Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:36:17 PM
713374 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  COMIC BOOKS « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
Author Topic: COMIC BOOKS  (Read 48979 times)
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #105 on: March 30, 2022, 08:01:47 PM »

I got this paperback too!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #106 on: March 30, 2022, 08:19:12 PM »

I went to the 50% off sale at a local comic store this past weekend. I actually went twice: Friday (their website said they were open until 7:00 . . . but they actually close at 6:00 and I didn't have time to finish shopping). Saturday (finished shopping!).

I ended up buying 36 Silver and Bronze Age issues
* Weird War Tales

Oh my. I loved that comic.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #107 on: April 08, 2022, 02:57:04 AM »

A near mint condition copy of a 1941 comic featuring the first appearance of Captain America has been sold for over three million US dollars (£2.3 million) at auction.

The sale makes the Captain America Comics No 1 one of the top five most valuable comic books in the world.

The edition features the well-known Marvel superhero, played by Chris Evans in the film franchise, punching Adolf Hitler in the face on its cover.

It also introduces readers to Captain America’s sidekick Bucky, played by Sebastian Stan, and their Nazi nemesis Red Skull, played by Hugo Weaving.

The final sale price was 3,120,000 US dollars (£2.4 million), and the item was sold as part of Heritage Auctions’ comic and comic art events in Texas.
At the same auction a CGC NM-9.2 copy of the Fantastic Four’s 1961 debut sold for 1.5 million US dollars (£1.1 million) (Heritage Auctions/PA)

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #108 on: April 08, 2022, 09:47:23 AM »

^ They name the actors in the movie, and nothing about Simon and Kirby?  Question

« Last Edit: April 08, 2022, 10:01:45 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #109 on: April 30, 2022, 01:03:45 PM »

I'm bidding on this now!

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #110 on: May 01, 2022, 12:21:30 PM »

I won it!  Thumbup

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #111 on: May 01, 2022, 04:31:35 PM »

Nice one. :) I was watching something I wanted to bid on that no one else had, but forgot when I expired and missed it.  BounceGiggle

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #112 on: June 02, 2022, 08:29:19 AM »

Creepshow to return in short run comic.

https://ew.com/tv/creepshow-comic-anthology-first-look/

ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #113 on: June 02, 2022, 09:55:03 AM »

It may be my native Celtic gloom peering out but it has felt to me for a long time now that the comics industry is in a serious gully as far as quality and imagination. I think that's afflicting a lot of other fields in the entertainment industry but with comics it feels particularly, dismally true.

One example, they ended Hellblazer a decade or so ago in the midst of a great run, then brought it back as this train wreck of woke awfulness.

That's just one case but it's indicative of what I've seen among graphic novel offerings for most of the last ten or fifteen years.

We went through a golden age in the late-20th century and even for a while in this century comics rode on momentum, and then it is like the bottom fell out of creativity. I have looked hard to find something new to interest me and I haven't found much, and what I have tried to delve into hasn't matched the quality of a generation ago when we had The Sandmen, The Watchmen, Sin City, Ghost World, Hellblazer, The Cartoon History of the World, Maus, and so many other great series either having just wrapped up a good run, or they were still ongoing at the same time.

I don't read super hero comics, never have no matter how many times people have tried to push Batman on me, so maybe that part of the field is doing great, I have no idea. But as far as graphic novels that radiate their sheer brilliance....it's been a long time since I've encountered anything new or relatively new that has impressed me.

I know I grew up amid a once-in-a-lifetime run of freakish greatness in the field, but I hope things turn around eventually and some new blood comes in with talent to bring out what comics can be.

And by the way, in my day we had to trudge barefoot seven miles through hip-deep snow to get to comic shops!

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #114 on: June 02, 2022, 11:57:18 AM »

It may be my native Celtic gloom peering out but it has felt to me for a long time now that the comics industry is in a serious gully as far as quality and imagination. I think that's afflicting a lot of other fields in the entertainment industry but with comics it feels particularly, dismally true.

One example, they ended Hellblazer a decade or so ago in the midst of a great run, then brought it back as this train wreck of woke awfulness.

That's just one case but it's indicative of what I've seen among graphic novel offerings for most of the last ten or fifteen years.

We went through a golden age in the late-20th century and even for a while in this century comics rode on momentum, and then it is like the bottom fell out of creativity. I have looked hard to find something new to interest me and I haven't found much, and what I have tried to delve into hasn't matched the quality of a generation ago when we had The Sandmen, The Watchmen, Sin City, Ghost World, Hellblazer, The Cartoon History of the World, Maus, and so many other great series either having just wrapped up a good run, or they were still ongoing at the same time.

I don't read super hero comics, never have no matter how many times people have tried to push Batman on me, so maybe that part of the field is doing great, I have no idea. But as far as graphic novels that radiate their sheer brilliance....it's been a long time since I've encountered anything new or relatively new that has impressed me.

I know I grew up amid a once-in-a-lifetime run of freakish greatness in the field, but I hope things turn around eventually and some new blood comes in with talent to bring out what comics can be.

And by the way, in my day we had to trudge barefoot seven miles through hip-deep snow to get to comic shops!

You had comic shops? You have no idea how lucky you are. In my day we'd to make our own comics with 2nd hand toilet paper and our own blood for ink.

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #115 on: July 14, 2022, 06:00:57 PM »

Last week a local comic store put out boxes and boxes of comics for $1.00 each. They much have had a few thousand comics in those boxes. I ended up buying just over 50 comics from the 1980s and early 1990s (that's sort of my usual cut-off point because I think comics went drastically downhill after that). They are all in excellent condition. Most of the ones I got were SUPERMAN or ACTION COMICS (starring Superman). But I also got 1 FANTASTIC FOUR, 1 EVERYTHING'S ARCHIE and a few IRON MAN. I didn't have time to look through all the boxes (which probably would have taken about 3 hours if I wanted to do a thorough job), so I probably missed out on a lot of good stuff.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #116 on: July 15, 2022, 02:03:18 PM »

I, myself, lost interest in comic books about 1979. And yes- I prefer Marvel over DC.

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
The Burgomaster

« Reply #117 on: March 09, 2023, 02:51:39 PM »

A local comic store just had a 50% off sale. I grabbed 30 comics, including a huge run of Kamandi (I have #1 - 58 and just need #59 to complete the series) as well as some Daredevil, Weird War Tales, Iron Man, Green Lantern, Detective, Jimmy Olsen, Lois Lane and House of Secrets.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #118 on: March 09, 2023, 03:29:45 PM »

I always liked Weird War Tales. I have KAMADI#1- bad shape.
I have lotsa war comics. I reckon I should try running my scanner again. It works, I just been lazy.

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
The Burgomaster

« Reply #119 on: March 22, 2023, 09:25:42 AM »

I finally decided to move my comic boxes off the floor in a spare bedroom. I bought 4 Origami foldable shelving units for the basement. Each one has 4 shelves that can hold up to 250 pounds (much less if you put the wheels on, but I'm not using the wheels). I'm using the bottom 3 shelves of each unit for comic book boxes and I'll use the top shelves for some of my board games as I'm completely out of shelf space in the spare bedroom.

The Origami units are great. They come already assembled (except the wheels) and are folded on hinges. You just remove them from the packing box, unfold them and snap 2 locking clasps into place. It takes less than a minute to set up each one. Which is great for me because I hate assembling things.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  COMIC BOOKS « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.