Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:19:15 AM
713335 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  If you could cancel one show, what would it be and why? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: If you could cancel one show, what would it be and why?  (Read 41347 times)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2012, 12:57:17 PM »

I would drastically reduce the amount of sport shows on television.  Their omnipresence annoys me and in cases like the original run of Futurama  they kept shows I wanted to see from being shown.

I've always hated the special treatment sports get on TV. The whole schedule can be disrupted just because a game runs too long. Worse still, they still broadcast all the post-game crap, or switch to the end of another game playing around the same time, even when it's cutting into other shows' time slots. When there's a game on, it's as if nothing else matters.

Futurama is a great example. That show was pretty much thrown under the bus by scheduling it right after football every Sunday.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
ChaosTheory
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2012, 01:22:08 PM »

I would drastically reduce the amount of sport shows on television.  Their omnipresence annoys me and in cases like the original run of Futurama  they kept shows I wanted to see from being shown.

I've always hated the special treatment sports get on TV. The whole schedule can be disrupted just because a game runs too long. Worse still, they still broadcast all the post-game crap, or switch to the end of another game playing around the same time, even when it's cutting into other shows' time slots. When there's a game on, it's as if nothing else matters.

Futurama is a great example. That show was pretty much thrown under the bus by scheduling it right after football every Sunday.

They did that with King of the Hill a lot too.  It's really disgusting the way FOX bends over backwards for MacFarlane but they gave that treatment to the quality animation.

Ryan Murphy's little pet projects THE NEW NORMAL and GLEE both need to go.  Both shows constantly tout the message "Discrimination is totes wrong u guyz" but every character (and most of them are racial minorities or gay) is a shrill one-note stereotype.  What's the point? 

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2012, 07:20:52 PM »

King of The Hill could've lasted a few more quality seasons.

Me, I'm a sports guy, so I didn't mind games running long, but then King would be pre-empted, Malcolm in The Middle too.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
66Crush
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2012, 11:01:56 PM »

Excellent point here. I was a big Married with Children fan, as soon as Fox started running football the show bumped all the time. Why does network TV even air sports anymore? Aren't there like a million different sports channels on cable?
66Crush
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2012, 11:08:47 PM »

Sadly sports get special treatment everywhere in life. Schools cut out the arts in favor of them. Our whole society has been based around competition and being the best. Athletes get a free ride in life just for being better at a stupid game. It's a sick thing to subject our children to.
Kaseykockroach
Cartoon Enthusiast and Muppet Fanatic
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2012, 11:37:04 AM »

The New Looney Tunes Show. In general, I wish they had just let the characters die in peace, rather than be subjected to Space Jam, Back in Action, the new CGI shorts, Baby Looney Tunes, etc, etc, etc.

Closetshipper.deviantart.com

"You wanna be a genius, it's easy. All you gotta say is, everything stinks. Then you're never wrong."
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2012, 12:35:50 PM »

The New Looney Tunes Show. In general, I wish they had just let the characters die in peace, rather than be subjected to Space Jam, Back in Action, the new CGI shorts, Baby Looney Tunes, etc, etc, etc.

"Space Jam"....oh,brother! My daughter talked me into taking her to see that. I'm still paying for therapy. Lookingup

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2012, 12:43:24 PM »

TWO AND A HALF MEN....disgusting.

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2012, 05:13:41 PM »

I don't watch 'em, as I don't have a TV, but even when I had a TV, I didn't watch 'em.

They are on TV, at least in part, because of demand and cost. With the proliferation of TV channels, there is more demand to fill the airtime with something anything. And as expensive as they may be to do, they are still one of the cheapest programs to show on TV. And you have enough people that'll watch 'em, that they'll turn in a reasonable profit.

But they have been out there, even before the days of TV. The first one I am familiar with was "Major Bowles Amateur Hour." I believed Frank Sinatra was on, as part of a male quartet, before TV, when it was still on the radio. They lost. I guess Sinatra had more success as a solo act.

Then somewhere between radio and TV, "Major Bowles Amateur Hour" became "Ted Mack's Amateur Hour." I believe Ann-Margaret was on that. She came in second. Losing to a man who played a tune by blowing on a leaf.

But the only one I made an effort to watch was "Star Search," as hosted by Ed McMahon. There was a truckload of now famous people that came out of that one. Though, they did not always win.

One of the most interesting competitions, which I admit, I did not see, was Dennis Miller and Sinbad competing against each other in the comedy category. When the judges voted that first time, they tied. So the decision was sent to the audience, and they tied again, which was unheard of. They came back the next week, and when the judges voted once more, again they tied. Again it was sent to the audience for a decision. And Sinbad won, but by only one vote.

