Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:36:51 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent Viewings, Part 2 « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 243
Author Topic: Recent Viewings, Part 2  (Read 594913 times)
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #555 on: September 20, 2020, 09:36:23 AM »

"Kill, Panther, Kill!" (aka "Kommissar X: Three Blue Panthers," 1968)
An international thief escapes from police custody and heads to Canada (?), to reclaim a hoard of priceless jewels he'd stashed away before his arrest. Swingin' P.I. Joe Walker and his lunkheaded police buddy Tom Rowland just happen to be in the area for the Expo '67 World's Fair in Montreal (which provides plenty of stock location footage for padding) and they inevitably get mixed up in the shenanigans involving double-crossing gangsters and murder.
This was the fifth installment of the German/Italian "Kommissar X" series and it was clear by this time that they were running out of gas. The "Eurospy" craze was on the way out by this point so the globe-trotting spy-and-counterspy elements are mostly dropped and the result is a pretty basic slap-sticky cops & robbers action comedy.
Fortunately, there are still plenty of pretty girls to ogle while Tony "Joe Walker" Kendall and Brad "Rowland" Harris beat up  an endless stream of bad guys. Below average for this series, but still an enjoyable bit of nonsense on a chilly Sunday morning.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #556 on: September 20, 2020, 05:20:15 PM »

"Halloween" (2018)
Blumhouse Productions (of "Insidious" and "Paranormal Activity" fame) reboots the Michael Myers saga (for the second time) with this 40th anniversary remix that erases everything but the 1978 original from series continuity. Laurie Strode has spent the last 40 years preparing for Michael to return to Haddonfield, and when he escapes on Halloween night she goes all Sarah Connor to protect her estranged daughter and granddaughter from the horror.
...this was my 2nd viewing of this flick and while I still feel the whole exercise was fairly unnecessary, I actually liked it better this time around. I guess if you gotta watch a "Halloween" installment this time of year, you could certainly do worse than this one.

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #557 on: September 22, 2020, 11:39:04 AM »

horsehead (2014) - I like the concept here about dreams and seeing weird stuff and having it mean something, but this ran out of steam pretty early and kind of frittered away the whole concept.

2.5 /5
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #558 on: September 22, 2020, 11:49:09 AM »

horsehead (2014) - I like the concept here about dreams and seeing weird stuff and having it mean something, but this ran out of steam pretty early and kind of frittered away the whole concept.

2.5 /5

That one seemed tailor-made for my taste, but word-of-mouth was so bad I never got around to it.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #559 on: September 22, 2020, 10:34:11 PM »

one weird thing about it was it was French but in English.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #560 on: September 23, 2020, 08:56:44 AM »

COMA [KOMA] (2019): A man wakes up in a dreamlike world with no memory, and discovers he's in a coma and living in a shared reality with others in the same situation. An effects movie where the CGI is a notch below Hollywood quality--but closer to that standard than I've yet seen in a Russian flick---but the imaginary landscapes up INCEPTION, with entire city blocks of morphing buildings springing up at right angles to each other (and sometimes randomly growing out of pastures). Honestly, the characters were cardboard and the plot had some issues, so it wasn't perfect by a long shot, but I enjoyed it as much as TENET. 3/5

FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #561 on: September 23, 2020, 09:22:00 AM »

"Heart of Batman" (2018)
A behind-the-scenes documentary looking back at "Batman: The Animated Series," the early '90s show whose distinctive look and vibe picked up where Tim Burton's "Batman" films left off and became what some consider the best-ever adaptation of the character. Interviews with cast and crew members, plenty of trivia for Bat-geeks and animation nerds.
This was originally a bonus feature on the "Batman: T.A.S." Blu-Ray collection but it's now available for free viewing on Warner Bros.' YouTube channel.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #562 on: September 24, 2020, 08:42:35 AM »

TOMASSO (2019): An aging American director living in Rome goes to AA meetings and struggles to relate to his much younger Moldavian wife, with the occassional fantasy scene (a la Fellini). It's embarrassing when your self-indulgent semi-autobiographical tale is boring, which, despite Willem Dafoe's best efforts, Abel Ferrara's TOMASSO too often is. 2.5/5.

