Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:26:12 AM
712924 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Alex's even longer post thread. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 75
Author Topic: Alex's even longer post thread.  (Read 198630 times)
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #705 on: December 02, 2022, 07:31:17 AM »

A previous ex once told me that she was worried I'd die alone. I don't see why that should be considered a bad thing. I mean if I am dying with other people, then presumably it is some sort of accident or act of war. I'd kinda like some privacy myself.

OK, for some reason that is just cracking me up this morning!   BounceGiggle

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #706 on: December 02, 2022, 07:39:20 AM »

A previous ex once told me that she was worried I'd die alone. I don't see why that should be considered a bad thing. I mean if I am dying with other people, then presumably it is some sort of accident or act of war. I'd kinda like some privacy myself.

OK, for some reason that is just cracking me up this morning!   BounceGiggle

Glad I was able to assist you in smiling. It is a Friday. Everyone should be happy.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #707 on: December 03, 2022, 11:20:29 AM »

Watching some old Dr Who episodes (Seeds of Destruction). When I was a kid, I so used to love watching Tom Baker episodes. Still don't think anyone has played the doctor better.

Kristi started throwing up last night, and Ash had a rough night too. This meant I had a rough night. By the time morning came, I was in no mood to go compete in a tournament so I've dropped out. Shame about the money for the ticket. I am hoping though that Kristi will be feeling better for the night out we had planned after it.

Nope, the night out is now also cancelled. We are just doing great this weekend.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #708 on: December 04, 2022, 03:59:26 PM »

Well, we didn't get what we'd planned done, but we had a generally good weekend regardless. I lay in bed today until almost 10 (generally, even at the weekends I am up before 7) and we went into Elgin. We'd picked up some cards for a just-giving tree and got the presents for them. I picked up a Lego set, a Batmobile, a couple of books and some selection boxes. Not the most I've picked up for someone at christmas, but it will have to do. Unfortunately, I am watching my spending in preparation for my upcoming retirement.

Semi-retirement before 50 sure does sound good though. Screw the rat race. If I can find some job that allows us a decent, but not excessive lifestyle I will be quite happy.

We've lived in this house for 10 years. Shame to think that this is our last festive season in it. We've spent our whole married life together here. It is the only home Ash has ever known. I have no wish for him to have my history of moving house every 3 years on average.

Impressive just how quickly time can pass. It does not feel like I've been married for nearly 10 years now, or a father for close on 5. The days go by slowly, but man do those years rush past quick or what?

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #709 on: December 07, 2022, 06:39:04 AM »

A much-delayed visit to Aberdeen finally took place yesterday. Finally got to meet baby Cecelia. Her dad handed her to me with her lying down and she started crying. I just moved her into an upright position, and she snuggled in and went straight to sleep.

We exchanged presents with their families and picked up the last of the gifts we needed to get. Even though I'd picked up everything I'd planned on getting Kristi, I still managed to pick her up some new ones for her. I got young Adam a bunch of Warhammer 40K books and some demons (or daemons as GW prefers to call them as they can copyright misspelt words) of Tzeentch for his 1,000 Sons army. The models I got him are called Pink Horrors. If you kill one of them it splits into two less powerful ones called Blue Horrors, so I got him some of them too. I wish he was closer and I could help him more. School is tough for him right now.

Anyway, Kristi had her appointment and is a step closer to getting UK citizenship. I still find it surprising just how many people I know who are moving from the US to the UK. When I was a kid, the movement all seemed to be in the other direction. I wonder if this is just an aberration and not reflected across wider society or not. The last person I knew who was considering moving that way, would be me, but Kristi decided she'd rather move to the UK and has surprised me by still not wanting to move back to the US after 10 years away. I am not sure she even really wants to go back for a holiday next year. I would like to take Ash though to meet his family over there. Whatever someone's heritage is really worth, it is part of his, and he could choose to take US citizenship when he turns 18.

The Tuesday night Dungeon Master and I have been deep in debate over how Juanita now looks since switching from being a human male, to being brought back to life as a female Orc. Her charisma score increased due to a DM ruling, and since her personality hadn't changed, I said her looks must have improved dramatically to account for this sudden bonus. It did come as a major surprise to me when I discovered that the rest of the party actually liked Juan and were happy to cough up enough diamonds to pay to have him brought back. He believes himself to be superior to everyone else in the group and acts that way, seeing them more as useful servants that equal companions and acting accordingly.

Mind you, he is still getting over the shock when he realised Juan(ita) is only 17. He berated the rest of the group for letting a teenager lead all these older adventurers. I believe the line he used was:
Today I learnt Juan is a teenager and he's been bossing you all around for a year

What is this, anime?

Makes me chuckle every time I read it.

