Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:06:30 PM
713365 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  The Public Domain Thread « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The Public Domain Thread  (Read 8351 times)
pacman000
« on: May 26, 2019, 09:30:11 AM »

So now that most things published in the U.S. before 1923 are in the public domain, let's create a thread of everything which is now free:

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/59112/59112-h/59112-h.htm

R. U. R. (ROSSUM’S UNIVERSAL ROBOTS) The play which first used the word "robot" to mean "artificial person."
pacman000
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 09:05:28 PM »

More should be falling into the public domain this year. Know of anything interesting?
pacman000
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 10:18:10 PM »

The Great Gatsby https://en.m.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Great_Gatsby_(1925)
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 08:55:23 AM »

"Great Gatsby" is the headliner for sure.

Here's a pretty good list:

https://web.law.duke.edu/cspd/publicdomainday/2021/

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
pacman000
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 09:32:57 AM »

Thanks. Here's works from 1925 which Google's scanned: https://www.google.com/search?tbo=p&tbm=bks&q=the&tbs=,cdr:1,cd_min:Jan+1_2+1925,cd_max:Dec+31_2+1925&num=100
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 06:31:05 PM by pacman000 » Logged
pacman000
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 02:03:46 PM »

RATS! Amazing Stories won't start falling into the public domain till next year.  Bluesad https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazing_Stories#1920s

Argosy & All Story had some sci-fi stuff tho: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argosy_(magazine)
pacman000
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2021, 02:49:52 PM »

Apparently, the story Freaks (1932) was based on is in the public domain: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spurs_(short_story)

Not a new entry this year either; it was published in a magazine in 1923.
pacman000
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2021, 12:55:45 PM »

New PD-Us music:

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1 Small | Large
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2021, 02:36:58 PM »

In South Africa, films fall into the public domain after 50 years and unlike in the USA, copyright can't be renewed.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
pacman000
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2021, 12:24:19 PM »

Copyrights can't be renewed in the U.S. either, not today.

Copyrights in the U.S. used to last 28 years. They then could be renewed for a second 28-year period. This changed in the 70's when the U.S entered the Berne Convention. Then things get more complicated...

Works published before 1964, I think, fall under the old rules. Works published after that date have their copyright renewed automatically.

In the early 90's, congress decided to let people or groups who own works first published outside the U.S. renew U.S. copyrights on works which had already entered the public domain in the U.S, if said work was still copyrighted in their own country. Say you were in Germany in 1950, & you published a book. It was translated & sold in the U.S. in 1951. Twenty years later, the book's gone out-of-print, so you let the U.S. copyright expire. You could, in theory, petition the courts to renew the copyright on your book. However, if you were in the U.S., & you published a book in the U.S. in 1950, & you let the copyright expire, you cannot petition the courts to renew the copyright.

Is that as clear as mud? I'm talking about things which are above my paygrade & outside my field of expertise.

In the late 90's, the U.S. extended their copyright terms, from 50 years after the death of the author, to 70 years. They could've done so again two years ago, but they didn't. My thoughts: by the late 70's & into the late 90's, most works were made by extremely profitable companies, who could lobby to have copyrights extended, & there wasn't a powerful lobbyist group to oppose them. Today there are some major tech companies who make a lot of money by organizing data, not by creating data, so they'd have their own lobbyist groups working to shorten copyright laws. Again, I'm talking about things which are above my paygrade & outside my field of expertise, so take that with a grain of salt, or a whole salt shaker.   Smile
claws
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2021, 12:48:39 PM »

Personally I don't get the appeal of public domain movies. Are there rare gems that never aired on TV or made it to video?
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2021, 01:10:57 PM »

Personally I don't get the appeal of public domain movies. Are there rare gems that never aired on TV or made it to video?

The appeal is that you don't have to pay anyone to use, broadcast, copy, or make transformational art from them.

claws
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2021, 02:07:15 PM »

The appeal is that you don't have to pay anyone to use, broadcast, copy, or make transformational art from them.

Well, for me as an average movie watcher/physical media collector those things don't apply to me at all.  Smile
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2021, 02:49:02 PM »

Well, for me as an average movie watcher/physical media collector those things don't apply to me at all.  Smile

Other than the fact that resellers who sell you public domain content shouldn't be charging as much, no. You can also stream or download p.d. stuff for free without transgressing anyone's rights.

pacman000
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2021, 03:10:47 PM »

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1 Small | Large

Is Zorro in the Public Domain?
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  The Public Domain Thread « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.