Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:50:56 AM
714230 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Why Most Modern Movies Are Terrible « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Why Most Modern Movies Are Terrible  (Read 13852 times)
Trini
Crazy Poor Asian Valley Girl
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2021, 12:53:37 PM »

I'd say it's a mix of nearly all the movies coming out of Hollywood these days being made by a handful of mega-corporations (Disney, Warner, Sony, Paramount, and Universal) and everything being extremely sanitized, corporate, and samey even compared to just ten or fifteen years ago.

Even as recently as the 2000's, even the mainstream Hollywood blockbusters seemed to have more variety and while remakes were incessant and of poor quality, they usually weren't quite as bad as remakes in the 2010's and 2020's. Superhero movies also were nowhere near as dominant either and were generally more enjoyable than the MCU or DC's equivalent.

I think a lot of this decline has to do with the infamous WGA strike in 2007 coupled with the Great Recession that immediately followed afterwards. Studios wanted to cut costs on writing and hired a bunch of whiny college kids who went full high school cliques and mainly hired their friends as opposed to actual writers once they were in long enough to have some level of pull in the writer's tables of various studios.
pennywise37
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2021, 09:12:11 PM »

that sounds about right Studios are known to be cheap ass mofo's even going back to the early days of Hollywood for example John Carradine's career was destroyed by Fox because they didn't like the fact that his price for each film was a bit higher with each film they wanted him for even though the prices were peanuts compared to what the stars were making at the time.  so the fact that they are still like that is no surprise at all
jimpickens
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2021, 02:54:42 AM »

Most modern movies suck due to being remakes, rehashes, sequels, same old comic book based s**t, and wokeism you know get woke go broke.
pennywise37

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2021, 03:09:04 AM »

you know it's funny how some of the greatest films of all time were actually remakes such as The Maltese Falcon (1941) though i didn't love it as much as most people when i watched it a couple years back i think it was? it was a massive hit at the time and it was the 3rd remake of that story.

than you have The Fly (1986) which is also a remake of the (1958) classic as well just two name 2
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2021, 04:35:37 AM »

Ultimately the movies being made are what people pay to see. If we didn’t, they’d try other stuff. I don’t blame the studios. They are just doing what they are designed to do. There are alternatives though, you could support independent films via Kickstarter for example.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
jimpickens
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2021, 01:34:05 AM »

Very few studios have balls or backbone same with producers to stand out and do their own thing.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2021, 02:59:29 PM »

Most modern movies suck due to being remakes, rehashes, sequels, same old comic book based s**t, and wokeism you know get woke go broke.

What's a " woke" movie?
 Can you give an example?
And I never heard the term "get woke go broke".
Did you just make that up? And thought it would catch on because it ryhmes?
 Question Question Question

« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 03:54:48 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2021, 03:47:54 PM »

Most modern movies are terrible because they are full of suck, suckosity and suckism.

This sounds right!  Thumbup

« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 03:56:15 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2021, 04:07:47 PM »

What's a " woke" movie?
 Can you give an example?

Karen???
So woke, that some film critics of color have found the trailer downright laughable.....

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2021, 04:12:11 PM »

What people tend to forget is that most movies of the past were terrible, too. Here's Pauline Kael in 1980: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1980/06/23/why-are-movies-so-bad-or-the-numbers

Written during the golden age of New Hollywood, a year after ALIEN, APOCALYPSE NOW, same year as THE SHINING, RAGING BULL... Most movies of any era cater to popular tastes while taking as many shortcuts as possible.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2021, 04:25:00 PM »

What's a " woke" movie?
 Can you give an example?

Karen???
So woke, that some film critics of color have found the trailer downright laughable.....

EDIT: I looked it up.

Fer crying out loud, it's an exploitation movie!

That's a blockbuster alright!  BounceGiggle

Small | Large

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
pacman000
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2021, 04:26:56 PM »

Jimpickins didn’t make up the phrase “Get Woke, go broke;” it’s been around for a few years now; I first heard it applied to the 2016 Ghostbusters remake.

Basically, a “woke” movie tries to appeal to people who see some injustice in society. If you lean too much into that audience, you may wind up alienating a lot of people, resulting in lower profits.

You could also restate the phrase as “Moralizing at the expense of storytelling is expensive.” That phrase would work if the movie, book, comic leaned right or left.

Keep in mind, some audiences want a moral they agree with; that’s why “Get Out” & “God’s Not Dead” made money.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2021, 04:36:08 PM »

^ I thought folks didn't watch those films just because they sucked.
And it doesn't seem to apply to many films- just obscure s**t that you cherry pick.

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
pacman000
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2021, 04:44:23 PM »

I don’t know how much I agree with the phrase; some of the movies I’ve seen it used against, like Disney’s Star Wars movies, were fairly successful. Or the films had problems besides moralizing, as you pointed out.
pacman000
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2021, 04:47:14 PM »

What people tend to forget is that most movies of the past were terrible, too. Here's Pauline Kael in 1980: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1980/06/23/why-are-movies-so-bad-or-the-numbers

Written during the golden age of New Hollywood, a year after ALIEN, APOCALYPSE NOW, same year as THE SHINING, RAGING BULL... Most movies of any era cater to popular tastes while taking as many shortcuts as possible.
OR...

Movies have been getting worse & worse for years!

DECADES!!

TeddyR
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Why Most Modern Movies Are Terrible « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.