Main Menu

Random Thought Thread Part III: The Thinking

Started by ER, September 30, 2021, 01:18:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

Quote from: ER on October 15, 2021, 08:03:50 AM
It seems like the modern medical community is better at keeping sick people lingering than it is improving overall health in the later stages of life.

I think that is down to how much people look after themselves though when they are younger and then suffering the effects later.
I'll show you ruin
I'll show you heartbreak
I'll show you lonely
A sorrow in darkness

ER

Visited some friends out of state last night and drove home through two separate active tornado warnings. Crazy stuff.
What does not kill me makes me stranger.

ER

I am randomly wondering whatever happened to Boy Scout Kevin.

RCMerchant

Quote from: ER on October 17, 2021, 03:54:13 PM

I dunno...it's been almost a year...I hope he's ok.
Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."
Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant

ER

The world was forever changed because you came into it. The future is rewritten because of the children to whom you gave life. Everything you do, every choice you make, changes what would have been. We are each writers of the great story.

RCMerchant

Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."
Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant

Trevor

Quote from: RCMerchant on October 17, 2021, 04:22:29 PM
Quote from: ER on October 17, 2021, 03:54:13 PM

I dunno...it's been almost a year...I hope he's ok.

I was also wondering about him.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.

ER

My friend spent several summers in Israel as a kid, and one year her group went to Masada, and the guide told them the women there in AD 74 made themselves beautiful before their deaths, and the Romans who found them dead were so stunned by this that some veteran soldiers cradled the Jewish women's bodies in their arms and wept. I've never heard that anywhere else but she said that's what the Israelis said.

indianasmith

Quote from: ER on October 19, 2021, 10:23:58 AM
My friend spent several summers in Israel as a kid, and one year her group went to Masada, and the guide told them the women there in AD 74 made themselves beautiful before their deaths, and the Romans who found them dead were so stunned by this that some veteran soldiers cradled the Jewish women's bodies in their arms and wept. I've never heard that anywhere else but she said that's what the Israelis said.

Interesting.  The only contemporary account of Masada is the one from Josephus, who did interview the only survivors the Romans found.  Guess I need to dig out my volume of THE JEWISH WAR and see if that's in there.
"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"

ER

Quote from: indianasmith on October 19, 2021, 10:34:08 PM
Quote from: ER on October 19, 2021, 10:23:58 AM

Interesting.  The only contemporary account of Masada is the one from Josephus, who did interview the only survivors the Romans found.  Guess I need to dig out my volume of THE JEWISH WAR and see if that's in there.

Probably some scheme older Israeli women cooked up to guilt-trip American Jewish girls into self-improvement. "If our ancestors could gussy themselves up to face death, is it too much to ask you to lose five pounds while you're over here for the summer, Rachel Beerman?"

My theory.

ER

I keep finding sloppy anachronisms in Monty Python and the Holy Grail. For instance, they didn't have hand grenades in ancient Antioch, they didn't have neon lights in Dark Age Britain, rabbits had quit being carnivorous by the 2nd century, God didn't have an English accent til Victorian times, and police in the 1970s couldn't travel back in time to arrest people, because time machines still aren't common today, five decades later. And this is dubbed a classic?

Rev. Powell

Quote from: ER on October 20, 2021, 12:08:36 PM
I keep finding sloppy anachronisms in Monty Python and the Holy Grail. For instance, they didn't have hand grenades in ancient Antioch, they didn't have neon lights in Dark Age Britain, rabbits had quit being carnivorous by the 2nd century, God didn't have an English accent til Victorian times, and police in the 1970s couldn't travel back in time to arrest people, because time machines still aren't common today, five decades later. And this is dubbed a classic?

Have you secretly been WyreWizard all along?
I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...

ER

It's raining, and I keep thinking how when people draw raindrops, they are drawing them upside down. The thick end should be at the top.

Alex

I'll show you ruin
I'll show you heartbreak
I'll show you lonely
A sorrow in darkness

Trevor

Quote from: Rev. Powell on October 20, 2021, 06:34:26 PM
Quote from: ER on October 20, 2021, 12:08:36 PM

Have you secretly been WyreWizard all along?

:teddyr: :teddyr: :teddyr:
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.