Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:18:09 PM
714316 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Mortal Kombat (2021) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mortal Kombat (2021)  (Read 3249 times)
zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Bad day at the construction site

« on: April 24, 2021, 04:42:32 AM »

I had high hopes that they weren't going to screw this up after the superior animated Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion's Revenge (2020) from last year, but there was so much that the cartoon got right that this one never did, that it's just a damned shame that this was turned into such a wasted opportunity. It's really bad when one of the best bad movies of all time, Mortal Kombat (1995), is a better movie for all the wrong reasons; the main reason being that the 1995 film feels more like the video game than any of the other movies or TV shows in the franchise. The original movie wanted to be just like the video game so much, which is all that the fans really wanted, that that is what it ended up being: a proper homage. This 2021 version is anything but that.

Granted, it helps to be a fan of the video game or at least a gamer to truly enjoy the film franchise, but at the very least they could have tried to make this a good martial arts movie, but aside from a couple of cool moves here and there, a lot of the fight scenes are pretty bland. The only ones that are any good are the scenes involving Sub Zero and Scorpion; everyone else is just meh. Which is probably the worst sin of this movie. Whereas the original 1995 version is just a very enjoyable bad movie with bad fight scenes, this one commits the cardinal sin of being very boring; which sucks because some of the gory scenes can be pretty cool, like the flying demon girl that gets cut in half from head to groin by Kung Lao's spinning razor hat; easily the best "fatality" in the movie. But they left out a HUGE score of characters from the video games, and the ones that they gave us like Kabal, Mileena, Jax, Sonya Blade, Liu Kang, Raiden, Shang Tsung, etc. are boring and lifeless caricatures of themselves. Kano is reduced to strictly comedy relief; Liu Kang who was the main hero of the 1995 film is now just some pretty boy who is overshadowed by his sidekick Kung Lao, which is fitting since the character was virtually ignored in the original film; Jax is a sappy, moping mess who spends most of the film wishing that he had his arms back, which were actually impressively and creatively removed by Sub Zero early in the film; and Shang Tsung has to be the most boring movie villain of 2021, instantly overshadowed by the original 1995 Shang Tsung played to campy and dramatic effect by the great Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa.

I watched this as part of my HBO Max subscription. The movie debuted both on the HBO Max app today for the next 30 days, and in movie theaters at the same time. I must say that I am happy that I didn't pay to watch this in the movie theater. I have a big TV already, but while Godzilla vs Kong (2021) is a film best enjoyed in the movie theaters, Mortal Kombat (2021) is something that should have gone straight to home video. Or okay, let me put it this way, Mortal Kombat (2021) would fit right at home as a bad b-movie on Amazon Prime Video, if that makes any sense. If you really want to enjoy a Mortal Kombat movie, stick with the original 1995 version; that one is at least a fun movie to watch, despite being so laughably terrible.  Cheers

First rule is, 'The laws of Germany'
Second rule is, 'Be nice to mommy'
Third rule is, 'Don't talk to commies'
Fourth rule is, 'Eat kosher salamis'
------------------
The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and says "Make me one with everything!"
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2021, 10:19:29 AM »

I seen bits and pieces from the old '95 version just because I was sitting on the coach and my kids were watching it 20 years ago.
I don't see any reason at all for me to watch this.
This is based on a video game?  Even less reason to watch it.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 08:32:41 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2021, 03:42:54 AM »

I've been waiting ages for this to come out... no idea what's tekken them so long.

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Gabriel Knight
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 03:58:04 PM »

It's amazing how much time helped the original MORTAL KOMBAT movie. I always thought it was a very fun movie and probably the best videogame based film until WARCRAFT came out, but everyone always seemed to remember it as some crappy, unrespected campy trash.

It just needed the lack of creativity of the modern media makers to really shine, it seems.

Check my crappy and unpopular reviews and ratings:

https://www.imdb.com/user/ur85652268/?ref_=nv_usr_prof_2
zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2021, 01:49:46 AM »

It's amazing how much time helped the original MORTAL KOMBAT movie. I always thought it was a very fun movie and probably the best videogame based film until WARCRAFT came out, but everyone always seemed to remember it as some crappy, unrespected campy trash.

It just needed the lack of creativity of the modern media makers to really shine, it seems.

They essentially turned Mortal Kombat into The Karate Kid with that arcana crap. In the original movie and the video games, every fighter showed up at the tournament with their respective powers and/or talents. In this movie, they had to "learn" their power in order to compete in the tournament (which didn't even happen in this movie anyway.) Imagine if Bruce Lee showed up in Enter The Dragon (1973) not knowing any martial arts, and had to learn martial arts before he became The Dragon. It's just silly how they tried to rewrite the entire lore for this genre. Now Mortal Kombat (1995) looks like Lawrence Of Arabia (1962) because of this movie.  Lookingup

------------------
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2021, 08:52:29 AM »

I'll end up watching this at some point

I loved the games as a kid and the first movie is the best videogame to movie adaptation I've seen

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Archivist

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2021, 09:08:09 PM »

I've been waiting ages for this to come out... no idea what's tekken them so long.

Dead or alive, they would have made this movie. I've been virtually fighting with friends over whether it's going to be good or not. I'm certainly no street fighter, but I swear I turned into some kind of altered beast when I saw the Mortal Kombat trailer.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
chainsaw midget

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2021, 09:28:46 PM »

Points for that pun. 

Dead or alive, they would have made this movie. I've been virtually fighting with friends over whether it's going to be good or not. I'm certainly no street fighter, but I swear I turned into some kind of altered beast when I saw the Mortal Kombat trailer.
But you may have taken it too far  ... and you used Altered Beast (which isn't a fighting game) when you very well could have referred to your Primal Rage instead.   Tsk tsk. 

It was campy, yes, but the Mortal Kombat games themselves have always been campy as hell.  Being campy with blood doesn't make them any less campy. 

Also, I'm disappointed by the lack of Christopher Lambert in the new movie. 
zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2021, 06:15:10 PM »

Also, I'm disappointed by the lack of Christopher Lambert in the new movie. 

I'm hoping that they were not being age-ist and at least considered Lambert as an option, especially considering how they cast James Remar to take his place in Mortal Kombat Annihiliation (1997) where he looked like Raiden having a midlife crisis with that goofy gray hair. They could have at least cast Christopher Lambert's Hollywood twin Thomas Jane to take his place in this new one; he's still young enough.

------------------
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2021, 04:37:31 PM »

Points for that pun. 

But you may have taken it too far  ... and you used Altered Beast (which isn't a fighting game) when you very well could have referred to your Primal Rage instead.   Tsk tsk. 

Went after that guy pretty hard.  You must have some sort of Killer Instinct   when it comes to people making video game references

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Mortal Kombat (2021) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.