Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:45:47 PM
713370 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  What the SyFy channel should be called « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What the SyFy channel should be called  (Read 11426 times)
WyreWizard
Bad Movie Lover

« on: August 09, 2012, 09:51:03 AM »

Yes, you all know SyFy channel?  (formerly SciFi.)  Well that channel shows a lot of movies and TV shows that are nothing but garbage.  Don't get me wrong, it does show a few good movies and TV shows but those are rare.

But mostly all the movies on SyFy are just plain terrible.  They are all made on a shoestring budget, or have bad actors, bad writers or bad directors.  Everything about them is bad.  They all remind me too much of Monster Movies from the 60s.

I think they should change the name of SyFy.  It should be called BM or Bad Movie channel.  Anyone agree?

Babe, I'm leaving.  I must be on my way.  The time is drawing near.  The train is going.  I see it in your eyes.  The love beneath your tears.  And I'll be lonely without you.  And I'll need your love to see me through.  So please me.  My heart is your hands.  And I'll be missing you...
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 02:01:22 PM »

I dunno, I don't have cable.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 09:17:51 PM »

Sci-Fi stopped being good years ago it seems.  Remember when they used to play Irwin Allen shows? Retro TV late at night with Boris Karloff's Thriller, Lights Out and Tales of Tomorrow? And actual science fiction classics? Sadly this trend of once great channels turning to mindless gop seems to be spreading. In Canada, once TLC, A & E  and History were solid channels from which one might actually learn a thing or two. Now they all play mostly irrelevant reality TV and "quasi-documentary" junk.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 09:27:51 PM »

In Canada, once TLC, A & E  and History were solid channels from which one might actually learn a thing or two.

There were a few years when those were just about all the channels I needed.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 10:02:12 PM »

SyFy channel kinda lost it for me a couple years ago with the introduction of two shows:
Who Wants to Be a Superhero?
ECW

I like Superheroes and it relatively fits the 'sci~fi' genre, however a reality show seems out there.

I like wrestling. But...on the SCI~FI Channel? The hell?

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 11:18:57 PM »

That seems to be the way it always starts. The channel's format starts to get interpreted very loosely. Reality shows and tabloid shows count as documentaries, anything suspenseful is horror, any kind of crazy genre fiction fits under the science fiction label.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 11:27:49 PM »

I like SyFy's "Warehouse 13" series and their Saturday Night cheesefest "Original Movies" are a hoot but yeah, i could do without most of the stuff on their schedule. "Ghost Hunters" was OK for a while but it got old really quick.

Anyone seen the promos for their new upcoming series "Collection Intervention?" Professionals come in to help collectors who have too much stuff - giant comic book collections, tons of action figures, etc. Basically it's like a geek version of "Hoarders."

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 08:35:15 AM »

Given my usual reaction when I see one of their original productions, I always refer to them as the "Sigh-Fi" channel.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 03:33:43 PM »

I still catch some of their original movies once in a while.  Or at least check the schedule to see if it sounds the least bit interesting.  I like their cheesy junk, it's like comfort food.   Smile

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 03:51:37 PM »

I like their cheesy junk, it's like comfort food.   Smile

I agree.  I LOVE the SciFi (refuse the new 'name') originals.  They are the modern equivalent, well sorta, to the B-movies we love from the 50's...the ones we now call 'classics' of the genre.

Bad effects, washed-up or unheard-of actors, meager story lines, low-level distribution...what's not to love?

As I've said before, if we want film makers to stop churning out the same-old 'junk,' crap sequels, non-creative remakes, we have to acknowledge the 'art' in those working off the beaten path.  SciFi originals at least keep the 'b art' alive.

Is it "good?"  No.  But, I argue they are true to the 'art' of film making.  They are fun to watch.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
66Crush
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 04:09:42 AM »

Like everything else on TV SyFy is centered around ratings and money. I remember when reruns of classic science fiction shows were quite commonplace on television. But today if the network doesn't own the actual property it's likely they won't show it. If it's on the air all the time they can't get a big chunk of money from DVD sales. The reason SyFy shows wrestling is that Vince McMahon struck a deal with Universal years ago and they own both USA who shows Raw and SyFy who shows Smackdown. It's the same reason they don't show Doctor Who on SyFy anymore. It's owned by the BBC and economically it makes more sense to to market the old series  strictly for DVD release while promoting the new series on BBC America. Cartoon Network owns the old Hanna Barbera cartoons and that's why you never see those outside of the Cartoon Network or Boomerang. In fact you don't see very many reruns of shows over 20 years old much at all anymore. The market for those old shows are DVD. If you wanna see a really old show, especially an obscure one (unless you can find it on YouTube), chances are you'll have to buy it.
the ghoul
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 09:19:37 AM »

I don't watch it much, but I think the name SyFy is stupid.  They should change it back to SciFi.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, 03:18:08 PM »

I don't watch it much, but I think the name SyFy is stupid.  They should change it back to SciFi.

From what I understand, they changed the spelling because they couldn't trademark the term "Sci-Fi."

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Kaseykockroach
Cartoon Enthusiast and Muppet Fanatic
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2012, 02:20:37 PM »

Let's not kid ourselves, this channel sucked from the word go.

Closetshipper.deviantart.com

"You wanna be a genius, it's easy. All you gotta say is, everything stinks. Then you're never wrong."
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2012, 11:06:44 PM »

Back in the day, SciFi had some of the old TV shows which I don't mind looking at now and again (like "Lost In Space"). 
Now... What the SyFy channel should be called?? 
Sh!tFits. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  What the SyFy channel should be called « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.