Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 03:47:54 AM
714199 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  LET'S SCARE JESSICA TO DEATH (1971) « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: LET'S SCARE JESSICA TO DEATH (1971)  (Read 5322 times)
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« on: April 22, 2011, 03:24:31 AM »

1970's. Vampire movies. Most think of Hammer films, Count Yorga,maybe Blacula. Most don't recall perhaps the BEST of them all...because there are no bloody fangs,bats,crosses,or flowing capes. In fact,most of the terror happens in sparkling sunlight. Which makes LET'S SCARE JESSICA TO DEATH so dam creepy.
 The story-in breif-
Jessica,recovering from a mental breakdown,moves with her husband Duncan and his pal Woody from NYC to an old farmhouse in the boonies. When they get there, a hippy chick named Emily has been using the deserted place as a crash pad. The New Yorkers become enamored of the girl,and invite her to stay. Bad move.
Jessica finds an old wedding dress,a very large knife,and a spooky portrait that looks oddly similar to Emily. While trying to sell the picture in town,the antique dealer relates the tale of a girl who drowned on her wedding day that lived in their home. And that legend has-lives on as a vampire.
 Things get weird. Jessica hears voices. A little girl roams the graveyard. And the town folk are very unfreindly.
Emily starts putting the moves on Duncan,tries to drown Emily,and rises from the lake in her ancient wedding dress.
And then things get REALLY weird!

A very,very creepy and understated film....it plays more like a ghost story than a vampire flick. And what ever happened to Zohra Lampert-the marvelous actress who plays Jessica? Sadly-wher carrear never really took off.
Along with Romero's MARTIN,the best vampire film of the 70's.

Small | Large

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
claws
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 03:41:39 AM »

One of my all time favorite movies.
Usually around Halloween I will watch Jessica followed by Lemora: A Child's Tale of the Supernatural (1973) and Martin (1977). Greatest triple feature ever in my opinion :)
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 04:09:31 AM »

I first saw this in the '70's, on late night tv during a summer thunderstorm. We lived in a very old farmhouse in the boonies at the time. I've loved this movie ever since.   Wink

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
claws
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 04:31:20 AM »

I first saw this in the '70's, on late night tv during a summer thunderstorm. We lived in a very old farmhouse in the boonies at the time. I've loved this movie ever since.   Wink

I first saw Let's Scare Jessica To Death in the late 70s after we moved from the states to Germany. It was playing at a U.S. Military Theater on base (they would always play old re-runs throughout the year). I was way too young to handle the horror, me and my sister had to leave the theater a half hour before the ending. We both were literally scared to death haha.
I finally saw the ending in the mid 80s when Paramount released it on VHS.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 04:37:01 AM »

What inspired me to write this review-I watched the old 80's Paramount vhs last night! It's got the girl on a boat with a knife-and skeleton hands creeping up. Goofy cover art for a good movie.

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 06:35:16 AM »

Never seen this one. I'm gonna have to check it out, looks very good and I fully trust the praise received from RC.  Smile

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 08:04:35 AM »

I bought this DVD back in 2006.  here's a stroll down memory lane:

http://www.badmovies.org/forum/index.php/topic,109747.0.html

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 09:17:45 AM »

It's got a redhead in it, so I'm already sold.

I've heard of this film, never seen it. I will have to put it on my list. My list has been growing and with a visit from the in-laws for a week they're going to have a wait.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 09:24:26 AM »

[/quote]
I bought this DVD back in 2006.  here's a stroll down memory lane:

OOOOhhh yeeaaah! Wow! That was a while ago,eh? "Memor-ieeessss...! Misty water drowning memorieeees... ofthe they way we brrrrr...!"
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 09:35:08 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 09:31:27 AM »

OOOOhhh yeeaaah! Wow! That was a while ago,eh? "Memor-ieeessss...! Misty water drowning memorieeees... ofthe they way we brrrrr...!"

I was shocked to see that this was all the way back in 2006.  I would have guessed I bought this movie about 2 or 3 years ago.  My, how time flies . . .

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
claws
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 10:15:23 AM »

I was so happy when this was released I actually bought two DVDs of Let's Scare Jessica To Death day one  TeddyR

This off beat dark humor indie flick pays homage to Jessica, and several other 70s horror movies like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Messiah of Evil:

Small | Large

Enjoyed it very much. Worth a looksy.
crackers
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2011, 03:15:36 PM »

Thank you for the tip. I will give this a go.

voltron

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2011, 06:16:39 PM »

I burnt this one, but it didn't work for me, but it's WAAAY up there on my "must see" list, so I'll grab the legit dvd asap. Hey RC, from what I've read, wasn't this one more of a zombie movie?

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2011, 07:07:05 PM »

I first saw this in the '70's, on late night tv during a summer thunderstorm. We lived in a very old farmhouse in the boonies at the time. I've loved this movie ever since.   Wink
That's right; I think I watched that same night so long ago...  Bluesad Question Smile There is another hippy chick in the graveyard, but near the beginning, maybe the second time, doesn't Jessica see the redhead in the cemetary...?  Question  
I own this movie on DVD too.  It's another one of those "motionless" movies with thick atmosphere that I love.  

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2011, 07:50:03 PM »

I burnt this one, but it didn't work for me, but it's WAAAY up there on my "must see" list, so I'll grab the legit dvd asap. Hey RC, from what I've read, wasn't this one more of a zombie movie?
Not a zombie movie, though there is a moment there, albeit brief, when it gets zombie-like...

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  LET'S SCARE JESSICA TO DEATH (1971) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.