Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 11:11:35 PM
714193 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7733 Members
Latest Member: Mamie94489
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Extended Cut of Super Mario Brothers Unearthed « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Extended Cut of Super Mario Brothers Unearthed  (Read 2895 times)
bob
I survived Bucky Larson
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« on: June 02, 2021, 09:11:09 AM »

It's been nearly three decades since the Super Mario Bros. movie arrived in theaters, with a tagline boldly proclaiming "This ain't no game." Now, after all of this time, an extended version of the film has been unearthed, restored, and released online for all to see.

This version of the film--dubbed "The Morton Jankel Cut" after co-directors Rocky Morton and Annabel Jankel--has been released by The Super Mario Brothers Archive, a group of fans who celebrate the movie and have been involved in the special features on previous home releases of the film. They've teamed with film restorationist and filmmaker Garrett Gilchrist to present a version of the movie that has never been seen by anyone outside of the production team. Their hope is that this cut will resonate more with fans than the theatrical cut of the film, which was panned critically and flopped at the box office. You can watch it for yourself at the link above

For years, Super Mario Bros. has been looked down on because it doesn't resemble the game it's based on. Now, with the new cut, Gilchrist and the Super Mario Bros. Archive team hopes people will see why that's the case. "It's always going to be a controversial film," Gilchrist told GameSpot. "The directors, Rocky Morton and Annabel Jankel, thought they were making Max Headroom again. They wanted this cyberpunk dystopia. And I think they were pitching the movie more for teenagers, like a Star Wars film. Or even Roger Rabbit, which is a little bit adult in many ways and was obviously an inspiration for this film in some respects."

He continued, "Which, if you think about it, your average adult back then didn't give a damn about the Nintendo NES or Super Mario Bros. So of course, whoever was writing that film, or was directing that film, was going to come in and bring their own sensibility to it, beyond the film being about Mario and Luigi, who fight Koopa. That's a given."

That movie didn't make it to theaters, though. Thankfully, however, an extended version of the film still existed in the form of an old VHS tape that belonged to producer Roland Joffé. Ryan Hoss and Steven Applebaum from The Super Mario Bros. Archive tried locating an extended version of the movie for years, before fellow fan and Super Mario Bros. Archive community member Ryan Parente got his hands on it.

Beyond a number of extended scenes that make up the new 20 minutes of footage that was previously unreleased, there are also some new scenes--including one in particular that reframes two characters in the film. "Iggy and Spike rap! They do a whole rap, which Fisher Stevens and Richard Edson wrote, about how they want to overthrow King Koopa," Gilchrist said. "It's stupid, and it's great. They turn from these unthinking comic relief henchmen into anti-fascists in a couple of scenes. And then they rap about it. Iggy and Spike are introduced as very broad comic characters, which doesn't always work. But there's a lot more of them in this cut and you get to understand them a lot more. They grow and change as characters and I liked them a lot more than I thought I would."

With the footage in hand, Gilchrist and the Super Mario Bros. Archive team started a two-year journey to get this new cut into the state it's in now--which the filmmaker points out isn't as polished as he'd like. To achieve this new version of the movie, Gilchrist got digitized transfers from that original VHS and the mass market VHS of the film sold in the '90s, thanks to Skip Elsheimer from A/V Geeks. He also looked to the Blu-ray release and material from trailers and other rare VHS tapes. Interestingly enough, according to Gilchrist, the movie was released onto VHS in open matte 4:3 aspect ratio. The subsequent DVD and Blu-ray releases are in widescreen and lose some of the picture, compared to the VHS. Gilchrist thought the film worked in either version and stuck with the 4:3 ratio for this extended cut.

After a long time spent restoring the footage from the extended cut--along with the mass market VHS to make the two sources match--they arrived at this version of the film. "I think if you get on its wavelength there's a lot to like there," he said of the new cut. "I do think the workprint is a better film, and that this extended cut is a better film."

