Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:42:18 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Alex's even longer post thread. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 75
Author Topic: Alex's even longer post thread.  (Read 200195 times)
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #495 on: April 25, 2022, 01:19:36 PM »

the cabin of a WW1 tank.

German anti-tank gun. The same weapon was mounted on a lot of their big cat tanks (well the Tiger II or King Tiger anyway).

Kettengrad, a sort of tracked bike that could be used to tow big guns around. Rather a complicated design which limited its usefulness, but I think it looks cool. In the background is an American ambulance.

WW1 tank. The big bundle of sticks would be dropped into trenches so they could then drive across.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2022, 03:43:33 PM by Alex » Logged

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #496 on: April 25, 2022, 01:20:34 PM »

Back in the early 70's we had a WWII era Army Jeep in the barn.
We were just renting the property, so it wasn't ours. I wonder if it's still their?  Question

It would be worth some money if it was. Even if it couldn't be repaired, collectors are always in the market for spares.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #497 on: April 25, 2022, 01:26:44 PM »

Tiger 131. The world's only original still running Tiger I. Captured in North Africa, the battle damage that caused the crew to abandon it is still visible on the turret, although you can't see it from this position really (you'd need to be above it). If you've seen the movie, Fury. This is the tank they used in the film for the ambush of the Sherman column. Just like in the movie, if you wanted to get through its armour in a Sherman then you really had to hit it from the sides, or preferably the rear to stand a chance of getting through its armour. Had it been given sloped armour, it would have been even more difficult to penetrate.

Imgur has really messed up the order I uploaded the photos in.

Kubelwagon, the German equivalent of the Jeep.

Including original drivers!

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #498 on: April 25, 2022, 01:32:57 PM »

Armoured cars, which are like tanks but not as cool.

The queen of the desert, the Matilda II.

The brown tank is a Churchill, which was a very slow tank, but one that wasn't stopped by terrain. They were very useful in the mountains of Italy and came in a number of different builds with different guns fitted. Some of them were used as flamethrower tanks but would tow a large bowser behind it negating the normal risk of your tank being blown up if your flame thrower fuel was detonated. The tank two up from it (B43), I think is a Sherman (I couldn't get any closer to have a better look at it), but I haven't seen one before with a gun that large.

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #499 on: April 25, 2022, 01:37:23 PM »

This tank until a few years ago was in running condition and took part in Tiger Day, however stress fractures had started to appear in the metal and they had to take a decision on replacing parts or retiring it. It was decided to keep it as original as possible and sadly the tank will move no more.

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #500 on: April 25, 2022, 01:54:57 PM »

Not even halfway through these photos yet. They are a mixture of the ones I took and the ones Kristi took.

Back to armoured cars. For some reason, this one reminds me of an ex-girlfriend's nipples which were lethal weapons on a cold night.

Ever seen a WW2 movie and wondered what the inside of the German half-track looked like, while all the soldiers were running out of one, only to get gunned down?

This is a Carden Loyd tankette. Also used to tow guns around.

Inside a turret.

In front of the Panther.

Size comparison of a WW1 tank (or Land-Ship as they were known).

I am not 100% sure of this, but I think this is a Pershing which was an American heavy tank. It was only introduced at the tail end of the war, but it proved to be more than a match for Tigers (such was how quickly tank design advanced during the war that something that was cutting edge on introduction was virtually obsolete a few years later).

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #501 on: April 25, 2022, 02:03:05 PM »

A German WW1 tank. Only about 20 of these were actually made so this is pretty damn rare.

The first thing that hit me looking at this was the width of the treads.

Me and Ash waiting for the bus to go home.

Kristi took this one. I am guessing you are looking down the barrel of a gun here.

[img width=400https://i.imgur.com/9kow33S.jpg[/img]http://

You can just see a tiny bit of the shell impact I mentioned earlier on this photo towards the front of the turret, just to the side of the open hatch. Note the interlocked wheels. On the Eastern Front, these would prove to be a nightmare. Mud would build up between the wheels and then freeze overnight preventing the tank from moving. If just one of those wheels is damaged you had to remove a lot of the other ones in order to replace it.

Not a WW2 tank, so I have no idea on this one.

Ugly all day.

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #502 on: April 25, 2022, 02:05:50 PM »

This is a rather rare bird. A German WW1 tank. Only 20 of these were ever produced and much like the French attempt at tanks, was not very good.

And that is them all done. If anyone does have a real hankering for old tanks, I do also have some videos of the Tiger and a Panzer III running around a track. The Panzer III is tiny compared to the Tiger. Anyway, if that does interest you, let me know and I'll send you links for the videos.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2022, 09:27:43 AM by Alex » Logged

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #503 on: April 26, 2022, 01:28:20 PM »

Today I did some research on how early I can have worked my final day in the RAF. It turns out if I carry over the maximum amount of leave I can, and don't sign up to any resettlement courses, I can be retired in very early April. I'd still technically be in the RAF for another 4 months, collecting a steady paycheck and all, but I'd be free to enjoy my time just however I so please.

