Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:18:20 AM
713407 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  ROCKY IV: ROCKY VS. DRAGO « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: ROCKY IV: ROCKY VS. DRAGO  (Read 3111 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: November 15, 2021, 11:25:31 AM »

To begin with, ROCKY IV is among the worst mainstream movies I've ever seen (but it's great to watch as a bad movie). So, when I heard Stallone was re-editing the movie I became interested. Could he actually make it a good movie? I watched it yesterday and the answer is "no."

On the positive side: He removed the stupid, embarrassing robot scenes.

On the negative side:

* The editing is very choppy.
* He added unnecessary voiceovers (like Rocky thinking, "Get up, don't be scared" after Drago knocks him down).
* He kept the dumb, implausible ending.
* He inserted some reaction shots of Drago during the final match that just seem awkward.

You can't polish a turd.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2021, 04:42:42 AM »

the only Rocky movie I have ever seen is Part 5, purely because of how much it got slated

I'm now interested to see part 4 though   TeddyR

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2021, 07:25:02 AM »

It is a very '80s movie.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2021, 08:46:26 AM »

It is a very '80s movie.

It takes the Cold War and embarrassingly simplifies it to a boxing match. There's no subtlety at all: "U.S.A. good, Soviet Union bad, Rocky good, Drago bad." It's like 90 minutes of propaganda filmed like a series of music videos. With often painfully embarrassing dialogue.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2021, 09:36:06 AM »

It is a very '80s movie.

It takes the Cold War and embarrassingly simplifies it to a boxing match. There's no subtlety at all: "U.S.A. good, Soviet Union bad, Rocky good, Drago bad." It's like 90 minutes of propaganda filmed like a series of music videos. With often painfully embarrassing dialogue.

Yup. There were a lot of films along those lines back then.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2021, 08:56:26 AM »

I just picked the DVD up cheap. it says 2020 on the back... I hope this isn't the cut with the "robot scenes" you mentioned removed cause that sounds funny

btw I cannot think of a single move franchise with 3 or more sequels where I have watched them in anything like chronological order.

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2021, 09:10:16 AM »

If none of you think it's good, I certainly won't be watching it.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Dr. Whom

Cthulhu for president! Why choose the lesser evil?

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2021, 10:10:35 AM »

I saw it ages ago, and remember being disappointed. It has very heavy handed cold war politics, and it takes itself far too seriously.

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
claws

Occidentali's Karma

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2021, 11:54:54 AM »

Stallone cut out most of Brigitte Nielsen's scenes and replaced them with alternative scenes.
Example: Stallone reduced a full scene of Nielsen down to a few frames showing the final seconds with her face turned to the side. It is poorly edited and makes it even more obvious that the scene was longer

I guess Stallone is still holding a grudge  BounceGiggle
« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 08:59:52 AM by claws » Logged

Is it October yet?
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2021, 05:57:17 PM »

watched it. good fun... so shamelessly and knowingly clichéd it's hard not to enjoy. movies today all feel so horribly self conscious in some way or other. liked the robot scenes too

may progress to part 3 !

ralfy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2021, 01:16:25 AM »

Training montage.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1 Small | Large

Dr. Whom

Cthulhu for president! Why choose the lesser evil?

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2021, 04:36:44 AM »

yup, that sums it about up

Also, that must have been a pretty important KGB agent to have a Mercedes Benz like that.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 04:39:42 AM by Dr. Whom » Logged

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
Neville

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2021, 06:24:08 AM »

I enjoyed it. But note that I hated "Rocky IV" and hadn't seen it in years. Now most of the cheese is gone and the confrontation between Rocky and Drago is protrayed more as a one vs. one issue rather than as a Cold War event. Even Apollo is better fleshed out now.

But yeah, the editing is awkward. Apparently there was enough surplus footage for Stallone and his team to juggle, but now the supporting characters suffer from the alterations. Much has made about Brigitte Nielsen barely appearing now, but I missed Paulie more. If it wasn't for that great moment right before the Drago fight he'd be almost gone. It's not that there's any animosity between Stallone and Burt Young, it appears that Stallone wanted that 80s robot gone and he appears in several of Paulie's scenes.

I read somewhere that Stallone may try to redo Nighthawks and Rocky V next. These seem like good choices. Rocky V is so bad that any alteration might be for the better, and there have been reports of removed footage from Nighthawks for years, both in terms of violence and character development.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  ROCKY IV: ROCKY VS. DRAGO « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.