Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:23:23 AM
713348 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Wednesday. « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Wednesday.  (Read 3155 times)
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« on: November 28, 2022, 02:16:49 AM »

Started watching this last night and took in the first two episodes.

Something about the look of Morticia (Cathrene Zeta-Jones) just seemed wrong. Maybe I've always saw her as having a less rounded face, better cheekbones? Whatever it was, when she was on screen it just didn't seem to work.  Maybe it is because my friend went to school with her and said she was a b***h. Despite the concerns, Gomez (Luis Guzmán) seemed fine, although to be honest the pair had so little screen time it was hard to make a judgement. When he is on screen, the shadow of Raul Julia lays heavily on him. He fits the comic more, but Julia made that role his.

Wednesday herself seems as you'd expect. Mostly unemotional. It is hard to gauge the acting there when you have such a one-dimensional character, but it isn't bad.

Visually, plotwise and so forth everything was more or less as you'd expect. It was interesting enough to keep me watching, but not gripping enough for me to want to sit up late and watch just one more episode. I'd imagine we'll watch some more tonight.

Has anyone else had a watch yet?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 04:30:22 AM by Alex » Logged

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Dr. Whom
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Cthulhu for president! Why choose the lesser evil?

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2022, 02:06:31 AM »

I made about two thirds through the first episode. Visually, it is completely on point, as you might expect from Tim Burton. Jenna Ortega is perfect as Wednesday. Yes, it is a one note character, but that is kind of the point.

On the other hand, I found the plot completely by the numbers. For me, one of the charms of the Addams family is that there is no malice in them, despite their lifestyle. Here, this is replaced by standard fabricated conflict. This may resonate with teens, but doesn't make it stand out from any other school series. Likewise, the whole Nevermore storyline seems like Wednesday goes to Hogwarts with the standard beats of a high school drama thrown in.

To paraphrase Zaphod Beeblebrox: ten out of ten for style, but minus several million for good writing.

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
Morpheus, the unwoke.
Bad Movie Lover

I am a Bill Maher Democrat. Deal with it.

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2022, 02:18:40 AM »

I binged it after seeing a few eps at a friend's house. Like it overall but that's just moi. Plenty of plot twists
and turns, Wednesday is not really a mary sue, she makes mistakes. Tim Burton earned his pay for this show.

They will come back, come back again, As long as the red earth rolls. He never wasted a leaf or a tree. Do you think he would squander souls?” ― Ruyard Kipling

We all come from the goddess and to her we shall return, like a drop of rain flowing to the ocean.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2022, 07:49:10 AM »

I've enjoyed the episode or two I've seen so far. I plan on finishing it.

I do like Jenna Ortega and I've seen her in other stuff and hope she does more, not just as Wednesday, but in the future.

Luis Guzman is a great actor, and looks like the comic accurate version of the character, but there's a lot to live up to after Raul Julia. He has a lot to live up to and it's not his fault.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2022, 09:53:34 AM »

I'm about halfway through and loving it!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
chefzombie
zombie chef to the stars

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2022, 03:58:45 AM »

overall, i enjoyed it, but not enough to watch it again, or to watch season two unless i'm just.. THAT bored. catherine was NOT morticia, and that's part of my problem. now, if they did a series with thing and pugsley in their freshman year, with wednesday in the " big sister background", i might watch a few epis.

don't EVEN...EVER!
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2022, 05:11:36 PM »

Finished it and thought it was delightful. I do think it is emblematic of the fact that somewhere along the line pure storytelling has been surrendered (hopefully not lost) in favor of agenda. Still, it absolutely had its moments.

A PS about casting.
The actress who played Wednesday did a perfect job.
Some other characters were also well cast and portrayed.
However, in many cases the casting choices were complete duds. Just....why?

PPS: I admit I did not know the normie was Christina Ricci. For some odd reason I thought that was Michelle Pfeiffer, and I was struck by how young she looked.  Boy....
PPPS: I liked it better than The Sandman.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 10:47:52 PM by ER » Logged

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2022, 07:59:07 PM »

Patty and I finished it up last night, and we found the whole thing quite entertaining.
I didn't mind the teen angst, really, because, well, the show is - about teenagers! LOL
And Wednesday herself was cast quite perfectly.  After her, my favorite characters were Uncle Fester and the evil librarian.
Looking forward to next season!

(If you see a trend with me and these TV shows, I guess it would be: "I am easily entertained.")

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2022, 09:14:02 AM »

I caught the first episode about a week ago and dug it, but haven't had time to watch more since then.

My wife loved it, she blasted thru the entire season while I was at work one day!

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2023, 06:23:02 PM »

I take back everything unflattering I wrote about this series. It was charming and I miss it.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
chefzombie
zombie chef to the stars

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2023, 02:05:34 AM »

it's officially renewed for season 2!

don't EVEN...EVER!
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2023, 08:34:23 PM »

I watched a few more episodes of this today (I think I'm up to #4).  Fun stuff, will get to the rest of it soon. Glad to hear there's going to be another season.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Wednesday. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.