Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:57:10 AM
713383 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  The Crazy SOB Actually Did it! « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 54
Author Topic: The Crazy SOB Actually Did it!  (Read 73767 times)
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #510 on: November 12, 2022, 06:01:19 PM »

I don't get it

We know... Smile

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Morpheus, the unwoke.
Bad Movie Lover

I am a Bill Maher Democrat. Deal with it.

« Reply #511 on: November 12, 2022, 06:57:52 PM »

The ukraine  invasion did not occur in a vaccuum, Russia seized Crimea a few years back and shot down a western civilian jetliner full of civilians, and got away with it. Ukraine has to be a line in the sand and pooty can't be allowed to cross it.

They will come back, come back again, As long as the red earth rolls. He never wasted a leaf or a tree. Do you think he would squander souls?” ― Ruyard Kipling

We all come from the goddess and to her we shall return, like a drop of rain flowing to the ocean.
ralfy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #512 on: November 12, 2022, 08:41:27 PM »

How about on Veterans Day you give your America-bashing oh-so deep wisdom there a rest and think for a minute that not everyone shares your pessimistic cynicism, including people who loved this nation so much they served it, many at great personal cost? There's nothing so tiresome as know it all critic, and that's how you are coming off. This thread is supposed to be about the atrocious invasion of Ukraine, but your "see how smart I am" desire to speak badly about this country oozes in. Ever tried to see the glass as half-full? Ever felt any gratitude at all for people who have done and are doing their best to make other people's lives better? Any words giving credit to anything good the US has done for the world? What about those suffering right now in Ukraine (and in Russia too)? Any sympathy there? Any constructive use of  any sympathies you might have? Some of us who see life differently find endless negativity sophomoric and boring.
So, so boring.

It's after Veterans' Day now, so I can continue, right?

My intention isn't to deny this "atrocious invasion." Rather, it's to study the "atrocious intervention" that led to it.

I don't deny the good that the U.S. did to others, including the Marshal Plan, but when its most liberal former President refers to it as the equivalent of the top warmonger not only of the world but in modern history, then I can't easily ignore that:

https://www.counterpunch.org/2019/04/19/jimmy-carter-us-most-warlike-nation-in-history-of-the-world/

Carter then said the US has been at peace for only 16 of its 242 years as a nation. Counting wars, military attacks and military occupations, there have actually only been five years of peace in US history — 1976, the last year of the Gerald Ford administration and 1977-80, the entirety of Carter’s presidency. Carter then referred to the US as “the most warlike nation in the history of the world,” a result, he said, of the US forcing other countries to “adopt our American principles.”

And even those years of peace are questionable:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carter_Doctrine

The region which is now threatened by Soviet troops in Afghanistan is of great strategic importance: It contains more than two-thirds of the world's exportable oil. The Soviet effort to dominate Afghanistan has brought Soviet military forces to within 300 miles of the Indian Ocean and close to the Straits of Hormuz, a waterway through which most of the world's oil must flow. The Soviet Union is now attempting to consolidate a strategic position, therefore, that poses a grave threat to the free movement of Middle East oil.

This situation demands careful thought, steady nerves, and resolute action, not only for this year but for many years to come. It demands collective efforts to meet this new threat to security in the Persian Gulf and in Southwest Asia. It demands the participation of all those who rely on oil from the Middle East and who are concerned with global peace and stability. And it demands consultation and close cooperation with countries in the area which might be threatened.

And since we're now talking about being sympathetic, where were all those "I stand with Ukraine" cheerleaders when hundreds of thousands of Afghans, Iraqis, Syrians, Yemenis, and more were suffering and dying? Were they following the logic of the Carter doctrine, stating that that was necessary in order to ensure protecting what is strategically important? What's the possibility that that "crazy SOB" is also thinking the same?

So, now we have a double-standard: Russia is insane if it follows not just the equivalent of the Carter but even the Reagan doctrine:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reagan_Doctrine

"We must not break faith with those who are risking their lives—on every continent from Afghanistan to Nicaragua—to defy Soviet-supported aggression and secure rights which have been ours from birth."[1]

but the U.S. is not because it's exceptional, right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_exceptionalism

So, my question remains: why didn't most "freedom-loving" people worldwide not notice that as the West coerced, destabilized, and coerced multiple countries across decades, but are now upset when China sets up installations in the SCS (pop quiz: which country has the most installations in the region? clue: it's not China) and Russia invades Ukraine?

Perhaps you already answered the question: because it's boring to hear that. But doesn't that argument work both ways?
ralfy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #513 on: November 12, 2022, 08:44:07 PM »

In the case of the Ukraine War, the puppeteer is POO-TIN. 

