Main Menu

Random Thought Thread Part III: The Thinking

Started by ER, September 30, 2021, 01:18:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ER

It's said there are three general stages in the life of a marriage---the sexual era, the child-raising era, and the era of companionship---and that if the needs of any stage are not met, often a person will move into another relationship to try to attain what had been missing. Well, I'm happy being married, but the more I consider what we have, it's like despite having children and getting along fine for the most part, he and I have never evolved beyond the first chapter, and I can't decide if that makes us lucky, or stunted.
What does not kill me makes me stranger.

Alex

I just got a sidebar advert that was relevant to my interests. That has never happened before on here for me.  :bouncegiggle:
I'll show you ruin
I'll show you heartbreak
I'll show you lonely
A sorrow in darkness

Alex

If I had any money invested in China I'd be pulling it out right now.
I'll show you ruin
I'll show you heartbreak
I'll show you lonely
A sorrow in darkness

Alex

I see the book that caused (well, not the book it was meeting the author), me to get a low score for my Higher English exam has been reprinted. I spotted it in a bookshop today and was half tempted to pick it up. I didn't in the end, but if I see it again I think I will.
I'll show you ruin
I'll show you heartbreak
I'll show you lonely
A sorrow in darkness

Trevor

We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.

Alex

Looks like more supermarkets are going to ditch the self-checkout terminals. Turns out losses from what is termed "shrinkage" (mistakes in pricing, theft and a few other factors) are double what they are compared to using people.
I'll show you ruin
I'll show you heartbreak
I'll show you lonely
A sorrow in darkness

claws

Quote from: Trevor on November 23, 2023, 12:01:52 AM
RC hasn't been on in a while.  :question:

He said he is going to leave this place for good.

http://www.badmovies.org/forum/index.php/topic,159046.0.html
Is it October yet?

claws

Quote from: Alex on November 23, 2023, 01:45:22 AM
Looks like more supermarkets are going to ditch the self-checkout terminals. Turns out losses from what is termed "shrinkage" (mistakes in pricing, theft and a few other factors) are double what they are compared to using people.

It's the opposite here. More supermarkets are offering self-checkout terminals, at least in our town. It's my preferred way of shopping.
Is it October yet?

Trevor

indianasmith

I thought his attack on ER in her Veteran's Day thread was cheap and totally unjustified, and told him so.
So he may have left because he was mad at me.
"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"

ER

One of the many things I loathe about spy movies is how there is invariably an effort to depict one side as being the good guys, when in reality anyone involved in espionage is at least to some degree a bad person.

I say this in part because one of the primary tools of espionage is the use of a threat of collateral damage, based on the principle that nearly everyone has someone in his life he values beyond himself, and the threat that his actions or inactions could result in harm being done to this person is a highly effective means of securing the cooperation of an individual who might otherwise resist on his own behalf, but who finds the idea of his own behavior bringing harm onto a loved one unconscionable. So many good people have been used and compromised this way.

Anyone involved in a field that makes frequent use of this tactic is not, by definition, a good person, whomever he or she represents.

ER

Ever find yourself wondering,
And then asking why,
You're out chasing rainbows,
'Neath a midnight sky...

Trevor

It's just gone 11 pm and it is too hot to sleep. Even the mosquitos are flying around with their tongues hanging out.

lester1/2jr

I'm the least "man's man" there is, but one thing I know how to do with tools and grease is clean and re lube my skateboard bearings. I have to do this tomorrow and then go to skate at this park that is like a raquetball (sp?) court. My life is epic

Alex

Enjoying The Lovecraft Investigations. Shame season 1 is disappearing soon.
I'll show you ruin
I'll show you heartbreak
I'll show you lonely
A sorrow in darkness