Main Menu

Forgotten Bad Slasher Movies

Started by claws, April 13, 2024, 12:20:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M.10rda

PSYCHOS IN LOVE isn't particularly gory but it IS very funny and very well-acted by the "psycho" leads. The director made a handful of other amusing low-budget films. I recommend it!

RCMerchant

DRIVE-IN MASSACRE (1976) was an early slasher before the craze of the 80's. It was pretty tame, but of cousrse I seen it on a big box early VHS, so I'm sure it was slashed itself of any grue.

Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."
Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant

claws

Delusion (1981)

Delusion was at first not necessarily advertised as a "slasher" rather a psychological drama mystery. It was later re-released theatrically with a more straight forward horror themed poster art, and at some point it received a title change in some markets as The House Where Death Lives. They went back to the original title Delusion for its home video debut.

I have really forgotten about this movie until I read that Vinegar Syndrome just released this to Blu-ray. Their review is pretty much spot on from what I remember. It is an extreme slow burner and for the most part doesn't feel like horror or a slasher at all. Either the makers were trying a different approach, or they didn't had a slasher in mind when they made Delusion. The acting is fine, but the film is still not that good. Obviously not your typical slasher flick. I'd like to rewatch this again, though.

Is it October yet?

zombie no.one

Yeah a lot of 'slashers' aren't really slashers are they. Just a convenient pigeon hole a lot of the time. A film like SWEET SIXTEEN falls under slasher but isn't really. It's not just about victims being slashed, it's a whole vibe / style... I have not heard of DELUSION though

DRIVE IN MASSACRE is pretty funny, I remember rewinding one scene where the actor fumbles his lines, and there's a pause
please do not mock my potato.

claws

Quote from: zombie no.one on May 31, 2024, 10:46:35 AM
Yeah a lot of 'slashers' aren't really slashers are they. Just a convenient pigeon hole a lot of the time. A film like SWEET SIXTEEN falls under slasher but isn't really. It's not just about victims being slashed, it's a whole vibe / style... I have not heard of DELUSION though

There's also Road Games (1981). If I'm not mistaken, this is the original Australian poster art

and I think this is the US poster art

the US poster gives off somewhat slasher vibes, and it has Jamie Lee Curtis in it, but Road Games is not a slasher.

Back in video rental days my mother and me rented everything that looked remotely like horror. Delusion was in the horror section and of course we rented and watched it, but it is not really horror except for a few corpses popping up in the final act. If anything, Delusion is an obscure one.
Is it October yet?

Alex

Quote from: claws on May 31, 2024, 12:33:29 PM
Quote from: zombie no.one on May 31, 2024, 10:46:35 AM

There's also Road Games (1981). If I'm not mistaken, this is the original Australian poster art

and I think this is the US poster art

the US poster gives off somewhat slasher vibes, and it has Jamie Lee Curtis in it, but Road Games is not a slasher.

Back in video rental days my mother and me rented everything that looked remotely like horror. Delusion was in the horror section and of course we rented and watched it, but it is not really horror except for a few corpses popping up in the final act. If anything, Delusion is an obscure one.

*sigh* Made me think back to when I was a kid and when my gran was babysitting me. We'd rent out horror movies and watch them together. I miss those long gone weekends.
I'll show you ruin
I'll show you heartbreak
I'll show you lonely
A sorrow in darkness