my end, but that's neither here nor there.  He raised a fine fellow.   :thumbup:
"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don't get too close, it's dark inside.
It's where my demons hide, it's where my demons hide.

RCMerchant

I usually dont reply to posts like this-because-I post s**t like this-and irealize-what the hell am I gonna say-except-I do know how you feel.
I really do.
Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."
Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant

Trevor

Quote from: Bushma on May 16, 2014, 08:19:16 PM
I'll have a glass of wine for your father and for his wonderful son.

*Hugs*  :smile:

Trevor

Quote from: HappyGilmore on May 17, 2014, 09:08:41 PM
Cheers, fella.   :cheers:

From what you've described, it was a...well it was something.  More than I can say on my end, but that's neither here nor there.  He raised a fine fellow.   :thumbup:

Thanks, Brother Happy  :smile:

Dad was a complex person: he grew up rough on the streets of Cape Town and his only escape was the cinema. He once told me that he could sit in a cinema for the whole day and that would motivate him in life. He passed that on to me. He was also in trouble with the law a lot as a young man and was given an ultimatum by the judge who told him that "You can either go to jail or you can go join the army, navy, police or air force: maybe being a soldier, seaman, cop or pilot will get you straight."

Dad went to the army and the rest was history.  :smile: :smile:

Trevor

It was seven years on Saturday 16th May: this Saturday was really, really a hard day to get through alone.  :bluesad:

Flangepart

Know how ya feel Bro.
Lost my dad suddenly in 83. Aortic aneurysm.
U.S. Navy in WW2, married mon in 54, had me in 56...wonder why Godzilla is my fave.?
Got my sense of humor and taste for fun movies from the old man. Saw KK Vs. G at the old Eastside drive in. He worked days, mom nights, and sometimes we hit the cheap movie places.
"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"

indianasmith

A tip of the glass in his honor . . . and yours!   :cheers:

Take joy in the memories, my friend.  To quote LOTR:

"I will not say 'Do not weep,' for not all tears are evil."
"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"

Trevor

Quote from: Flangepart on May 18, 2015, 01:01:19 PM
Know how ya feel Bro.
Lost my dad suddenly in 83. Aortic aneurysm.
U.S. Navy in WW2, married mon in 54, had me in 56...wonder why Godzilla is my fave.?
Got my sense of humor and taste for fun movies from the old man. Saw KK Vs. G at the old Eastside drive in. He worked days, mom nights, and sometimes we hit the cheap movie places.

*Hugs*

Trevor

Quote from: indianasmith on May 18, 2015, 05:48:17 PM
A tip of the glass in his honor . . . and yours!   :cheers:

Take joy in the memories, my friend.  To quote LOTR:

"I will not say 'Do not weep,' for not all tears are evil."

Hugs

Trevor

This is really strange: seven years on and for the first time, I felt crushed on Saturday, dreading the day.

I went here www.brooklynmall.co.za to go see Furious 7 and I was standing in the foyer of the cinemas there. A wave of sadness washed over me (cliche, I know but it happened) and I left.

Trevor

Eight years gone today: time flies but his influence still lingers. Lots of love, Dad xx  :smile:

Trevor

Gone ten years today: lots of love xx