Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:49:21 PM
713364 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Drainiac « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Drainiac  (Read 3235 times)
chainsaw midget
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: January 05, 2021, 10:12:30 PM »

I'm going to admit there are some movies I check out simply because of the box art.  I'm sure you all, being fellow bad movie fans, can relate. 

Drainiac is one of those films.

The is the box art. 

And this is the box art. 

and this is the box art.

and this is the box art.

Looking at them all in a row, I was left wondering what kind of movie this even was. 

The first poster makes it look like a kind of 80s grossout movie. 

The second one, one of those soulless modern cg monster movies without any good gore or nudity. 

The third makes it look super low budget 90s, straight to video. 

The last one makes it look like some bargain big movie that probably doesn't even have a coherent plot and the girls that do get naked probably aren't ones that you want to see naked anyway. 

So, I tracked the movie down and gave it a watch.  It was actually filmed in the very late 90s and released early 2000 but watching it it could have easily been a late 80s, early 90s movie.  Out of all the poster the gross-out guy cover fits the feel of the movie the best, but the Cg bathscene one actually captures what's going on better, despite the movie lacking any cg.  The special effects all appear practicle, stop motion, some puppet monsters, and lots of reversing the film, and while cheesy, it works pretty good. 

The movie itself is about a group of friends trying to clean up an old house that just happens to be infested by some sort of water tentacle demon ghost, making it feel somewhere inbetween a haunted house and a monster movie. 

The cast also features a few characters that are very entertainingly unlikable, especially the girls father.  At one point he tells her she needs therapy.  When she asks if he'd pay for it, he asks why should he.  She's the one that's messed up.   

Another scene has him mentioning how she's always complaining about lacking money.  When another guys says she should get a job, he points out that she has one.  She works for him.  They ask if she pays her and he comments, why should he?  he gives her food and a place to live. 

if you haven't seen it, I'd suggest checking it out.  It's pretty fun. 

kornula
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 12:55:57 AM »

I have to say, I like the first poster over all.. I'd watch it based on that alone.
claws
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 01:56:08 AM »

It's from the same director who gave us A Nymphoid Barbarian in Dinosaur Hell (1990) and Mysterious Planet (1982). I had no clue  BounceGiggle

He also did the special effects for Raiders of the Living Dead (1986) which I also own.

Looks like he's very close to the Polonias, they worked together on several projects.

Never seen Drainiac but his résumé at IMDb looks quite impressive, filled with awful sounding campy Z-Grade titles.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 01:59:03 AM by claws » Logged
Ticonderoga 64
Disillusionist
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2021, 06:06:49 PM »

It's from the same director who gave us A Nymphoid Barbarian in Dinosaur Hell (1990) and Mysterious Planet (1982). I had no clue  BounceGiggle

He also did the special effects for Raiders of the Living Dead (1986) which I also own.

Looks like he's very close to the Polonias, they worked together on several projects.

Never seen Drainiac but his résumé at IMDb looks quite impressive, filled with awful sounding campy Z-Grade titles.

That would be Brett Piper and he's turned in some very interesting low-budget films over the years. Smile
Zipper
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2022, 01:51:44 PM »

I love Drainiac! This film along got me into trashy movies along with the others included in the bargain DVD set. It's a very cheaply produced haunted house/teen flick with a supernatural entity which doesn't take any meaningful shape throughout the film and the production is awful. The introduction is at least a good enough start and later scenes almost become promising until they fall apart through tedium and incompetence. If you have the patience it's pretty watchable.

The best part is a "steamed death" towards the final leg of the film. Props to whoever was editing, clearly it is meant to be terrifying but it's one of the most hilariously bad deaths you'll ever see.
BedsideGreaser
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2022, 10:11:14 PM »

I am a fan of all the directors work.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2022, 08:34:18 AM »

I'm going to admit there are some movies I check out simply because of the box art.  I'm sure you all, being fellow bad movie fans, can relate. 

Drainiac is one of those films.

The is the box art. 

TeddyR TeddyR Thumbup

The last one makes it look like some bargain big movie that probably doesn't even have a coherent plot and the girls that do get naked probably aren't ones that you want to see naked anyway. 

BuggedoutTeddyR TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
BedsideGreaser
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2022, 02:29:51 AM »

That actress in the beginning looks very much like she could pass
for Betsy Russell's sister!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Drainiac « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.