Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:38:55 PM
714349 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  How to have a discussion « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: How to have a discussion  (Read 4671 times)
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« on: April 27, 2021, 06:15:14 PM »

This is a really good article worth reading in full. The headline is that polarization is exaggerated; the right and the left agree on much more than they think they do.

https://theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php/political-polarization-is-exaggerated/

While the whole article is excellent, I thought these tips for how to approach a political or other heated discussion were exceptional and worth sharing.

"*Try to get your news from neutral and balanced sources, and use multiple sources. Avoid partisan sources, even if they make you feel good in the moment. Avoid echo-chambers as a source of information.

*Seek out the other perspective. Before you accept a position, see what those who disagree with that position have to say. Don’t let one side tell you what the other side thinks and feels – let everyone speak for themselves.

*Apply the principle of charity. It is a good starting assumption that most people think of themselves as reasonable good people. And mostly we all want the same things – justice, security, liberty, fairness. We may have different priorities, experiences, and belief-systems, but there is likely far more of a core of commonality than you might naively assume.

*Listen. Don’t simply talk (or write) at someone as if they are a representative cardboard cutout of the stereotyped “other side” you have been told about. Engage with what they actually say, and you may find a more reasonable and nuanced opinion than you assumed.

*Seek common ground. That is a good starting point for any discussion.

*Don’t assume bad-faith on the other side. There are bad-faith actors out there, but it is too easy to just assume that about people who disagree with you. Give people the benefit of the doubt, and you will be right most of the time. Of course people may prove themselves to be bad actors, and then you can call them out, but make sure you don’t go beyond the evidence you have.

*Keep in mind that in any exchange, your position may be the one that is wrong, or both sides may have something to learn from the other. We tend to think we are the one who is right in any disagreement, which means collectively we are all wrong at least 50% of the time.

*And of course – apply critical thinking as much as possible. Understand and avoid common cognitive biases and logical fallacies – but don’t use these as weapons against others, use them to improve your own thinking."

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2021, 06:43:35 PM »

I strive to achieve each of those suggestions. 
I also fail with certain subjects. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
zombie no.one
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Oookaay...

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2021, 06:40:32 AM »

all good points... sadly it's very easy for 'debates' to become 'arguements' which result in vendettas where both sides get more pleasure out of trying to trip up the other, rather than genuinely striving for a credible search for some kind of truth

Also I'm not a fan of the current general internet trend of outright censoring and deplatforming of anyone decided to be spreading 'mis-information'... if someone is wrong or misinformed then educate them, openly... by censoring opinions you'll only serve to make the opinion holder double-down on their opinion and therefore more determined to express it.

This whole mentality is comparable to the 'Video Nasties' scandal. A perceived authority deciding what the lowly masses can and can't watch.... for their own safety, of course

a quote I read recently which I liked is: "The truth does not fear investigation."
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 06:47:11 AM by zombie no.one » Logged

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
claws
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2021, 09:28:46 AM »

Also I'm not a fan of the current general internet trend of outright censoring and deplatforming of anyone decided to be spreading 'mis-information'... if someone is wrong or misinformed then educate them, openly... by censoring opinions you'll only serve to make the opinion holder double-down on their opinion and therefore more determined to express it.

The problem is those spreading mis-information rarely want to be "educated" with the truth. They know the truth but don't like the truth so they bend it to their liking.
Best example: Trump banned from social media. You can't reason with these peoplw, they are set in their ways. Discussions will only go in circles because no side wants to budge.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 08:22:33 PM by claws » Logged
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2021, 10:05:20 PM »

...The problem is those spreading mis-information rarely want to be "educated" with the truth. They know the truth but don't like the truth so they bend it to their liking...

Now that's truth.  Thumbup

zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2021, 03:23:42 AM »

I think the very concept of 'mis-information' itself seems a bit arbitrary... life is full of too many grey areas, most of which could do with exploring rather than shutting down due to disagreements.

what are you 100% sure of? you're alive, you need food when you're hungry, you need warmth/shelter, you need to avoid being hunted for food... virtually everything outside the most basic survival needs is a social construct of some sort.

If the majority of people insist on believing in and expressing something that is demonstrably and provably false, then my personal take would be, let them. doesn't mean I have to follow suit.... it's when people start enforcing something that is demonstrably and provably false that problems happen, but that cannot occur in the realm of normal debate or discussion, so it's all good.

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2021, 07:45:58 AM »

The problem is those spreading mis-information rarely want to be "educated" with the truth. They know the truth but don't like the truth so they bend it to their liking.
Best example: Trump banned from social media. You can't reason with these peoplw, they are set in their ways. Discussions will only go in circles because no side wants to budge.