Kristi likes to give presents early, something I've banned her from doing. We came to an agreement where each one of us can give the other a present, but they get to give you one back early too.

Sometimes I get a bit creative though.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 05:02:57 PM by Alex » Logged

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #710 on: December 09, 2022, 04:47:43 AM »

Kristi managed less than 10 seconds before she decided to open her present (tickets to go see Wicked. Alas the shows are not until next December, but that gives us plenty of time to book a hotel).

You know those mornings when you are cosy in bed and just don't want to get out? Yeah, they seem to be every morning for me at the moment. Normally I wake up long before the alarm goes off and switch it off. This week I've twice had it wake me up. Normally I might get woken by it, maybe once or twice a year. I guess I am just mentally on my wind down, adjusting to the thought of leaving. For 21 1/2 years, I've kept my eyes on the prize at the end of it and now it is almost here.

Finding out what comes next is going to be an awfully big adventure. I look forward to finding out what it is. Of course, not all adventures have good endings, but we shall just have to see how it goes. If I had avoided the bad ones, then life would have been much duller. The trick is to learn from your pain and move on. I've met a lot of people trapped in past bad times who never manage to get any further than their trauma.

This time last year I was feeling quite excited about the thought of Yule. I distinctly recall having Chris Rea's "Driving Home From Christmas" stuck in my head. It would be the first one that Ash would be old enough to understand anything about what was going on. Then I got the fateful phone call telling me I was being deployed on Op Rescript over the festive period. While on the one hand, it was a job I was quite happy to do and in many ways, I feel it was the most worthwhile thing I have done during my military career, just how I ended up on it left a very sour taste in my mouth. Combined with the 5 days' notice to deploy I was supposed to have being reduced to a grand total of 24 hours and 10 minutes, it was the final nail in the coffin that settled my do I stay or do I go debate about remaining in the military. This year as we head towards the same period, we are facing a strike by ambulance workers, so I am feeling more sanguine about the whole thing and I won't be celebrating until I am off on leave (and my phone might spend the entire time out of power so no one can call me in). Although doing that would screw over my manager at work who I actually think is a decent guy, so the chances are I'll do as I am told and just grumble about it.

Attended a talk on the whole Ukrainian situation. They discussed how Putin had spent decades building up to the current invasion, prepping the ground in speeches, how the west's attempts to appease him had been a waste of time (and indeed played more into his hands), how he'd put out a false narrative where he could blame the west for forcing him into this course of action (I had to stifle a good laugh at this given how relevant this would be here) and the concessions that he'd continually demanded from the Ukrainian government. It was pretty damning of how the west had acted overall, comparing it to a lower-scale version of the events that led to World War 2, by not acting sooner.

My boss has his fitness test today. If he passes, then we all get to go home early. Here's hoping. I spent 5 hours last night working on the map of a spaceship for a sci-fi horror one-shot I am going to run. I looked at it today and decided it didn't look right and would need to be entirely redone.

Got a busy weekend on. Running a game tonight, taking Ash to Inverness tomorrow to go see Peter Pan and then on Sunday we have a new D&D campaign starting where I get to play. I've gone with a character who is part gipsy nomad, part swashbuckling pirate.

ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #711 on: December 09, 2022, 09:47:20 AM »

A. You have a cool signature.
B. What happens if your boss fails his fitness test?
C. There is no C.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #712 on: December 09, 2022, 09:55:13 AM »

A. You have a cool signature.
B. What happens if your boss fails his fitness test?
C. There is no C.

A. It is a line from a Gary Numan song.
B. Initially he must attend 3 weekly PTI led fitness sessions. Karl is seriously into his martial arts and is normally a very fit guy, but didn't keep up his training over Covid (fitness testing was suspended during it). He has 3 months to resit and pass it. If not then they will start disciplinary action against him. If he continues to fail after that, he'd face being kicked out.
C. But I can see the sea.

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #713 on: December 09, 2022, 11:12:49 AM »

« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 11:22:18 AM by Alex » Logged

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #714 on: December 10, 2022, 04:41:17 PM »

We went out to Inverness to take Ash to see his first pantomime (Peter Pan). Since he doesn't like loud noises and crowds we weren't confident it would go well, but we did our best to prep him. We sat down and explained to him in advance what it would be like. It went pretty well. He got a bit restless towards the end, but in general, it was good.

