Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:09:38 AM
713389 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Seinfeld « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Seinfeld  (Read 4927 times)
Gabriel Knight
Bad Movie Lover

« on: November 05, 2021, 10:00:50 PM »

So, for the last couple of weeks I've been watching SEINFELD for the first time, since it's a show that's been a long due for me. At first I found it mildly amusing, but now I'm in the fifth season and I can't stop watching it, it's simply amazing.

Of course I'm late for the show, but I always heard it mentioned everywhere. I understand that it had a huge impact in north american society, is that correct? I would like to hear experiences from viewers from other countries, here in Argentina it seems to be known just by a select group, and it's rarely mentioned unless you happen to stumble across another fan, who of course it's probably nuts about the show.

It's different for, let's say, THE SIMPSONS, which are still to this day very significant in our society, you can quote it or make memes and most people will get them right away. It's mainly because the show is a carbon copy of our country, instead of a parody. In fact, I have the theory that Matt Groening had a time machine and copied what he saw in our country to make the scripts, it wasn't intended to be a comedy but rather a documentary.

Check my crappy and unpopular reviews and ratings:

https://www.imdb.com/user/ur85652268/?ref_=nv_usr_prof_2
chainsaw midget
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2021, 10:39:11 PM »

It was HUGE in America.  It was just one of those shows that you just couldn't escape.  You'd hear people quoting it al the time. 

"No soup for you!"
"Master of your domain"
"not that there's anything wrong with that"
"A festivus for the rest of us"
"the yada yada"
"The jerk store called, and they're running out of you."
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2021, 11:16:28 AM »

have a couple of friends here (uk) who are big fans, but I couldn't get into it myself. was never really sure what I was supposed to be laughing at... which probably makes me sound dumb to anyone who loves it

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2021, 11:27:18 AM »

have a couple of friends here (uk) who are big fans, but I couldn't get into it myself. was never really sure what I was supposed to be laughing at... which probably makes me sound dumb to anyone who loves it

That was pretty much my situation too, I knew a couple of people who thought it was brilliant, but it never achieved X-Files, Breaking Bad or GoT levels of discussion.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2021, 12:13:39 PM »

I'm rewatching it now that it's available streaming again. I don't find it as funny as I did when they aired live, but the level of quality throughout is astounding. They also really lucked out on finding actors with such great timing and chemistry, and the writing is consistently great: each episode has the structure of a classic farce, and it's full of memorable catchphrases. They also quit before they ran out of ideas and grew stale, which is rare.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2021, 07:59:13 PM »

I love Seinfeld.

I have the entire series on DVD.

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
beat_truck
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2021, 04:36:31 AM »

I didn't really find the show funny when it originally aired, and I still don't.  It's not as bad as Friends, though.  I flat out hate that show.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2021, 08:59:26 AM »

I didn't really find the show funny when it originally aired, and I still don't.  It's not as bad as Friends, though.  I flat out hate that show.

I love Seinfeld but I agree Friends is terrible. I've never been able to watch an episode all the way through.

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2021, 06:23:38 PM »

Seinfeld was a fantastic show. Loved it as it aired.

Been binging it on Netflix

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2021, 02:36:46 PM »

I love Seinfeld but I agree Friends is terrible. I've never been able to watch an episode all the way through.

I've only ever seen one Friends episode: the one where Billy Crystal and Robin Williams turn up at the coffee shop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwMlgKUQaQ4

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Gabriel Knight
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2021, 07:21:14 PM »

Welp, I watched the series finale today, and I must say, I feel... disappointed? I understand the whole idea of the episode itself, and I actually find it fitting for something like SEINFELD, which is basically the anti-sitcom. The problem is that it simply wasn't funny. Even worse, it takes all the great moments I remembered and basically put a dose of realism on top, taking away the fun from them also. Hell, even the laugh track isn't played much during the episode, and the gang barely talks at all.

By the time it ended, I felt kinda down. I don't know, I guess I was expecting something different. And don't get me wrong, I didn't wanted a marriage or anything stupid like that (they even joke about it in the episode itself), but at least a funny turn of events with the whole situation. Instead, it felt like a bad court drama which didn't even made any sense at all, because the premise itself is ridiculous to begin with.

So, what are your opinions about the finale?

PS: and yes, I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but hey, I always like to experience things as if they were fresh from the oven.  Twirling
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 08:02:42 PM by Gabriel Knight » Logged

Check my crappy and unpopular reviews and ratings:

https://www.imdb.com/user/ur85652268/?ref_=nv_usr_prof_2
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2021, 08:41:59 AM »

The finale was widely seen as a let-down when it aired. I didn't think it was that bad, but I didn't have high expectations. Most comedy series don't have good final episodes, the entire sitcom structure just doesn't lend itself to finality---the whole premise of the genre is that next week these characters will show up again exactly the same as they were last week but in a wacky new situation.

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2021, 10:43:59 AM »

The finale was widely seen as a let-down when it aired. I didn't think it was that bad, but I didn't have high expectations. Most comedy series don't have good final episodes, the entire sitcom structure just doesn't lend itself to finality---the whole premise of the genre is that next week these characters will show up again exactly the same as they were last week but in a wacky new situation.

The same happened with the finale of How I Met Your Mother: people were outraged at what happened to Tracy (the Mother). Quite sad actually.  Bluesad

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2022, 04:23:20 PM »

I have the whole series on DVD. My wife and I have watched every episode in sequence 4 times over the past several years.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Seinfeld « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.