Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:12:43 PM
713359 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Happy birthday Kurt Cobain.... « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Happy birthday Kurt Cobain....  (Read 6167 times)
voltron
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: February 20, 2013, 05:05:33 PM »

I was listening to some Nirvana on YouTube today and I saw that folks were wishing Kurt "happy birthday" so I thought a post would be in order. No matter what you think of Kurt or his band, you can't deny that Nirvana were an important band. I first heard Nirvana on a Canadian radio show called Brave New Waves (brilliant show, sadly missed). This was before Nevermind (and "Teen Spirit") went big. At the time I was really burnt out on death metal and to me Nirvana were the perfect band I was looking for, combining loud guitars with pop sensibilities. The only bad thing about them is when the press started calling Kurt the "voice of a generation". That's total and utter BULLs**t. I think I've ranted on this subject before, so I won't bother repeating myself. It's a shame Kurt's life ended the way it did. We sure as hell could use a band like Nirvana considering the state of popular music nowadays. RIP Kurt, you are missed....

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 06:20:16 PM »

yep, Nirvana are not the most popular band on this board, I've noticed... but I love Nirvana. The first time I heard them was also pre-Nevermind/Teen Spirit, when they did a session on John Peel which I recorded onto cassette - granted this was in the days when I would obsessively record anything off the radio that had heavy guitars in it, but at least when they blew up worldwide I could legitimately say I already knew who they were. Nevermind is an amazing album, still now... Agreed with that 'voice of a generation' tag being bull-butter though. probably the last thing kurt would've wanted...

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 08:46:26 PM »

I saw them only once. they were excellent it was the In Utero tour with Jack Smear or whatever his name was on 2nd guitar. At the end of the set Cobain launched his guitar in the air and in like two tries nailed this disco ball that was like 30 feet above thee stage with his guitar. it was remarkable.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 09:12:56 PM »

I absolutely adore Nirvana. I can see why some would dislike them. I will say...we got Foo Fighters out of it.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 11:54:25 PM »

Nirvana recorded a song that was suppose to be a joke- the song defined the 90's in the rock genre. Smells Like Teen Spirit became from what Kurt saw sprayed painted in his room, since (I believe) he used a lot of it and his girlfriend decided to send a message to him.

yeah no.
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 11:59:39 AM »

I saw them only once. they were excellent it was the In Utero tour with Jack Smear or whatever his name was on 2nd guitar. At the end of the set Cobain launched his guitar in the air and in like two tries nailed this disco ball that was like 30 feet above thee stage with his guitar. it was remarkable.
nice. my girlfriend's brother saw them supporting Pixies in 1988 or 89. I think he forgot he'd seen them until they became big!

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 01:13:21 PM »

I really liked their Nevermind album.  A few of their earlier songs were pretty good too.  Just goes to show that simple melodies can be the best melodies.

For me, the entire grunge thing was pretty much that album and about 3 other Nirvana songs.  And maybe 4 other songs by other bands. 

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 03:48:37 PM »

the thing about grunge was it seemed to dominate the music landscape for a couple of years, but there weren't actually that many bands involved from what I recall. off the top of my head: Nirvana, Mudhoney, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains. was that it? maybe Smashing Pumpkins? apart from those I think some other bands got labelled 'grunge' but they weren't really. or at least wouldn't have been lumped together if the 'grunge' tag didn't exist...

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 06:00:04 PM »

Alice in Chains first album, Facelift, hit before Nevermind by Nirvana. Nirvana did an album prior, but it was mainly on college radio.

Somehow, 'Teen Spirit' hit on MTV, and any band from Seattle or with a similar sound automatically got labeled 'grunge.'

Alice in Chains was more heavy, almost to a degree of heavy metal. Pearl Jam was the opposite of Nirvana, who was copying the Pixies.

I love the 'grunge' era, but mainly it came to: Seattle, heroin, and the opposite of glam/hair bands.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 07:09:41 PM »

Zombie - I am not sure Nirvana played w/ Pixies circa those years just sayin
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 02:02:47 AM »

Zombie - I am not sure Nirvana played w/ Pixies circa those years just sayin
perhaps I'm remembering that wrong... never even thought about it before, but now you mention it I don't recall reading about them tour with pixies either. I'm sure it would've been well documented.

ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 12:00:30 AM »

"...Hi, Axl... Hi, Axl..."

The memories, huh?

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2013, 06:42:06 PM »

In the liner notes for the 2-disc Smithereens album It Came From Jersey, they mentioned that Nirvana admitted to having wrote About A Girl after hearing one of the Smithereens songs, though the title escapes me at the moment.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2013, 07:07:25 AM »

I still think Nick Broomfield's Kurt and Courtney was a major hatchet job on KC.  Thumbdown

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Happy birthday Kurt Cobain.... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.