I could be wrong here, but wasn't trump banned for his encouragement of violence rather than his inability to tell the truth?

EDIT: Yeah, I googled it and got this
TWITTER has banned President Donald Trump's account, citing "the risk of further incitement of violence" following the deadly insurrection at the US Capitol.

And

In a Facebook post, Zuckerberg said the company was banishing Trump for using the platform to foment a violent riot in Washington, D.C., a day before. Zuckerberg deemed the events “shocking” and a “violent insurrection against a democratically elected government.”
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 07:50:36 AM by Alex » Logged

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2021, 02:24:22 PM »

I think the very concept of 'mis-information' itself seems a bit arbitrary... life is full of too many grey areas, most of which could do with exploring rather than shutting down due to disagreements.
what are you 100% sure of? you're alive, you need food when you're hungry, you need warmth/shelter, you need to avoid being hunted for food... virtually everything outside the most basic survival needs is a social construct of some sort.
If the majority of people insist on believing in and expressing something that is demonstrably and provably false, then my personal take would be, let them. doesn't mean I have to follow suit.... it's when people start enforcing something that is demonstrably and provably false that problems happen, but that cannot occur in the realm of normal debate or discussion, so it's all good.

You're being too philosophical.  Not everybody agrees THE BEATLES were great.  Saying they were the greatest songwriters of all time is not only hyperbolic but a matter of opinion.  Nonetheless, I am 100% sure THE BEATLES were great. 
I am 100% sure that murder is evil.  I am 100% sure that rape is evil.  I am 100% sure that torture is evil.  I am 100% sure war is wrong.

zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2021, 02:45:38 PM »

You're being too philosophical.  

not the first time someone's said that to me  Smile

Not everybody agrees THE BEATLES were great.  Saying they were the greatest songwriters of all time is not only hyperbolic but a matter of opinion.  Nonetheless, I am 100% sure THE BEATLES were great.  
I am 100% sure that murder is evil.  I am 100% sure that rape is evil.  I am 100% sure that torture is evil.  I am 100% sure war is wrong.

yeah but these are all still technically opinions, from which many long and interesting discussions could arise (e.g. is murder in self-defence still murder? what really constitutes rape?)

feeling hungry and cold is not an opinion.*

*in my opinion  TeddyR

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2021, 02:55:57 PM »

Not everybody agrees THE BEATLES were great.  Saying they were the greatest songwriters of all time is not only hyperbolic but a matter of opinion.  Nonetheless, I am 100% sure THE BEATLES were great.  
I am 100% sure that murder is evil.  I am 100% sure that rape is evil.  I am 100% sure that torture is evil.  I am 100% sure war is wrong.
yeah but these are all still technically opinions, from which many long and interesting discussions could arise (e.g. is murder in self-defence still murder? what really constitutes rape?)
feeling hungry and cold is not an opinion.*
*in my opinion  TeddyR
I am 100% sure that we are indeed more than animals.  We have culture.  I do not think a long or interesting discussion would result from the premise of "Is murder evil?"  Self defense is not murder.  You wrote "100% sure", therefore I will assert in absolutes, not matters of law. 

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2021, 06:35:00 PM »

I always have a point , but it's on the top of my head!

-that there is a pinhead joke! A joke, son!

( say that in a Foghorn Leghorn voice- it helps a little.)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 07:08:03 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2021, 01:32:36 AM »

I am 100% sure that we are indeed more than animals.  

interestingly the biggest chunk of my 1st year philosopy degree course was centered around this exact topic... so you can state you're 100% sure, but I can assure you countless people have devoted years to studying, writing about and discussing this without coming to such firm conclusions. (not suggesting you are 'wrong' btw...)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 01:34:54 AM by zombie no.one » Logged

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2021, 02:04:52 AM »

And some people are just insane or idiots.

At an extreme level- try having a discussion with Ted Bundy, or a debate with Adolf Hitler.

(Ah Ha! Got my Hitler quota filled!)

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2021, 11:37:53 AM »

I am 100% sure that we are indeed more than animals.  
interestingly the biggest chunk of my 1st year philosopy degree course was centered around this exact topic... so you can state you're 100% sure, but I can assure you countless people have devoted years to studying, writing about and discussing this without coming to such firm conclusions. (not suggesting you are 'wrong' btw...)

"More" certainly is not intended to suggest "better". 

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2021, 12:30:11 PM »

^ Sometimes- in fact most of the time, I think we are less than animals.
 I think sometimes we're too complex for our own good.
Of course I wonder if crabs think fish are flying.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 12:33:34 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  How to have a discussion « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.