Main Menu

A special thread for my Dad

Started by Trevor, May 16, 2011, 08:04:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor

Please note: Dad passed away on 16 May 2008 ~ three years today ~ but this is not a morbid or sad thread. Don't forget, I'm talking about the guy who dragged me kicking and screaming (because I didn't want to go in) into a horrible sounding place called THE CINEMA  :buggedout: when I was seven and then had to drag me kicking and screaming out because I didn't want to leave when the movie was over.  :teddyr: This is also the guy who always said that his family and friends should have a party on him when he passed and so we did.  :teddyr: Also, he would have fitted in here quite nicely, thank you.  :smile:

Dad, I love you and you are special: you are there with those great stars that you admired and I continue to admire: knowing you, you're probably having a cold beer with Paul Newman and Robert Mitchum right now. I know I was always terrified of you in life ~ still am ~ but my love for you and yours for me was never in question.

Love you and love from my family here. xx :smile:
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.

Flick James

Well, I say a little fear of Dad is a perfectly natural and healthy thing.

I hope it was a great party.

Cheers,
James
I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org

Trevor

Quote from: Flick James on May 16, 2011, 08:17:30 AM
Well, I say a little fear of Dad is a perfectly natural and healthy thing.

I hope it was a great party.

Cheers,
James

Thanks, FJ and yes it was a good party back in 2008: about five minutes of sadness and then my aunt wiped her eyes and said: "Enough of this crying sh*t, let's have a drink on him." At that, we looked at each other and then burst out laughing, because we knew then that he was with us as he would have been the first to say that.

Mr. DS

Based mainly on the way his son ended up, I have nothing but respect for the man.  :cheers:
DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall

Rev. Powell

I dedicate the beer I'm drinking tonight to Trevor's dad, because I believe he would have wanted it that way.  :cheers: :drink:
I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...

indianasmith

A good Father is one of the best and surest blessings of heaven!
Sounds like you were richly blessed, Trevor.  I know I was.
May he rest in peace, and may you always treasure his memory.
"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"

Trevor

Quote from: The DarkSider on May 16, 2011, 06:32:10 PM
Based mainly on the way his son ended up, I have nothing but respect for the man.  :cheers:

Awww....... HUG!!

Ended up? So long as you're talking about my top half and not where my undies are.....  :teddyr:

Trevor

Quote from: Rev. Powell on May 16, 2011, 08:54:17 PM
I dedicate the beer I'm drinking tonight to Trevor's dad, because I believe he would have wanted it that way.  :cheers: :drink:

I second that, Rev.  :drink:

When we had Dad's memorial service ~ all five minutes of it ~ my cousin offered me a beer, not a soft drink, and I had it. Her mom saw me drinking it, was very shocked and whispered something to Mom. I asked Mom afterwards what she said and it was apparently "TREVOR'S HAVING A BEER!!!"  :buggedout: :buggedout: Mom's reply was "So what? It's one beer. It won't kill him."  :teddyr: :teddyr:

[Embarrassed cough] I should add that I got a bit lost going home a couple of hours later.....  :lookingup: :lookingup:

Trevor

Quote from: indianasmith on May 16, 2011, 11:07:44 PM
A good Father is one of the best and surest blessings of heaven!
Sounds like you were richly blessed, Trevor.  I know I was.
May he rest in peace, and may you always treasure his memory.

Aww.... thanks Indy. He was and in many ways still is a looming figure in my life. I know he was with me at Film School last month ~ he was probably with me when I was at the lab and got too close to the developing tank  :buggedout: ~ and I see him in every single film that I see, though what he would have made of the IMO horrible TV remake of High Noon that I saw the other day, I don't know.  :teddyr:

The Burgomaster

Here's to your dad, Trevor.   :cheers:
"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."

Trevor

Psycho Circus

Bless you Trevor, your dad did a phenomenal job raising such a fine fella!  :smile:

Allhallowsday

My Dad is gone a long time now, and I never had the kind of relationship with him that you described having with your Dad, Trevor.  One of the great regrets of my life was getting old enough to understand things better and learning to compromise and forgive, but it was too late.  Here's to your good Dad.  We all wish we had one.   :cheers:
If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!

Trevor

Quote from: Circus Circus on May 17, 2011, 02:09:01 PM
Bless you Trevor, your dad did a phenomenal job raising such a fine fella!  :smile:

Awww....... HUG  :smile:

Trevor

Quote from: Allhallowsday on May 17, 2011, 08:13:44 PM
My Dad is gone a long time now, and I never had the kind of relationship with him that you described having with your Dad, Trevor.  One of the great regrets of my life was getting old enough to understand things better and learning to compromise and forgive, but it was too late.  Here's to your good Dad.  We all wish we had one.   :cheers:

Thanks, AHD: why did I only see this now?  :smile: