Previous topic - Next topic

zelmo73

Quote from: RCMerchant on June 19, 2021, 07:26:54 PM
The Jedi?  :question:

I'm so glad your based in the real world.  :thumbup:
Gives me faith in the human race!
Gotta stop that evil Empire, ya know!

There's something that you should know, RC: Art often imitates life.  :cheers:

QuoteWithout Michael Moore and "Fahrenheit 9/11" at the Cannes Film Festival this time, it was left to George Lucas and "Star Wars" to pique European ire over the state of world relations and the United States' role in it.

Lucas' themes of democracy on the skids and a ruler preaching war to preserve the peace predate "Star Wars: Episode III — Revenge of the Sith" by almost 30 years. Yet viewers Sunday — and Lucas himself — noted similarities between the final chapter of his sci-fi saga and our own troubled times.

Cannes audiences made blunt comparisons between "Revenge of the Sith," the story of Anakin Skywalker's fall to the dark side and the rise of an emperor through warmongering, to President Bush's war on terrorism and the invasion of Iraq.

Two lines from the movie especially resonated:

"This is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause," bemoans Padme Amidala (Natalie Portman) as the galactic Senate cheers dictator-in-waiting Palpatine (Ian McDiarmid) while he announces a crusade against the Jedi.

"If you're not with me, then you're my enemy," Hayden Christensen's Anakin (soon to become villain Darth Vader) tells former mentor Obi-Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor). The line echoes Mr. Bush's international ultimatum after the Sept. 11 attacks, "Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists."

Lucas said he patterned his story after historical transformations from freedom to fascism, never figuring when he started his prequel trilogy in the late 1990s that current events might parallel his space fantasy.

"As you go through history, I didn't think it was going to get quite this close. So it's just one of those recurring things," Lucas said at a Cannes news conference. "I hope this doesn't come true in our country.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/sith-invites-bush-comparisons/
First rule is, 'The laws of Germany'
Second rule is, 'Be nice to mommy'
Third rule is, 'Don't talk to commies'
Fourth rule is, 'Eat kosher salamis'
------------------
The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and says "Make me one with everything!"

RCMerchant

^ Well, thank you Zelmo for that insightful political commentary!  
What that has to do with Juneteenth I have no clue....  :lookingup:

WAIT! I see the light! It's like an orgasm! Like Putin quoting Tolstoy!
Obama was Skelator and He-Man is Trump! It's all falling into place!
It's like an epiphany! Or waking up a small sleeping child by dumping a bucket of ice water on him! I can walk again! I am healed!
Or something!

http://youtu.be/32FB-gYr49Y
Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."
Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant

LilCerberus

Okay!
Juneteenth is over!
Today we celebrate the acquittal of Lizzie Borden, the murder of Bugsy Siegel, and the release of Jaws.....
"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.

LilCerberus

Quote from: LilCerberus on June 20, 2021, 11:31:10 AM
Okay!
Juneteenth is over!
Today we celebrate the acquittal of Lizzie Borden, the murder of Bugsy Siegel, and the release of Jaws.....

Oh!
On this day in African American history, Muhammad Ali was convicted of violating selective service laws....
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.

RCMerchant

Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Slobber, Drool, Drip!

Rev. Powell

Quote from: LilCerberus on June 20, 2021, 11:36:30 AM
Okay!
Juneteenth is over!

Oh!
On this day in African American history, Muhammad Ali was convicted of violating selective service laws....

That conviction is a shameful date in American history. Resisting the draft was Muhammad Ali's greatest achievement and the reason why he is a great person, not just a great athlete. With his money and celebrity he could have easily gotten a deferment or gone to another country. He was willing to give up the best years of his athletic career, and his freedom, to make a conscientious stand against the Vietnam War. And the Supreme Court eventually agreed with him.

No need to point out all the others who took the easy way out. Almost all rich people took the easy way out. As much as I admire Ali for his stand, I fear if I had been of draft age then and had the money, I would have taken the easy way out.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...

Allhallowsday

Quote from: RCMerchant on June 20, 2021, 02:47:51 AM
...WAIT! I see the light! It's like an orgasm! Like Putin quoting Tolstoy!
Obama was Skelator and He-Man is Trump! It's all falling into place!
It's like an epiphany! Or waking up a small sleeping child by dumping a bucket of ice water on him! I can walk again! I am healed!
Or something...!

Nah... You're just all wet. 
If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!

Allhallowsday

Quote from: Rev. Powell on June 20, 2021, 12:38:50 PM
...Oh!  On this day in African American history, Muhammad Ali was convicted of violating selective service laws....
That conviction is a shameful date in American history. Resisting the draft was Muhammad Ali's greatest achievement and the reason why he is a great person, not just a great athlete. With his money and celebrity he could have easily gotten a deferment or gone to another country. He was willing to give up the best years of his athletic career, and his freedom, to make a conscientious stand against the Vietnam War. And the Supreme Court eventually agreed with him...

Brings to mind the whole point of Juneteenth.  I wonder how "easily" a black man could have gotten a deferment.  Pvt Bone Spurs had no problem. 
If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!

LilCerberus

Quote from: Rev. Powell on June 20, 2021, 12:38:50 PM
Okay!
Juneteenth is over!

Oh!

That conviction is a shameful date in American history. Resisting the draft was Muhammad Ali's greatest achievement and the reason why he is a great person, not just a great athlete. With his money and celebrity he could have easily gotten a deferment or gone to another country. He was willing to give up the best years of his athletic career, and his freedom, to make a conscientious stand against the Vietnam War. And the Supreme Court eventually agreed with him.

No need to point out all the others who took the easy way out. Almost all rich people took the easy way out. As much as I admire Ali for his stand, I fear if I had been of draft age then and had the money, I would have taken the easy way out.

Yes, that was kinda my point.
Thanks Rev.

RCMerchant

^ What point? We were talking about what to call Juneteenth.
So what was your problem with Juneteenth?
You had a deal with the name?  :bluesad:
Slobber, Drool, Drip!

LilCerberus

pacman000

Juneteenth was already a holiday in Texas. The name was well-known, with celebrations across the state. Most folks probably don't know the exact details, but they know it was the day the slaves were freed.

Changing the name would just cause confusion, even if "Order 3 Day" sounds cooler. (I like Juneteenth better, but I'm used to it.)

zelmo73

First rule is, 'The laws of Germany'
Second rule is, 'Be nice to mommy'
Third rule is, 'Don't talk to commies'
Fourth rule is, 'Eat kosher salamis'
------------------
The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and says "Make me one with everything!"

indianasmith

Quote from: zelmo73 on June 21, 2021, 02:32:39 AM
Quote from: RCMerchant on June 20, 2021, 11:47:10 AM
^And he did it with convictions. Trump skirted it by faking being injured.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/pentagon-congress/2019/02/27/trumps-lawyer-no-basis-for-presidents-medical-deferment-from-vietnam/

You actually believe Michael Cohen? Why? Cohen is a liar and a criminal.

He was Trump's primary legal advisor and "fixer" for nearly 20 years. He's in a position to know.  And frankly, he's in a position where telling the truth about his former boss will benefit him more than making stuff up.
"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"

RCMerchant

Slobber, Drool, Drip!