Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 09:38:21 PM
714191 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7733 Members
Latest Member: Mamie94489
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Cheap Ass Presents. « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cheap Ass Presents.  (Read 2177 times)
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« on: November 09, 2021, 09:59:58 AM »

So what is the cheapest christmas present you have ever received or given?

Back in the 90s, the UK went through a big thing of collecting points from purchasing stuff, normally petrol or cigarettes. Anyway, my older brother gave me a CD for christmas that I happened to already know was only available from cashing in some of these points. It might have been ok, but I didn't even like the music on it (it was stuff like Soundgarden, Manic Street Preachers and I can't remember what else).

The cheapest I've ever given was to an uncle who every year, would give me a box of some aftershave. I very rarely use that stuff, and when I do, it is normally Old Spice I use, not some stuff made in China that looks like it might give you chemical burns if you were to try putting it on. Anyway, thinking of teaching him a lesson, I bought him a box of this stuff instead of the mid-range whisky I'd normally get him.

The next christmas, I got the same box back,  BounceGiggle

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Paquita
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2021, 11:09:31 PM »

When I was a teenager, my great Aunt Maude gave me a gift bag with a bar of soap and a stick of Mitchum deodorant with the lid taped on and a smudge of dirt on it for Christmas.   I don't know if she was trying to tell me something, or just picked up some stuff she found laying around her house.  I was a kind of stinky kid, but she smoked so much I don't think she could tell.

I try to give thoughtful gifts whenever I can.  I am not above doing crafts or making cookies and wrapping them up to give out if we are trying to be frugal.  My go-to gifts when I don't know what to give are food gifts, like fruit baskets or chocolate.  I may be single-handedly keeping The Swiss Colony in business.  I am also that person that will give those butter cookie tins out as gifts that people end up using for sewing materials.  Those are actually really good and I think it's kind of a treat to open one and actually see cookies in them!

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2021, 02:58:32 PM »

Those are actually really good and I think it's kind of a treat to open one and actually see cookies in them.

I have a rather large blue friend at home who would appreciate one or two of those cookies  Wink

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
pacman000
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2021, 03:23:39 PM »

When I was a kid (first, second, third grade,) my mom would take us to buy Christmas presents for the rest of our extended family. We went to the dollar store; those were probably the cheapest presents I've ever given.
claws

Occidentali's Karma

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2021, 03:38:16 PM »

Cheapest I got was probably a 3-pair pack of socks? but I can never get enough of socks so I had no issues with that.

Cheapest I gave as a christmas present was two bars of chocolate in wrapping paper, with a ribbon tied around it. The person didn't want anything for christmas but I felt the need to give her a little something anyway.

Is it October yet?
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2021, 10:51:27 PM »

I'm still waiting for the gift "in the mail" from my older sister.  I expect it to turn up some day.  It's only been 25 years.   Smile

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2021, 10:17:19 AM »

My friend Larry (rip) gave me a card that said- "Times are tough, money's hard- here's your f**king Christmas card."
I loved it.  BounceGiggle

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2021, 11:57:51 AM »

My friend Larry (rip) gave me a card that said- "Times are tough, money's hard- here's your f**king Christmas card."
I loved it.  BounceGiggle

TeddyR TeddyR

I bought my younger brother a DVD of the movie SWAT (2003) and was expecting to hear good things. What I got was a phone call that went something like this:

Nic: "Yo, bro. Where'd you buy this thing from?"
Me: "A seller in Johannesburg, why?"
Nic: "How much did you pay?"
Me: "ZAR100" [about $10]
Nic: "You got screwed: someone filmed this in a theatre and put it on DVD: I can see the dude's head in front of the screen and the guy next to the cameraperson farting in the seat next to him."

Buggedout Buggedout

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2021, 11:10:45 AM »

About 15 years ago, I got a small tin of caramel popcorn at a work Christmas party. I can't remember how much we were supposed to spend (probably $20), but that gift clearly cost a lot less.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2021, 12:13:58 PM »

I gave my friend Larry an empty Whiskey bottle with a Dead Kennedys sticker on one side, and a Sex Pistols sticker on the other side.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2021, 10:36:11 PM »

My beloved Sister-in-law was notorious for her... "wonderfully thoughtful" presents like the year she gave me a made-in-China reproduction painted iron toy which had wheels and with one gentle turn scratched the floor... the same year she gave my mother the made-in-China jewelry box...that was broken.   TeddyR  God I love you good girl! 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Cheap Ass Presents. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.