Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:07:12 AM
713384 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  $AMC $GME Wall St reddit etc « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: $AMC $GME Wall St reddit etc  (Read 3776 times)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« on: January 29, 2021, 11:00:32 PM »

So....

I had been watching a stock ticker name $AMC for a while. Movie theaters have done worse than even restaurants during covid. You can't take-out a movie. The stocks were beaten down and bankruptcy was DEFINITELY on the table. Then...the vaccine(s) came out. I said to myself "it's time to make this trade. it doesn't seem like it now, but we're not in the covid phase anymore, we're in the recovery phase and people are gonna go to the movies." I bought 1000 shares at 2 $ a share, pretty sure I was going to lose all my money but as warren Buffet said "buy when there's blood in the water"

The stock went up a little bit here and there but the vaccine rollout was slow and in general done in an inefficient way. I was beginning to think my trade was doomed. and then...

All this stuff you're reading about happened. At first it was Gamestop, then I was shocked to see $AMC become part of this cause celebre. Earlier this week it went up quite a bit then doubled in the after hours (4 to 6pm) trading. I didn't know what to do. Was it dishonest to make money this way? Am I going to lose my free MA health insurance because I made too much money? I nervously sold half my shares at 19.00 a share, a massive profit

By the next day I was over it, so to speak, and wanted to get out but then I noticed weird rules being enforced. You couldn't buy GME shares but you could sell them.

I did not appreciate this tactic. They were basically saying "yeah were gonna drive this stock down, so you might wanna get out now". No, you don't do that. This is the people's market. These are MY shares you don't coerce me into selling them. Well, I still have 500 shares. I will hold them till they go to zero it's not about money now. I've made money already.

earlier today I saw an SEC official comparing these events to the Jan 6 riots. Here I think is a better analogy

Imagine if, instead of rioting or even protesting, Trump supporters (or whoever) went to Washington DC and spent a ton of money in restaurants and stores, then people who had bet on those entities failing said "no fair, those stores are doomed, we properly bet against them". Would you give a s**t? I certainly wouldn't.

I get criticism that this is all greed and gimmicks and MAGA and so forth. and that people who get in late will lose money rather than make it and yadda yadda.

The problem is: it's just people buying stocks. How can you outlaw that? It's a MARKET. If I want to eat at a crappy restaurant am I allowed to do that?
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2021, 02:21:34 AM »

I've been watching what's been happening on the stock market recently with interest. As long as what people are doing is legal I don't see why it should be stopped, although I don't like to see pension funds taking a hit.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
pacman000
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2021, 09:59:50 AM »

Is this accurate?

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1 Small | Large
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2021, 11:37:43 AM »

It's market manipulation, pump n' dump, probably legal but outside the "spirit of the rules." Companies' stocks are supposed to go up because they are solid businesses and good investments, not because a bunch of people collude to artificially raise the price.

That said, I'm not sympathetic with the hedge funds or unsympathetic with the reddit folks. They found a bug in the system and exploited in cleverly, good for them (and you, lester). There's a David vs. Goliath element to the story that makes it appealing. The market will find a way to react and regulate this in the future, it's pretty clear that this "model" is unsustainable.

That said, while Game Stop and AMC were rocketing up, everything else was solidly down. I lost a lot of money last week. Hell, I might just short the S&P next week for kicks.

That YouTube is pretty good explanation, as far as I know (I'm no market expert).

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2021, 12:10:29 PM »

I can't make heads or tails of this stuff, but it sounds like the Reddit guys turned the tables on the bigwigs.
Hooray for them!

« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 12:13:59 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2021, 12:40:02 PM »

Slight oversimplification, but they pretty much did to the big investors what they've been doing to other people since markets began and the investors don't like it.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2021, 01:08:33 PM »

So- now the big shots are p**sed at the peons for f**king them out of money that said bigshots had been doing all they're professional lives .
Big shots are p**sed? I'm crying them a f**king river.

Or something like that!

I really have not a clue to how the stock exchange works.
For one- I never had left over money. Two- I hate math.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 01:20:56 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2021, 03:10:11 PM »

Rev -  Is shorting AMC into the dirt so all the movie theaters close in the "spirit" of the free market?

If this had happened with toys r Us it might still be there.

its ultimately a kind of sentimental protectionism. like when the govt bailed out Harley Davidson so people could keep not buying their loud as hell motorcycles

« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 03:15:28 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2021, 05:25:23 PM »

Rev -  Is shorting AMC into the dirt so all the movie theaters close in the "spirit" of the free market?

its ultimately a kind of sentimental protectionism. like when the govt bailed out Harley Davidson so people could keep not buying their loud as hell motorcycles

I'm not a big fan of shorting anything and I'm not upset when short-sellers get burnt. (My reaction isn't on that graph. My reaction is a shrug.)

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2021, 05:16:41 PM »

I'm not a big fan of shorting anything and I'm not upset when short-sellers get burnt. (My reaction isn't on that graph. My reaction is a shrug.)

BounceGiggle Lookingup BounceGiggle

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
pacman000
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2021, 05:43:06 PM »

Funny cartoon about this. Very short:

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1 Small | Large

Wink
Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2021, 05:59:23 PM »

I know AMC was able to raise funds due to the stock raise, they've allayed bankruptcy for 6+ months now at least.  So hopefully they can stick around long enough to recover as COVID declines.  So at least something good might come of this.  Oh, though I'm glad you made some money lester.   Thumbup
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2021, 12:07:20 AM »

Rev was right it was a pump and dump and yet...the gov and everyone else got involved not to help "the people" but to help hedge funds who were betting against American companies. it's history now
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2021, 08:22:15 AM »

For once I agree with Lester.  Buggedout

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2021, 09:57:15 AM »

Rev was right it was a pump and dump and yet...the gov and everyone else got involved not to help "the people" but to help hedge funds who were betting against American companies. it's history now

You got an unexpected windfall, and you still have half your shares that can still go up for the reasons you originally bought them. If I was in that situation, I'd be thrilled. What are you going to do with the money?

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  $AMC $GME Wall St reddit etc « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.