Main Menu

Random Thought Thread Part III: The Thinking

Started by ER, September 30, 2021, 01:18:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rev. Powell

Quote from: Trevor on August 16, 2022, 08:03:18 AM
Quote from: Rev. Powell on August 16, 2022, 07:51:19 AM
I haven't smoked a cigarette in well over a year, but I'm seriously considering buying a carton or two of menthols. I wonder how much a pack will be worth after the ban goes into effect.

I haven't smoked since 2009 and I was shocked when I found out - just a general question - that a pack of smokes costs almost $5 here now.  :buggedout:

In the US? Yes. They're heavily taxed to discourage new users and offset the costs of treatment. The cost was a small factor in me quitting.
I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...

Rev. Powell

Quote from: ER on August 16, 2022, 10:31:08 AM
Quote from: Rev. Powell on August 16, 2022, 07:51:19 AM
I haven't smoked a cigarette in well over a year, but I'm seriously considering buying a carton or two of menthols. I wonder how much a pack will be worth after the ban goes into effect.
Ban?

Yes, the FDA banned flavored cigarettes a couple of years ago but made an exception for menthol, and now they plan to ban menthols... probably within a year. Regulatory commenting period just ended so I'd expect a firm announcement soon.

https://www.cancer.gov/news-events/cancer-currents-blog/2022/fda-proposes-rule-prohibiting-menthol-cigarettes

ER

Didn't know that. I wonder if that'll apply to all the flavored vapes out there?
What does not kill me makes me stranger.

Alex

Our government is considering slowly raising the age where smoking is allowed, I guess until all current smokers are dead.
I'll show you ruin
I'll show you heartbreak
I'll show you lonely
A sorrow in darkness

Rev. Powell

Quote from: ER on August 16, 2022, 12:59:38 PM
Didn't know that. I wonder if that'll apply to all the flavored vapes out there?

Only menthol and "tobacco" flavors have been legal for a long time, and most legit vape liquid companies already left the business. I haven't heard anything about a menthol vape ban. Doesn't matter much to me, I've been making my own liquid.

Rev. Powell

Quote from: Alex on August 16, 2022, 02:44:12 PM
Our government is considering slowly raising the age where smoking is allowed, I guess until all current smokers are dead.

It wouldn't be a terrible plan to ban it and grandfather current smokers. Obviously cigarettes would never be approved if they were brought to market today. They're super-addictive drugs that give you cancer and don't even get you high.

LilCerberus

I quit after Prometheus came out, & I read some actress couldn't do a running scene because she smoked.,...

Didn't help me all that much... My radio voice got pretty lousy, & I didn't have anything to turn to whenever I would run out of my more addictive anxiety meds....

Funny story....
Met a guy on a temp job who told the story about his 95 year old grandfather asking if he should quit...
The doctor said, "at your age, the fits will kill you".....

Anybody ever try Indonesian Clove cigarettes?
"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.

LilCerberus

I was just watching a video about the lost episode of Sesame Street featuring  Margaret Hamilton as The Wicked Witch of the West, when it hit me; The Witch is green, The Emerald City is green, and The Wizard's big giant head is also green.....
"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.

Alex

Quote from: Rev. Powell on August 16, 2022, 06:06:59 PM
Quote from: Alex on August 16, 2022, 02:44:12 PM

It wouldn't be a terrible plan to ban it and grandfather current smokers. Obviously cigarettes would never be approved if they were brought to market today. They're super-addictive drugs that give you cancer and don't even get you high.

I am guessing that is the long-term plan. Hopefully, if they go down that path, successive administrations will continue the policy.
I'll show you ruin
I'll show you heartbreak
I'll show you lonely
A sorrow in darkness

Alex

Jugging a hare does not tempt me to try eating one.
I'll show you ruin
I'll show you heartbreak
I'll show you lonely
A sorrow in darkness

Rev. Powell

Quote from: Alex on August 18, 2022, 04:59:31 AM

Had to look up "jugging." I don't know about hare, but rabbit tastes just fine.

Alex

Quote from: Rev. Powell on August 18, 2022, 07:47:53 AM
Quote from: Alex on August 18, 2022, 04:59:31 AM

Had to look up "jugging." I don't know about hare, but rabbit tastes just fine.

Gets to be a bit messy when you are figuring out how to do it the first time.
I'll show you ruin
I'll show you heartbreak
I'll show you lonely
A sorrow in darkness

Alex

Ash has went through 25% of his childhood.
I'll show you ruin
I'll show you heartbreak
I'll show you lonely
A sorrow in darkness

ER

"Those who eat too much or eat too little, who sleep too much or sleep too little, will not succeed... But those who are temperate in eating and sleeping, work and recreation... will come to the end of sorrow."

---The Bhagavad Gita
What does not kill me makes me stranger.

Alex

Urgh. When you get the time to sit down and watch a slow-burn horror that you've been wanting to watch for a while and it turns out that what you really want tonight is just something fast and mindless.
I'll show you ruin
I'll show you heartbreak
I'll show you lonely
A sorrow in darkness