Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:25:36 PM
713364 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Red Dawn « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Red Dawn  (Read 4627 times)
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« on: February 04, 2022, 11:40:00 AM »

It's on TV now, the one from the eighties, and someone please answer something for me. This was.....NOT meant to be satire?

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2022, 11:56:22 AM »

It's on TV now, the one from the eighties, and someone please answer something for me. This was.....NOT meant to be satire?

I've never watched it but based on the other movies of the era with similar themes, I'd have to go no. It was supposed to be a serious dramatisation of what would really happen.  BounceGiggle

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2022, 12:42:33 PM »

Having half-watched a little more, I think you're right. This was made with serious intent.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2022, 12:59:56 PM »

Movies like this are all woven from the same " super patriot" cloth as TOP GUN, RAMBO, and ROCKY 4.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 01:04:19 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2022, 01:00:39 PM »

I have been told that that one movie is responsible for generating more Freedom Eagles than anything else the US has ever produced.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2022, 03:41:03 PM »

"What's the difference between us and them?"

"because we live here!"

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2022, 05:22:36 PM »

No, not meant to be satire. John Milius was dead serious, even in the scene where C Thomas Howell tastes blood and says that it didn't taste bad.  Buggedout

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2022, 11:31:41 PM »

Red Dawn

By Murray N. Rothbard

This review originally appeared in the Libertarian Forum, July-August 1984.

Red Dawn, directed by John Milius.

It's not only the Supreme Court that follows the election returns. Hollywood, too, does its bit, and movie theatres have been increasingly filled with right-wingy patriotism, like the rest of the media this endless summer. I went to see Red Dawn expecting a bout of anti-Soviet warmongering, but instead was pleasantly surprised. This is hardly a great picture, and is indeed flawed. But Red Dawn is an enjoyable teen-age saga, and, apart from right-wingy pro-NATO credits at the beginning of the film, it is not so much pro-war as it is anti-State. The warfare it celebrates is not interstate strife, but guerrilla conflict that the great radical libertarian military analyst, General Charles Lee, labeled "people's war" two centuries before Mao and Che.

The beginning of the picture is exciting, if idiotic. Cuban, Nicaraguan, Mexican and other Commie Hispanic troops, headed by Soviet advisors, parachute into and successfully conquer the entire prairie Mid West, from the Rockies to the Mississippi. In the opening sequence, the Red paratroops swiftly invade and, for some reason, annihilate a high school in the mythical town of "Culver City," Colorado, presumably somewhere in the East Slope foothills of the Rockies. In a neat touch, gun control has made it easy for the Commie occupiers to round up all the registered guns in the area. But a half-dozen high school kids escape and set up a guerrilla camp in the Rockies. Jed, the older leader and a former school quarterback, whips the other reluctant lads into shape, and soon the tiny guerrilla band, using light arms, mobile tactics, and superior knowledge of the terrain, strike terror into the Red occupying forces while brandishing the rallying name of "Wolverines." There are some revoltingly macho touches at the beginning, especially when one of the young lads receives his mystical baptism into the guerrilla rites by drinking the blood of his first kill – fortunately a deer rather than a Commie. These touches subside after a while, although they are hardly softened by the appearance of two young lady guerrillas who are fierce and androgynous enough to pose for a Viet Cong or Algerian guerrilla poster.

One of the best parts of the picture is the graphic portrayal of how the Red response to the Wolverines runs the gamut of the U. S. counter-revolutionary responses to the Vietnamese. That is, at first the Russian commander decides to hole up in the cities and military bases, into the "safe zones," whereupon the Wolverines boldly demonstrate that in guerrilla war there are no safe zones, and that the "front is everywhere." At that point, another crackerjack Russian commander takes over, and replicates the "search and destroy" counter-guerrilla response of the Green Berets. This is more punishing, but still does not succeed.

One big problem with the picture is that there is no sense that successful guerrilla war feeds on itself; in real life the ranks of the guerrillas would start to swell, and this would defeat the search-and-destroy concept. In Red Dawn, on the other hand, there are only the same half-dozen teenagers, and the inevitable attrition makes the struggle seem hopeless when it need not be.

Another problem is that there is no character development through action, so that, except for the leader, all the high school kids seem indistinguishable. As a result, there is no impulse to mourn as each one falls by the wayside.

But whatever flaws the movie has are redeemed by one glorious – and profoundly libertarian – moment. The Nicaraguan-Cuban insurgent leader is increasingly unhappy acting as a State occupying force. He tells the implacable Russian commander: "Once I was an insurgent. Now I'm a policeman" – the last word spoken with profound contempt. He writes his wife: "What am I doing in this cold and lonely spot, so far away from home?" So that, in the climax of the film, as one people's war guerrilla to another, he saves the hero, Jed, and allows him to slip out of the Russian net. Ideology, left and right, gets swallowed up in hands-across-the-sea of people's guerrillas against their respective States.

In all war pictures there is the annoying pacifist nudge, griping about "how do we differ from them," since both are shooting and killing. (The LeFevre-Smith motif.) Jed's answer is satisfactory enough, even though lacking profound argumentation: "Because we live here!"

Another fine touch is that the evil informer who almost does the Wolverines in is, naturally, the son of the town Mayor, who is identified by friend and foe alike as "the politician." The Mayor, who directs the betrayal, cringes fawningly if despairingly in carrying out the orders of the occupation force.
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2022, 12:04:32 AM »

One big problem with the picture is that there is no sense that successful guerrilla war feeds on itself; in real life the ranks of the guerrillas would start to swell, and this would defeat the search-and-destroy concept. In Red Dawn, on the other hand, there are only the same half-dozen teenagers, and the inevitable attrition makes the struggle seem hopeless when it need not be.

Even as a kid, I couldn't help but wonder about that part...

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2022, 12:27:18 AM »

Honestly I was amazed at how far-fetched this movie was.... And I'm someone who thinks some Scooby-Doo villains had good ideas.

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2022, 08:22:36 AM »

About the only excuse I can come up with for that movie was:

"Hey, it was the '80's."

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2022, 10:37:42 AM »

About the only excuse I can come up with for that movie was:

"Hey, it was the '80's."

I last saw this when it was first released: time for a rewatch, so avenge me boys, avenge me.  TeddyR

Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2022, 10:40:15 AM »

Movies like this are all woven from the same " super patriot" cloth as TOP GUN, RAMBO, and ROCKY 4.

Iron Eagle too.  Smile

Ted C
Bad Movie Lover

Turn Up the Evil!

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2022, 11:31:35 AM »

Honestly I was amazed at how far-fetched this movie was.... And I'm someone who thinks some Scooby-Doo villains had good ideas. 

It's downright plausible compared to the 2012 remake.

"Slugs?  He created slugs? I would have started with lasers, six o'clock, day one!" -- Evil, Time Bandits
Neville
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2022, 12:41:58 PM »

Iron Eagle too.  Smile

Or how an American teenager is enough to deal with a Gadafi clone. Diplomacy be damned! The sequels are so-soo, except for number III. I mean, it has Nazis, Sonny Chiba, Rachel McLish and s Bond series director that tries too hard not to look incompetent with that budget.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Red Dawn « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.