Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:15:44 AM
713330 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The WORST DVD collectionsd I've ever bought « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The WORST DVD collectionsd I've ever bought  (Read 5780 times)
Chainsawmidget
« on: July 19, 2017, 02:54:40 PM »

I'm a sucker for those 10, 20, or even 50 DVD packs.  Usually there's always a few good ones in there, and often something new that I'd never heard of before that I enjoyed. 

This one though, it's just bad. 

First off, 50 fright classics.  From the title alone there are certain things you'd expect.  You'd expect them all to be "Fright" movies, maybe horror, some old sci-fi with giant monsters, a creepy murder mystery, things like that. 

You'd also expect there to be 50 of them.  It says it right there. 

There's not 50 and they're not all "fright" movies.  (I already expected them to not all be classics.) 

24 of those fifty are EPISODES of old serials.  Granted, they have two entire serials here (The Undersea Kingdom and The Lost City) but those aren't anybody's idea of fight classics. 

So... 26 Fright Classics and some serials? .... Nope.  Wrong again. 

One of movies Medusa is a gangster movie (and there's no woman with snakes for hair) and another, the Milpitas monster, CUTS OFF and returns to the title about halfway through the movie!

And on top of that, the picture quality is really bad on a lot of the movies, ranging from old worn out VHS tape to Old Worn Out VHS tape that somebody uploaded onto Youtube. 
claws
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 03:09:14 PM »

Sounds awful. Hope you didn't pay too much for it. I bought a cheapo DVD of The Milpitas Monster back in the 2000s, retitled as The Mutant Beast. Bad movie, bad picture quality, but it was at least "uncut."
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 11:53:13 PM »

I got it cheap, but I still feel ripped off. 
javakoala
Hermit of Horror
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Does ANYBODY remember this guy?

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 09:57:31 AM »

And on top of that, the picture quality is really bad on a lot of the movies, ranging from old worn out VHS tape to Old Worn Out VHS tape that somebody uploaded onto Youtube. 

HEY!!!  I resemble that last comment.

(This has been a plug for Deranged Visions, my Youtube channel, and I approve of this message.)

I feel more like I do now than I did a while ago.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 12:32:49 PM »

the Milpitas monster, CUTS OFF and returns to the title about halfway through the movie!

I have this movie in a different 50-movie pack. You're probably better off that your version cuts off and returns to the title. Although, the movie is entertaining in an odd sort of way . . .

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 02:25:45 PM »

I'm a sucker for those 10, 20, or even 50 DVD packs.  Usually there's always a few good ones in there, and often something new that I'd never heard of before that I enjoyed. 

This one though, it's just bad. 

First off, 50 fright classics.  From the title alone there are certain things you'd expect.  You'd expect them all to be "Fright" movies, maybe horror, some old sci-fi with giant monsters, a creepy murder mystery, things like that. 

You'd also expect there to be 50 of them.  It says it right there. 

There's not 50 and they're not all "fright" movies.  (I already expected them to not all be classics.) 

24 of those fifty are EPISODES of old serials.  Granted, they have two entire serials here (The Undersea Kingdom and The Lost City) but those aren't anybody's idea of fight classics. 

So... 26 Fright Classics and some serials? .... Nope.  Wrong again. 

One of movies Medusa is a gangster movie (and there's no woman with snakes for hair) and another, the Milpitas monster, CUTS OFF and returns to the title about halfway through the movie!

Never heard of this set, but thanks for the warning. With the exception of MILPITAS MONSTER (heard of it, never viewed it), I probably own copies of most of this, an'hoo.

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
TYTD Review
Bad Movie Lover

We got Movie Sign!

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 03:37:22 PM »

Eesh I tend to collect the 50 film multipacks I'll steer well clear of this set! looks like some company just told the work experience guy to go and pull up 50 public domain items that sounded vaguely spooky xD

alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2022, 04:02:06 PM »

I have MEDUSA in a MillCreek set called CHILLING CLASSICS.

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2022, 04:07:09 PM »

I have MEDUSA in a MillCreek set called CHILLING CLASSICS.

Welcome back 😊🐢

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Cult_Moody_Movies
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2022, 01:53:57 AM »

The multipacks are a gamble. When you buy the like of Millcreek and others there are things to take into account. 

Pros -
You get a lot of movies to add to your collection.
You get a lot of movies to watch.
There are different collections (western, sci-fi, fantasy, horror) to choose from.
If you are getting into genre cinema this is a great way to expose yourself to classics, cult classics and B-Movies.

Cons -
Horrid transfers/picture quality.
Bad sound.
Mostly full frame.
Not all the films are even decent.
Some of them are public domain which you can get on Archive.org or YouTube.
Pretty clunky packaging.

claws

Occidentali's Karma

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2022, 04:21:30 PM »

I was never really a fan of multipacks mainly because of the poor quality. I did buy one back in the 2000s because it included a few titles I wanted to revisit

Eternal Evil (1985) ~ weird slow burn canadian supernatural thriller co-starring Karen Black. The picture quality was even worse than the VHS I once rented.

All the Kind Strangers (1974) ~ a creepy childhood late night TV fave. It was made for TV so the quality was never that good to begin with.

Terror at Red Wolf Inn (1972) ~ bizarre PG horror with surprisingly decent quality. It might have been the edited TV version, not sure.

Kind of curious if they still make these 50 or 100 movies DVD multipacks.

Is it October yet?
chainsaw midget

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2022, 07:50:37 AM »

Usually the poor quality doesn't bother me.  It depends on how poor we're talking.  A lot of movies have added charm when watched on grainy scratchy transfers.  It makes them feel more authentically late-nite schlock. 

The fact that not all the movies you get are going to be good is just part of the gamble.  Again, it somehow feels more authentic.  Like when you turn on a late night movie or rented a movie based on nothing but the cover. 

Zipper
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2022, 05:53:25 PM »

They're so great. But they're getting harder to find. Where did Prism entertainment DVDs go? I feel like a golden retriever in the bargain bin trying to find the last one. No shame!
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2022, 11:39:52 AM »

My sister was staying in Kabul a few years ago and she brought me a St Clair Vision box set of horror DVDs from there: titles include Nightmare Castle, Invasion of The Bee Girls, White Zombie, Wasp Woman etc.

The quality is bad (especially Nightmare Castle) but I liked watching them  Smile
« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 10:29:16 PM by Trevor » Logged

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
claws

Occidentali's Karma

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2022, 05:02:38 AM »

Usually the poor quality doesn't bother me.  It depends on how poor we're talking.  A lot of movies have added charm when watched on grainy scratchy transfers.  It makes them feel more authentically late-nite schlock.  

Point taken, especially when I feel like a nostalgic VHS rental poor quality retro-night movie watch.

Then you have films like Messiah of Evil (1973) that only had poor quality on VHS for decades

cropped, washed out, blurry, loss of detail.

Finally restored, color corrected and in the proper aspect ratio

This is how the film was always meant to be seen.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 11:21:55 PM by claws » Logged

Is it October yet?
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The WORST DVD collectionsd I've ever bought « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.