Don't go into this new version expecting a more faithful adaptation of the games, though. "It's not the Mario movie that fans and kids were asking for, and it is kind of broad and dumbed-down, but as this bonkers cyberpunk fantasy aimed at thirteen-year-olds? It's kind of cool and crazy that this film even exists," Gilchrist said.

As for what happens next, that remains a mystery. Those involved would certainly still love to see this extended version of the movie released officially. What's more, Gilchrist has learned of an international DVD release of the film in its original 4:3 aspect ratio, which means he may not be done with Super Mario Bros. just yet.

"I'll probably try again," he said. "But this might be the best way to experience the film, honestly. An all VHS cut that's a little rough around the edges. Much like the film itself, it has a lot to offer if you're in the right mood for it. Or maybe even if you're not."

You can find Gilchrist's work online through Archive.org and Twitter. The Super Mario Bros. Archive team is also available on Twitter.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/an-extended-super-mario-bros-movie-cut-has-been-unearthed-28-years-after-release/1100-6492228/?UniqueID=77D863BA-C31D-11EB-852A-3B390EDC252D&PostType=link&TheTime=2021-06-01T21%3A08%3A09&ftag=ftag%3DGSS-05-10aab8e&ServiceType=twitter

If anyone wants to give it a shot

https://archive.org/details/super-mario-bros-1993-the-morton-jankel-cut-extended-vhs

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
chainsaw midget

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2021, 01:45:24 PM »

I actually enjoyed the Mario movie.  I'll have to check out the cut when I get the chance... sadly, it's probabaly not going to be for a few more days. 
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2021, 06:37:17 PM »

I'll watch it eventually.  I've heard of that one scene where Koppa de-evolves one of his workers.Kind of makes his defeat at the end better.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
pennywise37

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2021, 07:03:42 PM »

i remember how big this movie was gonna be back in 93 too. when i first saw pics in Nintendo power back in the day and they didn't look like the video game i was upset sure at first but than it being (1993) that though you can do this now back than they had no way to make anything really look like the video game.

i mean if they had tried they could only go so far ya know? i've never got why this film is so hated? it's a movie i've seen Numerous Times i wanted to see it back than cause of it's cast i'm a huge Dennis Hopper fan & i'm a gamer. yeah i like Bob Hoskins too who apparently was drunk off his ass when he filmed this they both were actually. but back than for a movie that was based off a video game you can only work with what you have and this is what i was thinking back than too.

it's been a long time since i last saw it but i was hoping for a sequel & it was years before i even know how much the thing was hated as much it is. iv'e always thought this is a fun movie is it a work of art? hell no but it's still a lot of fun there are far worse movies out there than this one i think. it's not a great movie by any means but  it's a good way to kill an afternoon if there's nothing else on & you are just to damn lazy to look for something else to watch. 
chainsaw midget

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2021, 02:58:12 PM »

I was just about to sit down and watch this but the file isn't up anymore. 

Easy come easy go, I guess. 

I'll probabaly run across it somewhere else on the 'net eventually. 
pennywise37

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2021, 11:33:07 PM »

really they took them down? i downloaded them actually i just haven't watched it yet so i'm glad i got it when i did which was right when this was posted i'm guessing. i'm not gonna post it online though or sell it or do anything stupid like that
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2021, 08:23:25 AM »

really they took them down? i downloaded them actually i just haven't watched it yet so i'm glad i got it when i did which was right when this was posted i'm guessing. i'm not gonna post it online though or sell it or do anything stupid like that

WOW  Buggedout Buggedout

I was maybe gonna check it out down the road

I really hate Super Mario Brothers but I was curious to see the extended version

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
pennywise37

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2021, 10:17:54 PM »

i think people had to high hopes for the film way back when to be honest, i mean if you look at the game it's based off there is no plot at all no story cause they didn't do games like that back than cept maybe for PC to take a guess. anyways i wonder if they did get into trouble for posting that?
Neville

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2021, 05:50:39 AM »

Haven't we suffered enough?  Buggedout

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Extended Cut of Super Mario Brothers Unearthed « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.