The only question is, what to do with that free time. We are already planning on going back to the US so Kristi can see her family, but almost all of our holidays have been to see family members and both of us would like to see more of the world than that. I have a mild hankering to go see Vienna. Everywhere else I'd like to go in the world seems to have an unfortunate problem with either (or indeed both), high crime or terrorism (curious though that despite the problems the US has had with those, that we are still willing to visit. If you ever want to read something to put you off visiting the states, try their government's advice to tourists. There is a mighty big list of things not to do on that (offhand I recall from my first visit when I read all the paperwork from cover to cover: Don't hang around the Mexican border region, don't sit in your car in a motel car park, if you find yourself in a ghetto type area, put the pedal to the metal and get the hell out of there, stay in tourist areas, avoid inner cities, outer cities, suburbs and rural areas. Eventually, it stops talking about risks from other humans and does mention something about bears. I think there is a small patch of land somewhere in Kansas that is safe to visit, a couple of feet across, but that might just be an urban legend. Been a few years since I have read it though, wonder if it has been updated in the meantime). On the one hand I could have visited them when I was single, on the other hand travelling alone is boring.

And you have no one to cut the Achilles tendons of, so you can escape the bears while they feed. Don't do that if you are attacked by wolves though. They like to chase their prey, so let your companion flee and the pack hunters will chase them while you casually stroll out of there making up a story about how you bravely tried to rescue your friend.

If it is some sort of big cat the chances you are f**ked whatever you do though. They will play with you either way.

Hmm, tempted by Iceland. I wonder if I could talk Kristi into visiting there. Maybe do an island hopping thing and visit the Caribbean.

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #504 on: April 26, 2022, 02:02:40 PM »

Nice pics, I trust the three of you had a great day out.

Got me thinking: there was a military museum in my home town: I wonder if its still open?

As for places to go, come to South Africa 😊😊🐢

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #505 on: April 26, 2022, 02:06:29 PM »

We may do that Trevor. I really enjoyed the visit. Kristi said she enjoyed it, but I suspect she is just saying that to make me happy.

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #506 on: May 01, 2022, 03:26:55 PM »

I've been speaking with the local games store about running some one-shot RPGs on Saturday nights. They mentioned giving me a free figure for every game I run.

Well, that is me sold on it.  BounceGiggle

It is also potentially a route into one possible post-retirement jobs, being a paid DM.

It would also save me the bother of actually having to look for a real job, although it does mean dealing with people. Ah, if only I could get rid of a load of them, what a more peaceful and quieter place the world would be. Shorter queues for everything too.

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #507 on: May 02, 2022, 05:40:56 AM »

I am listening to a few Lovecraft podcasts this weekend.

Ever wondered why all these ancient alien creatures from the remotest parts of the galaxy would pick our little planet to settle on? Shame he never lived long enough to develop his background enough in ways like that. Then again, I get the impression he wasn't overly happy with his own stories. I wonder what he'd have thought of his eventual success?

Or what that world would be like if rather than just stories, there really was a dark underworld, just hidden beneath the surface. Creatures living beneath our cemeteries and graveyards (did you know there is a difference between the two? A graveyard is traditionally run by a church and only Christians are normally allowed to be buried there, while a cemetery is run by the local council and welcomes everyone regardless of affiliation), feeding on our remains, or lurking deep beneath the waves. How many of us would be able to survive in such an environment and would we be part of the blissfully ignorant masses or amongst the few who know something of what is really out there.

What place horror movies in a world where such things are real?

Looking at the themes of many films I don't really see that making much of a difference. Maybe secretive government departments might try to limit what they show, careful not to reveal any ways that people might accidentally copy something in a film and summon up something.

The joys of where my thoughts go when I am thinking up another short story.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #508 on: May 02, 2022, 11:52:19 AM »

Me and Lovecraft have the same birthday! August 20th!

I think Lovecraft had manic depression. I never seen a photo of him smiling. He worked in pulp magazines all his life; but did exchange letters with fellow authors Clark Ashton Smith, August Derleth, and a young Robert Bloch. He was also very racist.

I always enjoyed his work.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2022, 12:05:15 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #509 on: May 02, 2022, 12:54:32 PM »

Me and Lovecraft have the same birthday! August 20th!

I think Lovecraft had manic depression. I never seen a photo of him smiling. He worked in pulp magazines all his life; but did exchange letters with fellow authors Clark Ashton Smith, August Derleth, and a young Robert Bloch. He was also very racist.

I always enjoyed his work.

I read somewhere that he lived off ice cream and only ever went out at night: I don't know if that's true 🤔🐢

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 75
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Alex's even longer post thread. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.