I think, following what the OP said, he's a "crazy SOB," but lashing out at the puppeteer.

But who's the puppeteer? Might this lecture help?

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1 Small | Large
ralfy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #514 on: November 12, 2022, 08:44:50 PM »

I agree with ER here, his post was a reminder that even if you believe you are right and may be to a degree you can let it go one day once in a while.  Also do we have to have SMFH here?

But doesn't that argument work both ways?
ralfy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #515 on: November 12, 2022, 08:48:08 PM »

Allhallows - wrong. US/ NAto is the agressor

That's possible:

"History has shown that NATO is the aggressor"

https://challenge-magazine.org/2022/02/22/history-has-shown-that-nato-is-the-aggressor/

2004 saw the largest expansion in terms of territorial size. The three Baltic states of Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania joined alongside Romania, Bulgaria, Slovakia and Slovenia. NATO was now less than two hundred kilometres from Saint Petersburg and the Russian border was now far more exposed than the Soviet one had been in 1941. Only Belarus and Ukraine remained neutral.

Ukraine! How can we forget. In 1994, Russia, Great Britain, and the United States agreed in Budapest a series of measures to support Ukrainian nuclear de-armament, since Ukraine had inherited a relatively large stock of Soviet nuclear weapons. The Budapest Memorandum essentially guaranteed the neutrality of Ukraine. Yet in 2004, despite all historical assurances and the text of the Budapest Memorandum, American and European finances poured in to support Presidential candidate Viktor Yushchenko. Billions of dollars from the State Department and USAID have been spent in Ukraine building a political movement to separate Ukraine from Russia.

ralfy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #516 on: November 12, 2022, 08:52:01 PM »

I don't get it

I think he's trying to point out in a 4chan way that you're just cheerleading for the pro-Russia crowd. The problem is that much of media is doing that for the U.S. and its allies.

In my case, I follow most countries that want to remain neutral because I think we're looking at two "crazy SOBs" and not one.

ralfy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #517 on: November 12, 2022, 09:15:51 PM »

Who is the more important trading partner: China (red) or USA (blue)? How drastically the world economy has changed. No wonder US and EU miscalculated how sanctions would "weaken" Russia. Thanks to Henry Hakamaki for the graphic.

https://twitter.com/profwolff/status/1591475916592611329
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #518 on: November 12, 2022, 09:22:05 PM »

I don't get it

I think he's trying to point out in a 4chan way that you're just cheerleading for the pro-Russia crowd. The problem is that much of media is doing that for the U.S. and its allies.

WAH-rong!   TeddyR

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Morpheus, the unwoke.
Bad Movie Lover

I am a Bill Maher Democrat. Deal with it.

« Reply #519 on: November 13, 2022, 12:22:49 AM »

People are blaming NATO for provoking the Russian attack on Ukraine. Has anyone considered Russia's seizure of Crimea 'provoked' countries to seek NATO membership?

They will come back, come back again, As long as the red earth rolls. He never wasted a leaf or a tree. Do you think he would squander souls?” ― Ruyard Kipling

We all come from the goddess and to her we shall return, like a drop of rain flowing to the ocean.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #520 on: November 13, 2022, 01:02:33 AM »

here's a question:

If the US were to start putting troops into Ukraine and declared war on Russia would people have a problem with that? Also, considering we are literally paying the salaries of Ukraine's government and funding their military to massive extent is there really a difference between that and now?

LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #521 on: November 13, 2022, 01:34:15 AM »

here's a question:

If the US were to start putting troops into Ukraine and declared war on Russia would people have a problem with that? Also, considering we are literally paying the salaries of Ukraine's government and funding their military to massive extent is there really a difference between that and now?

Considering the war that the Biden administration has declared on energy & transportation, and considering the effects it's had on the supply chain, which has in turn wrecked various forms of employment as well as our ability to produce, not to mention the New Woke Military, the whole notion leaves me very nervous....

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #522 on: November 13, 2022, 01:38:23 AM »

If Iraq and Vietnam had been fought by mercenary armies instead of american soldiers would they then have been okay?
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #523 on: November 13, 2022, 09:34:24 AM »

here's a question:

If the US were to start putting troops into Ukraine and declared war on Russia would people have a problem with that?

Yes.

Also, considering we are literally paying the salaries of Ukraine's government and funding their military to massive extent is there really a difference between that and now?

Yes.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #524 on: November 13, 2022, 09:35:36 AM »

Thanks for answering my question, lester.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 54
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  The Crazy SOB Actually Did it! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.