Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:14:49 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Gargoyles (1994) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gargoyles (1994)  (Read 2026 times)
WingedSerpent
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« on: February 11, 2018, 03:40:22 PM »

Since we seem to be talking about favorite cartoons from the past.  How many watched the Disney produced show Gargoyles  which first aired back in 1994.

An excellent blend of magic and science fiction.  Gargoyles tells the story of a race of creatures that by day turn to stone but by night awaken to fight and protect the people they care about.

In ancient time, Goliath (the main hero) and his clan protected a castle.  One day they are betrayed by some of their human friends and many of the clan are destroyed.  Only a few survived and fin themselves placed under a curse that keeps them asleep for 1000 years.  Waking  up in modern day New York, their story continues.

Much like Batman:The Animated Series-this show would often get dark and deal with more adult situations then your average afternoon cartoon.  Topics such as racism , homelessness and gun violence were dealt with often with realistic aspects.

People could get seriously hurt, even die.   Characters where complex and underwent serious development.

Coupled with that, Gargoyles would have everything from magic, to aliens, to mutants and outcasts.  In the end, the show formed a comic book style universe that could compete with anything Marvel or DC put out.

Wonderful designs and animation.

The only thing that might put people off is that the show did have a strong continuity to it. While there were plenty of stand alone episodes, its best to start with the first episode and work your way through the show in order.

! No longer available Small | Large

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
316zombie
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 05:19:06 PM »

i watched it,along with a few of my regular daytime customers at the bar i worked at then. and we discussed the themes too....but it wasn't exactly your normal bar.
BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 04:44:07 PM »

A well remembered show. So, here are some facts about it, both known and unknown to me, that some of you might find interesting.

Gargoyles: the Movie
For a long time, and I don't remember, whether it was to be animated or live action, but there was some talk of doing a theatrical film version of the show, after it ended its run on TV.

Star Trek
There are almost a dozen actors in both the Star Trek TV series and films that voiced characters in Gargoyles.

Shakespeare
References many of the characters found in Shakespeare's plays.

Symbolism
Many of the characters' names are symbolic.

Comic
Originally the show was suppose to be a light comedy, but when they found that would not work, the show became darker and more serious.

Gay character
If the show had continued, then it might have become more obvious that Lexington was gay, but the lack of obviousness is due to when it was produced, and the production company who made it.

Fan Convention
Between 1997 and 2009, there was an annual fan convention The Gathering of the Gargoyles.

All of this makes me to think back to when it was on TV, and a wish that it was still on TV.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Gargoyles (1994) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.