Main Menu

What TV Shows Are you Watching?

Started by Rev. Powell, January 25, 2022, 09:03:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RCMerchant

True Crime s**t. Antiques Roadshow. Old movies- good and bad.
"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant

Sitting Duck

Quote from: Rev. Powell on May 19, 2024, 09:34:46 AM
Started Outer Range, a paranormal drama set on a Colorado ranch. Surprising ending to episode one. Promising.

I remember when this was first announced on The Site Formerly Known as Tor (now Reactor). On paper, the premise is interesting, but there were some red flags. One was how the Evil Ranchers are presented as being Evil because they seek to turn a profit. Which is pretty inane, since the only ranchers not interested in turning a profit are stupid and/or incompetent ranchers who quickly get buried in a mountain of debt. A couple of posters made some snarky cracks about this discrepancy. Not long after, articles announcing movies and streaming shows were set up as Comments Closed.

Rev. Powell

Quote from: Sitting Duck on May 20, 2024, 07:51:25 AM
Started Outer Range, a paranormal drama set on a Colorado ranch. Surprising ending to episode one. Promising.

I remember when this was first announced on The Site Formerly Known as Tor (now Reactor). On paper, the premise is interesting, but there were some red flags. One was how the Evil Ranchers are presented as being Evil because they seek to turn a profit. Which is pretty inane, since the only ranchers not interested in turning a profit are stupid and/or incompetent ranchers who quickly get buried in a mountain of debt. A couple of posters made some snarky cracks about this discrepancy. Not long after, articles announcing movies and streaming shows were set up as Comments Closed.

The first episode doesn't explain the cause of the feud between the neighboring ranchers, but I suspect there's a backstory that's a lot more involved than just turning a profit. Sounds to me like people on the site leapt to conclusions about the character's motivations without seeing the finished product?
I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...

RCMerchant

WAGON TRAIN- an old TV western. I like it.
"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!

Sitting Duck

Quote from: Rev. Powell on May 20, 2024, 08:11:06 AM

The first episode doesn't explain the cause of the feud between the neighboring ranchers, but I suspect there's a backstory that's a lot more involved than just turning a profit. Sounds to me like people on the site leapt to conclusions about the character's motivations without seeing the finished product?

The show's publicity department should be held accountable. Here's a relevant snippet from the show synopsis included in the announcement:

"They are pushed further to the brink when the Tillersons (the gaudy owners of the neighboring profit-driven ranch) make a play for their land."

The adjectives in the parenthetical phrase aren't strictly required, with the disapproving tone (what with them being the rivals of the protagonist clan) implying that those traits make them intrinsically Bad People who are violating the natural order. Of course, you might read that sentence and come off with a different impression.

Rev. Powell

Quote from: Sitting Duck on May 21, 2024, 07:41:15 AM
Quote from: Rev. Powell on May 20, 2024, 08:11:06 AM

The show's publicity department should be held accountable. Here's a relevant snippet from the show synopsis included in the announcement:

"They are pushed further to the brink when the Tillersons (the gaudy owners of the neighboring profit-driven ranch) make a play for their land."

The adjectives in the parenthetical phrase aren't strictly required, with the disapproving tone (what with them being the rivals of the protagonist clan) implying that those traits make them intrinsically Bad People who are violating the natural order. Of course, you might read that sentence and come off with a different impression.

I see what they're getting at, but seems like a tempest in a teapot to me. Oh well.
I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...

lester1/2jr

Has anyone seen Empire? the "urban" show? is it good?

RCMerchant

^I saw it advertised. If I watch urban stuff, it's usually comedy stuff, stuff like SANFORD AND SON, or KEY AND PEELE.
Or lotsa fighting and shooting- or monsters.

Slobber, Drool, Drip!

zombie no.one

found the first 3 seasons of HOME IMPROVEMENT on dvd cheap... not watched this since it went out. holds up well imo, the writing is pretty sharp and the cast is clearly all having great fun.... watching it from today's perspective it seems very 'hetero-normative'(?).  not sure the focus on stereotypically male/macho values would fly today, even though it is gently parodying that as well as kind of celebrating it.

the scary thing is Tim Allen was only about 36 or 37 in season 1... all their 3 kids in the show are now in their 40s in real life (the actors I mean)  :buggedout:
please do not mock my potato.

Alex

The Ghosts of Motley Hall.

A kids show I used to watch back in the day about a group of ghosts from different time periods all living in an old stately home. I wonder if this inspired the modern show Ghosts?
Your kisses turn princes into frogs and passion plays into monologues.

zombie no.one

never heard of that show... but I remember RENTAGHOST, lol

Alex

Similar in tone to Rentaghost. The cast is slightly more recognisable with people like Freddy Jones (Krull) and Peter Sallis (Last of the Summer Wine). I wouldn't suggest looking it out though (as much as I enjoyed it) as I suspect without the nostalgia factor it'd fall a bit flat nowadays.
Your kisses turn princes into frogs and passion plays into monologues.

zombie no.one

cool... but yeah I will not be rushing to check it.

THE SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN : SERIES 4

I find this nowhere near as entertaining as THE BIONIC WOMAN, even though the premise is basically the same. Lindsay Wagner brought a warmth and humour to her role as Jamie Sommers... Lee Majors is a bit dry and distant as Steve Austin. A bit of a meathead.

Still, I'm enjoying it ... I'm a sucker for US 70s tv series like this. the plots are silly. the special effects, not that special. but it's all so innocent and fun, and not trying to be ultra cool and edgy like most newer tv series.