There was also a junior edition of "Star Search," with the same categories, but no comedy category.

That showed, at least, that girls should not compete against boys in the dance category.
Dance is such a muscular activity, and even at that age, boys are more muscular than girls, so boys won a predominate number of the dance competitions.

As for children's beauty pageants, and here we are talking about pageants for girls under 1 to 18, the earliest national one was sometime  in the '60's or four decades after the first national adult beauty pageant.

And there have been complaints, probably as long as they existed, that they exploited children, but even if they stop showing 'em on TV, they probably won't cease to exist. As there are too many of 'em. In any given year, there are almost 25,000 of 'em in the U.S. And they generate too much money. They are thought to generate over a $1,000,000,000 a year.

Oddly enough, or maybe not, there are also beauty pageants for boys, but, the odd thing about that, they are only for under 1 to 6. By the age of 7, there is so little interest in these pageants for boys, that there are few if any in existance.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2012, 06:17:36 AM »

I was up at Tina's apartment-she was switching channels and stopped momentarly on Honey Boo Boo-EGAD. They give poor white people a bad name.
Hell,they give the HUMAN RACE a bad name!

Small | Large

This clip made my stomach  churn...ugh....I actually gagged.  Bluesad

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Olivia Bauer

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2012, 12:42:22 PM »

Jersey Shore! Oh, whoops! Too late!

66Crush
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2012, 02:39:02 AM »

I don't watch 'em, as I don't have a TV, but even when I had a TV, I didn't watch 'em.

They are on TV, at least in part, because of demand and cost. With the proliferation of TV channels, there is more demand to fill the airtime with something anything. And as expensive as they may be to do, they are still one of the cheapest programs to show on TV. And you have enough people that'll watch 'em, that they'll turn in a reasonable profit.

But they have been out there, even before the days of TV. The first one I am familiar with was "Major Bowles Amateur Hour." I believed Frank Sinatra was on, as part of a male quartet, before TV, when it was still on the radio. They lost. I guess Sinatra had more success as a solo act.

Then somewhere between radio and TV, "Major Bowles Amateur Hour" became "Ted Mack's Amateur Hour." I believe Ann-Margaret was on that. She came in second. Losing to a man who played a tune by blowing on a leaf.

But the only one I made an effort to watch was "Star Search," as hosted by Ed McMahon. There was a truckload of now famous people that came out of that one. Though, they did not always win.

One of the most interesting competitions, which I admit, I did not see, was Dennis Miller and Sinbad competing against each other in the comedy category. When the judges voted that first time, they tied. So the decision was sent to the audience, and they tied again, which was unheard of. They came back the next week, and when the judges voted once more, again they tied. Again it was sent to the audience for a decision. And Sinbad won, but by only one vote.

There was also a junior edition of "Star Search," with the same categories, but no comedy category.

That showed, at least, that girls should not compete against boys in the dance category.
Dance is such a muscular activity, and even at that age, boys are more muscular than girls, so boys won a predominate number of the dance competitions.

As for children's beauty pageants, and here we are talking about pageants for girls under 1 to 18, the earliest national one was sometime  in the '60's or four decades after the first national adult beauty pageant.

And there have been complaints, probably as long as they existed, that they exploited children, but even if they stop showing 'em on TV, they probably won't cease to exist. As there are too many of 'em. In any given year, there are almost 25,000 of 'em in the U.S. And they generate too much money. They are thought to generate over a $1,000,000,000 a year.

Oddly enough, or maybe not, there are also beauty pageants for boys, but, the odd thing about that, they are only for under 1 to 6. By the age of 7, there is so little interest in these pageants for boys, that there are few if any in existance.

I'm always curious when I hear people say they don't have a TV. Does this mean you go elsewhere for entertainment (online etc,) or does this mean you simply don't bother with with the visual media in general?
EstherBlodgett
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2012, 01:52:35 PM »

I watch so very little television that I don't feel I am a good judge.
However, most comedies and so called REALITY shows seem
like pointless crap to me just from the commercials.
red lantern
New Visitor

« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2012, 04:43:01 PM »

Futurama also was a victim of 911. Fox stopped showing it for a couple months because -ohmigod!-  it had a cartoon spacerocket crash into a building and America just couldn't deal with that after 911.
red lantern
New Visitor

« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2012, 04:46:43 PM »

If I could fecal container one show it'd  be "the big bang theory". It's just 'Amos n Andy"  done to politically correct standards.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  If you could cancel one show, what would it be and why? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.