Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:11:14 PM
713365 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  The Sandman. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The Sandman.  (Read 6825 times)
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« on: May 20, 2022, 11:34:26 AM »

Watched the trailer for the upcoming series. Any Neil Gaiman fans looking forward/dreading this?

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2022, 07:02:18 AM »

I've only seen the first trailer; it seems to follow the graphic novel pretty closely.
I'm anxious to see how it looks.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2022, 12:25:33 PM »

I've been burned so often in recent years by shows I looked forward to that I may not even check this out at all. I have the source material which is near-perfection. The Sandman series is simply storytelling for its own sake, no agenda, no heavy-handed attempt at shoving out lessons, just a great, great work of literature and visual art that has few equals. So....in answer, I am not dreading it or anticipating it, just ignoring it. (But all that said, I would love to love it if it did turn out to be good.)

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2022, 08:10:11 PM »

I've been burned so often in recent years by shows I looked forward to that I may not even check this out at all. I have the source material which is near-perfection. The Sandman series is simply storytelling for its own sake, no agenda, no heavy-handed attempt at shoving out lessons, just a great, great work of literature and visual art that has few equals. So....in answer, I am not dreading it or anticipating it, just ignoring it. (But all that said, I would love to love it if it did turn out to be good.)

I somehow don't think you will be able to resist watching . . .

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2022, 12:20:29 AM »

I heard they'd released a trailer with footage of Lucifer, but not been able to find it. The other trailer that I have seen looked good and Neil Gaiman does seem to be involved in the making of the show.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2022, 12:56:42 PM »

The latest teaser cemented my worst fears about what's been done to the greatest graphic novel series of all time. Not going to watch it, and I have to add I have lost faith in the ability of the entertainment industry to render quality, agenda-free storytelling these days.

We live in the age of quantity. We live in the age of moralizing. We live in shallow times.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
kornula
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2022, 10:19:54 PM »

I saw one trailer last month. I don't like how they made Morpheus look angry when he broke free of his magical prison.  It was out of character for him.  That alone has put me off.   

That and Neil Gaiman openly expressing writing the TV production to appease the "woke" mob also put me off
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2022, 11:34:19 AM »

I'm not particularly interested in this series, but I found this interesting.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2022, 11:40:52 AM »

I am going to watch it, but I have a number of other things that get priority, like Prey and getting round to Stranger Things.

indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2022, 09:27:11 PM »

I watched the first two episodes tonight.  Yes, it does depart from the canon in terms of plot, but I think the casting is brilliant, for the most part, and the plot is well constructed.  I'm curious to see how the story unfolds.

In short - my opinion, it's DIFFERENT from the graphic novels in some key ways, but it's not bad.

Sitting Duck
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2022, 08:05:10 AM »

The latest teaser cemented my worst fears about what's been done to the greatest graphic novel series of all time. Not going to watch it, and I have to add I have lost faith in the ability of the entertainment industry to render quality, agenda-free storytelling these days.

Maybe they should have had Melendez Films handle the adaptation.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2022, 08:51:59 AM »

Through two episodes I haven't discovered the "woke" content yet. A Facebook guy from Brazil told me that the problem was half the characters were gay, but since there's only been one gay couple so far they are really going to have to pump up the gayness through the remaining episodes to get to that 50% ratio.

I also don't see why the source material is so beloved. It's decent fantasy so far, but there's no special magic to it, so I'm guessing something is not translating.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2022, 01:03:56 PM »

Through two episodes I haven't discovered the "woke" content yet. A Facebook guy from Brazil told me that the problem was half the characters were gay, but since there's only been one gay couple so far they are really going to have to pump up the gayness through the remaining episodes to get to that 50% ratio.

I also don't see why the source material is so beloved. It's decent fantasy so far, but there's no special magic to it, so I'm guessing something is not translating.

I know I saw a lot of complaints about Death being played by a black woman. I wasn't paying too much attention to the complaints though so I am not sure what else they were up in arms about.

Archivist
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2022, 11:21:22 PM »

I only have a couple of Sandman graphic novels, although I find them deeply enjoyable. I just finished watching the episode based on his conversations with Death in the park, and with the man whom Death made immortal, and I love the way those stories were adapted. They have captured the sense of the graphic novels and manage to create some genuine emotion. I'm not emotionally invested in the accurate retelling of the graphic novels, so seeing it all unfold is a very pleasant experience. Looking forward to seeing how they handle the story of the Corinthian.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2022, 05:52:52 AM »

I've watched the entire first season and am re-watching it this week.  It's a beautiful, well-done adaptation.
The blowback over Death's depiction, I think, is due to the fact that she and Dream look much alike in the graphic novels - almost like twins.
But the complaints dropped sharply after the episode aired, because the actress played the character so well the lack of physical resemblance ceased to matter.  Overall, I've enjoyed it the most of any of the big fantasy series releases this year.

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  The Sandman. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.