The new D&D campaign starts tomorrow. Looking forward to that. On the one I run on Friday, one of the players decided he wanted to play a pacifist. I said that was fine and that explained unless he contributed to the party in some fashion, he wouldn't get XPs for the fights. So the group makes it to the end up the adventure, big fight against some cultists and a demon, and he runs off to hide in a corner. The party are really struggling and he sits back and does nothing. Fair enough, he'll get points for roleplaying, but I said to him that if he did not in any way contribute to the group success, then he couldn't expect to get any points for it. I'd put in situations where he could contribute without getting directly involved in the fight and he still did nothing. I could tell the rest of the players were getting frustrated with him, and to be honest I was feeling it too. Initially, he got rather upset and announced he was quitting my game, blaming everyone else but himself. Everything he said though, I pointed out it was his choice to play that way and no one else had forced him into it. Anyway, by the end of the night he apologised for throwing his teddy out of the pram and said he'd like to keep playing. He did get XPs, but not quite as many as the players (who came very close to dying on the fight to be honest).

Ah, the younger generation. He isn't a bad kid, just needs to learn a bit.

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #715 on: December 11, 2022, 04:50:20 AM »

Prepping for todays gaming session. This lot took us a fair chunk of Friday night to build up into its separate sections.

I can't find a figure of someone armed with a double-ended scimitar, and don't feel like paying the money required to have a custom fig made by Heroforge (at least, not this month, maybe in Jan).

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #716 on: December 11, 2022, 03:44:06 PM »

Well, session 1 seemed to go mostly well. The party got offered a large sum of gold to investigate a strange temple, walked into an obvious trap (knowing it is a trap), set a swarm of bats of fire (which in turn set the oil-soaked halfling wizard on fire. Luckily there was a handy fountain for him to dive into.

Two of the players were running late and asked if I could create a character for each of them. Well one of them ended up with a name that translates as "I like to suck cock" (Ahlik T'Su K'T'Bohbie), and the other ended up playing a monk whose only clothing consists of 7 pairs of lime green loin cloths (and is called Mafist Yerface).

My character (who if they were from this planet would be a Bedouin tribeswoman), has mentally divided the group up into two sections. The useful people and the idiots. Both Ahlik and Masfist (along with the aforementioned halfling wizard), are in the idiot's section, while myself (of course), our Elfish ranger and a cleric are in the useful people section. The plate-wearing party members are infiltrating what seems to be a scientologist-type group by spending 3 days at one of their retreats, while the rest of the group are trying to break into the temple to explore it a bit more stealthily. We ambushed a couple of guards to knock them out (we don't know if there is anything wrong with this temple, we have been asked to investigate it). I knocked out one of the guards, while the monk accidentally punched the second one to death.

I knew I should have rolled him a paladin.

Anyway, that is as far as we got. It was good to meet up with some friends we hadn't seen since before the lockdown and covid. It turned out that the two separate groups of friends that we introduced to each other already knew each other (although mostly from over a decade ago and hadn't seen each other since).

This is us paying an earlier, perfectly not stealthy visit to the temple just to see what it was like.

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #717 on: December 12, 2022, 06:28:49 AM »

I wish time felt less like going downstream in a river. Even if you can't go back the way, it would be nice to have more of a choice on where it leads you too.

One more week to make it through. I can do this. Conspiracy theory boy is off sick (except he never gets sick. He told me so on multiple occasions. Maybe it is down to the NWO poisoning him, although it seems from recent stuff that it must be those dastardly Americans behind it (and when people say America, do they mean all of America (as in both continents), just one of the continents, or even just one of the countries that happen to sit in those land masses?)

England must be out of the world cup. There was no mention of football on the news yesterday or today. Doubtless the ref was biased or something because no one is just ever beaten by a better team.

Still chuckling over the burning bats from yesterdays game. Don't get me wrong, covering them in oil then settling them alight was a good way of dealing with a swarm. Getting yourself covered in oil during the process was less of a good idea though, especially not when the bats targetted on him and followed him everywhere he went.

It is looking like a slow week this week. I certainly won't complain. A peaceful week leading up to a few weeks off would certainly be a nice touch.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 08:38:23 AM by Alex » Logged

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #718 on: December 13, 2022, 05:10:00 AM »

It felt quite warm walking in this morning (comparatively for the time of year anyway). I got in the office, started up my machine and so forth as per usual, looked out the window and suddenly we had a couple of inches of snow and a RED warning for snow and ice.

Not getting home easily then.  Bluesad Oh wait, I can just walk home. No problems with driving a car in bad weather for me. BounceGiggle

Still, I might just stay in the office over lunch rather than plough through it all. I am not feeling like facing the weather this morning. Those skies are a dirty grey colour that promises much in the way of wet legs. Ah for the days when I loved the challenge of bracing weather. Nowadays, I like my comforts more. No more running around the hills in all sorts of weather.

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #719 on: December 14, 2022, 04:55:35 PM »

This morning, outside of our street it was a sheet of ice. Kristi had signed up for a first aid course so I was supposed to drop Ash off at nursery. Nursery got cancelled though, so Ash ended up coming in to work with me. Since it was a slow day, Karl said I could work from home.

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 75
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Alex's even longer post thread. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.