Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:18:39 AM
713391 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  We're losing our Mart of K later this month « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: We're losing our Mart of K later this month  (Read 22489 times)
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2021, 06:49:40 PM »

^ It closed yesterday.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/business/2021/09/27/last-kmart-michigan-close/5882648001/
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 06:52:00 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
WingedSerpent
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2021, 09:31:16 PM »

I heard either today or yesterday there's only 6 left in the entire USA.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2021, 08:18:00 AM »

I heard either today or yesterday there's only 6 left in the entire USA.

...and oddly, two are in New Jersey.

One of them (Westwood, NJ) was our "rival" store when I worked at the now-defunct Paramus, NJ KMart in the 80s/90s. Our store would play a softball game against them every summer and they'd always kick our ass.  TeddyR

A good friend from the KMart days and I are fascinated by the Westwood store's continued survival. Every time Sears/KMart announces more closures, we always scan the list, wondering if their number is finally up, but they keep dodging the bullet again and again.
We joke that Westwood must be the Highlander (or maybe the Betty White) of KMart. "THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!"
« Last Edit: November 13, 2021, 08:27:57 AM by FatFreddysCat » Logged

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
sprite75
The Cat Herder of Badmovies

I'm a Mac...

« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2021, 08:41:56 AM »

Our former ShopKo building is going to be torn down sometime in the near future.

A Dubuque property that formerly housed a big-box retailer soon will be leveled to make way for future development.

The former Shopko building, located at 255 John F. Kennedy Road, will be demolished this winter, confirmed Cafaro Co. spokesman Joe Bell.

“We will probably proceed with demolition within the next month,” he said. “It is a very good location, and, from a real estate development standpoint, the land itself is more valuable at this point than the building.”

The structure largely has been vacant since Shopko closed its doors in the summer of 2019. Shopko Optical also operated within that structure and moved out later in the same year.

That building's been there as long as I've been alive.  It was expanded to its current size back in the late 1980s.  So it'll be different to have it gone.

God of making the characteristic which becomes dirty sends the hurricane.
pacman000
« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2021, 05:20:04 PM »

That’s kinda sad; still looks like a decent building.
sprite75

I'm a Mac...

« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2021, 06:02:01 PM »

That’s kinda sad; still looks like a decent building.

Yeah it still looked to be in decent enough shape even though it's been empty for over two years now.  I'm guessing what's going on is that the new business that wants to move in looked at renovating and it turned out that it would be more cost effective to tear down and put up one or more new buildings instead.  We were all joking that we hoped it wasn't a new car wash or fast food joint. 

sprite75

I'm a Mac...

« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2022, 07:15:23 AM »

The Mart of K is going to be down to its last three stores pretty soon

The familiar sights and sounds are still there: the scuffed and faded floor tiles, the relentless beige-on-beige color scheme, the toddlers’ clothes and refrigerators and pretty much everything in between.

There’s even a canned recording that begins, “Attention, Kmart shoppers” — except it’s to remind folks about COVID-19 precautions, not to alert them to a flash sale over in ladies’ lingerie like days of old.

Many of the shelves are bare, though, at the Kmart in Avenel, New Jersey, picked over by bargain hunters as the store prepares to close its doors for good April 16.

Once it shutters, the number of Kmarts in the U.S. – once well over 2,000 – will be down to three last holdouts, according to multiple reports, in a retail world now dominated by Walmart, Target and Amazon.

FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2022, 01:28:27 PM »

A good friend from the KMart days and I are fascinated by the Westwood store's continued survival. Every time Sears/KMart announces more closures, we always scan the list, wondering if their number is finally up, but they keep dodging the bullet again and again.
We joke that Westwood must be the Highlander (or maybe the Betty White) of KMart. "THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!"

I guess my old co-worker and I were right. Avenel NJ store is closing, Westwood is the Last KMart Standing in the Garden State.

(William Shatner voice) but... for... HOW... LONG?

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  We're losing our Mart of K later this month « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.