Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:28:16 AM
713389 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Movie Reviews  |  Noah (2014) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Noah (2014)  (Read 8016 times)
Pacman000
« on: January 20, 2017, 12:57:18 PM »

I wrote this after seeing the film in theaters, nearly 3 years ago now:

Well, we went to see Noah this weekend.  I wish we hadn’t.  Now, I wasn’t one of the movie’s detractors; I expected it to be good.  It wasn’t.
   In the movie, Noah sees a vision of a flood.  Realizing that the world is going to be destroyed, and wanting to know what to do, Noah and his family journey across the barren land to see Methuselah.  All right, some expansion is understandable; Noah only takes up a few pages in Genesis.  But, oh, how they expanded it!
   Along the way they rescue a young girl from Cain’s descendants.  That’s an understandable expansion, but just wait.  Cain’s descendents chase Noah, his family, and the girl, into a forbidden zone.  This is where the writer/director goes off the deep end.  The forbidden zone’s boarder is marked by poles set on a foundation of skulls; sort of like the forbidden zone in “Planet of the Apes”.  As soon as Noah and his family pass the skulls, they’re captured by “the watchers.” The watchers are angels who fell trying to help humanity after Adam and Eve were cast out of Eden.  Oh, it gets worse.  The watchers are encased by rocks; they look like stone-age transformers.  One of them helps Noah find Methuselah, who gives Noah a spiked drink.  Noah goes on a trip and completes his vision.  Yeah, that’s what the director decided.
   Anyway, Noah, his family, and the fallen-rock-angels build the ark, which looks like a big wooden box, and all the animals come.  The animals attract Cain’s descendants.  (Noah was building the ark in a secluded place; before then he lived alone with his family.  He’s not a preacher of righteousness* in this movie.)  Cain’ descendants want to kill all of Seth’s descendants, so they decide to attack the ark, but they need an army to defeat the angel-boulder-transformers.  You know that cool scene in the trailer where Noah tells the King that he’s not alone?  Well, Noah’s not referring to God in that scene; he’s talking about the fallen-rock-angels.  (if you don't remember the trailer I've included a link to it at the end of the review.)
   Cain’s descendants leave to build weapons, and Noah begins to look for wives for his sons.  After seeing a vision of man’s inhumanity, Noah decides that the Creator wants to save animals, not people, so Noah stops the search.  Que melodrama.
   Ham leaves to find a wife.  He does, but it starts to rain.  Noah rescues Ham, but leaves the girl behind.  Noah, his family, and the girl they rescued get on the ark.  The leader of Cain’s descendants also is able to board, by chopping a hole in the ark’s side.  Somehow, the flood’s torrential waves don’t rush in and sink the ark, and the only person to notice him is Ham.  Ham doesn’t tell Noah.  Why is never explicitly explained.  Let’s just assume that Ham is mad at his dad.
   The girl Noah and his family rescued was injured.  The injury healed, but it made her barren.  Just before the flood, however, Methuselah healed her.  On the ark, she gets pregnant.  Noah, however thinks that God wants men to die off, so he decides to kill the child if it’s a girl.  Never mind that the film’s repeatedly emphasized that killing is wrong, and that it’s a major reason for the flood.  
   So the day comes and the girl has twins, two girls.  Now all three sons can have a wife, but Noah wants to kill the kids.  Ham, however has been helping Cain’s descendant.  During the birth, Ham had Noah come to the ship’s lower level, where Cain’s descendant plans to kill Noah.  Ham is supposed to help, but he can’t, so he kills Cain’s descendant instead.
   They reach land, and Noah discovers that he can’t kill his grandchildren.  Convinced that he failed God, Noah gets drunk.  The girl they found convinces him that God left humanity in his hand to do whatever he wanted with, because Noah is loving and merciful.  This satisfies Noah, so they all go to the top of a hill.  God appears as a ball of light which shoots rainbow-colored concentric circles.  The camera focuses on one of those, fades out, the credits roll, and we leave disappointed.  
   The problem with this film is that it treats the Bible like a standard fantasy story.  No, strike that.  The film versions of Lord of the Rings or the Wizard of Oz may have changed the story a bit, but at lease they got the feeling right.  This movie didn’t.  It’s additions did not enhance the story; they detracted from it.  Besides, the additions de-emphasized God.  A movie based on the Bible shouldn’t do that.  

*Noah was called a "preacher of righteousness" in 2 Peter 2:25. http://biblehub.com/2_peter/2-5.htm

Trailer:
! No longer available Small | Large

Edit: Corrected some grammar & spelling mistakes. Added references to make the review clearer.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 10:36:21 AM by Pacman000 » Logged
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 06:18:21 PM »

IN my review, I said that NOAH was like the SyFy Channel trying to tell a Bible story.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Pacman000
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 09:20:48 AM »

Thanks for the response Indy!  I believe you were quoting your wife in that review.  Here's a link: http://www.badmovies.org/forum/index.php?topic=143656.0

I found this on a thumb drive yesterday, & thought it would be interesting.  I didn't even read it all the way through before posting it.  Now that I have, I realize that it needs editing.  

« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 10:38:25 AM by Pacman000 » Logged
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 09:16:01 PM »

IN my review, I said that NOAH was like the SyFy Channel trying to tell a Bible story.

Seems to me like this would be what Asylum put out if there was a big blockbuster megahit called Noah's Ark that came out around the same time.
BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 02:08:43 PM »

Normally, I am interested in anything Biblical and/or historical, but, I never saw this, as from the trailers I did see, I could see that it'd be a train wreck of major proportions. Though, maybe I should have seen it, just for that reason.

The things the Bible didn't tell you about Noah and the Flood. Though, the Bible does tell us, that all 3 of Noah's sons were married at the time of the Flood. Which the filmmakers chose to ignore for some reason.

This, of course, is not the 1st time that the story of Noah and the Flood has been told. And hopefully, despite this, it won't be the last time the story is told. The story that I remember best was in 1966's The Bible : in the Beginning, with this being just one of the stories in Genesis being told, film directed by John Huston, and with an all-star cast, including John Huston as Noah.

Sorry for the double post, but using the library's PAC, I had trouble trying to post this. I removed the 2nd post. Sorry again for the double post.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 02:54:17 PM by BoyScoutKevin » Logged
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Movie Reviews  |  Noah (2014) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.