Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:10:13 AM
714601 Posts in 53100 Topics by 7748 Members
Latest Member: Lucinda02
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  LET'S SCARE JESSICA TO DEATH (1971) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: LET'S SCARE JESSICA TO DEATH (1971)  (Read 1699 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: September 12, 2006, 09:22:03 PM »

This is a decent, fairly creepy thriller about a woman, recently released from a mental institution, who moves into an old, secluded house with her husband and their friend Woody.  They meet a young woman who Jessica suspects is a vampire.  This is a good old-fashioned horror flick, complete with ghostly apparitions, haunting voices, seances, and weird characters.  It would make a good double feature with THE CHANGELING.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 04:55:39 AM »

This is a GREAT ghost/vampire flick! The scenes with thw creepy hippy chick coming out of the lake are really scary.My youngest kid(12) wont watch it...it gives him the creeps-but he'll sit right through BLADE.Kinda goes to show you how a little atmosphere can go a long way,as compared with buckets of blood.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
odinn7

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 06:49:58 AM »

Yeah...my f'ing sister used this one to scare me when I was a kid. She wanted me to watch it with her and lied about it. I came in and sat down a little before the tractor and gashed neck scene. When that came on, I almost passed out and I ran from the room. That bothered me for years.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 09:27:21 AM »

Wow, LET'S SCARE JESSICA TO DEATH is a title that I haven't even heard mentioned since the 70's. Might have to get my Netflix subscription/membership back. THE CHANGELING and LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE are also good 70's horror/ghost stories.

Shadowphile
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 06:58:47 PM »

The 70s was when they still remembered that the best special effects are made behind your eyes.  I especially liked scenes where you only heard what was happening and only saw indistinct shadows on a wall or got to watch somebody's eyes as they watched what you were only hearing.
Scott

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 07:50:50 PM »

Tell me......is there a hearse in this movie? With a creepy image of some dude driving around in a hearse and the girl is scared to death. I think in the scene I'm thinking the lady is pulling out of her drive way and the hearse pulls along side her house or something and she is scared. In broad daylight. I've been trying to find the title to this movie for years. This is all I can remember of the film, but it has always made me wonder about the rest of the film. Maybe LET'S SCARE JESSICA TO DEATH is the film.

LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2006, 12:07:57 AM »

I must admit, I've never seen Let's Scare Jessica to Death, but I can think of two movies involving a hearse that sound like one you just described.

The first is Burnt Offerings, about a family that moves into an old mansion & get bugged by this guy in a hearse, with dark glasses who keeps showing up & grinning at them.

The other one is The Hearse, about a woman who moves into an ancestral house & starts getting bugged buy a guy in a hearse with a "Boston Blackie" mustache.

Finally, there's The Nail Gun Massacre, a cheesey exploitation flick that sounds nothing like what you described, other than the killer drives a hearse.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2006, 08:26:13 AM »

There IS a hearse in this movie,but it's owned by Jessica and her boyfriend.I believe your talking about BURNT OFFERINGS. The creepy guy has sunglasses and a chauffer's cap....And he pops up through out the film to scare Oliver Reed and family(including Gramma Bette Davis.)I wonder what became of the cast of JESSICA....I don't recall seeing them in any other films.I bought a copy at a flea market a couple years back,with the original poster art on the cover...

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2006, 02:27:12 PM »

RC:

Check out IMDB.com.  Zohra Lampert (Jessica), Barton Heyman (Duncan), Gretchen Corbett (The Girl), Alan Manson (Sam), and Mariclare Costello (Emily) all have long lists of movies and television appearances.  Kevin O'Conner (Woody) has a shorter list of credits.  According to THE PSYCHOTRONIC ENCYCLOPEDIA OF FILM, most of the cast was made up of soap opera and stage actors.  Heyman, O'Connor, and Manson are dead now.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Scott

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2006, 09:01:12 PM »

I know it's not THE HEARSE because I own that film, but maybe it's BURNT OFFERINGS. Haven't rented this one because I heard it wasn't very good, but nice to hear someone likes it. I will rent it at the first opportunity. The scene I mentioned has been a long time curiousity. Thanks for the info.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  LET'S SCARE JESSICA TO DEATH (1971) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.