Gabriel Knight
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #563 on: September 24, 2020, 09:52:49 AM »

LA HABITACIÓN DE FERMAT (2007)

4 mathematicians are invited to solve an enigma. Once there, they're locked in a mechanically shrinking room and given 1 minute to solve each puzzle via cellphone while also figuring out why they're there.

This spanish movie, which translates to FERMAT'S ROOM, starts really good. The characters are clearly defined, and the mystery hooks you in really quickly. Despite its low budget, the single room trick works really well, as it quickly turns from a nice and cozy place to a death trap, and basically that's all you need.

Sadly, the resolution of the movie doesn't make much sense, and to be honest the whole plot is overly complicated, I'm not going to get into details in order to avoid spoilers. My main gripe is that the movie doesn't exploit the mathematicians enough, you barely know what the extent of their skills are and the riddles aren't all really... mathematics. Still, they get you on your toes, which it's what they're for, so they do the job.

It's a rather short movie so it's good for a quick and fun ride, check it out. 7/10  Thumbup

Check my crappy and unpopular reviews and ratings:

https://www.imdb.com/user/ur85652268/?ref_=nv_usr_prof_2
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #564 on: September 25, 2020, 08:45:07 AM »

DIVA (1981): A postman finds himself chased by multiple parties when his bootleg tape of an opera diva is surreptitiously switched for a tape that implicates a mob boss. Very stylish, has a great (if unlikely) chase sequence, and you'll enjoy it more if you don't think too hard about the plot machinations. A cult film in France. 3.5/5.

pacman000
« Reply #565 on: September 25, 2020, 11:29:40 AM »

Swiss Family Robinson (1960)

Fun old adventure movie made by Disney, similar feel to their adaption of 20,000 Leagues under the Sea.

It's not a literal adaption of every scene from the book, but the movie still manages to capture the right feel. Also, good FX work, on par or better than a lot of stuff done today.
Dr. Whom

Cthulhu for president! Why choose the lesser evil?

« Reply #566 on: September 26, 2020, 09:09:52 AM »

#Alive (2020)

Sometimes you inadvertently make a movie that comes at just the right moment. This zombie-comedy romp is entertaining and very watchable, but doesn't add that much to the genre. However the theme of the internet savvy nerd with no particular life skills being holed up in his flat while an epidemic rages outside, certainly struck a chord in these times of lockdown, making it far more popular than it would have been otherwise. Full marks for the performance of Yoo Ah-In and, as the movie is basically just him and a bunch of zombies. His character is no cool Charlton Heston in the Omega Man, but a guy who makes up in determination what he lacks in general competence. Similarly Park Shin-Hye does a great job as the level headed half of the duo.

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #567 on: September 26, 2020, 03:11:55 PM »

MST3K: EARTH VS. THE SPIDER: The experiment is a very dumb, formula Bert I. Gordon giant monster movie (though the special effects are better than usual), preceded by a short about public speaking. It's a solid episode with a lot of laughs and some memorable bits in Crow's screenplay "Earth vs. Soup" and the ever-quotable line "lots of lip and tongue action." One of about 10 original run episodes I'd never seen before. 3.5/5.

FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #568 on: September 27, 2020, 06:02:25 PM »

"Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn)" (2020)
Margot Robbie returns as Harley Quinn in the pseudo-follow up to "Suicide Squad." After a messy breakup with the Joker, Harley strikes out on her own, eventually teaming up with three other female badasses in an all out battle against a Gotham City crime lord.
Loud, dumb, and occasionally funny, "Birds" seems to be trying to cop the comedic ultra-violent style of the "Deadpool" flicks. Margot Robbie is clearly having tons of fun beatin 'the crap out of dozens of bad guys (and of course she looks smokin' hot while doin' it) but the movie isn't nearly as clever as it thinks it is.
Watchable, but disposable.

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #569 on: October 01, 2020, 12:00:10 PM »

Sennentuntschi (2010) - ahh Switzerland: cuckoo clocks, folk dancing, and wholesome mountaineering. "not this time..." Hillbillies make a sex doll that comes to life. They forgot to read the fine print of the local legend tho. advocates for traditional marriage will find some good ammunition here 5/5
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 243
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent Viewings, Part 2 « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.