Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 03:10:55 PM
714160 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7732 Members
Latest Member: Larryfiste
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Metal fans: What bands got you into metal? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Metal fans: What bands got you into metal?  (Read 8214 times)
Joe the Destroyer
« on: January 02, 2010, 01:43:17 AM »

An extension of diamondwaspviper's awesome topic:

Who are the ones responsible for your metal addiction? 

My love affair with metal started with some of the obvious:

Small | Large

Small | Large

Small | Large

I refer to these guys as the 3 M's.  Of any metal bands these are the guys that I own the most albums for.  They're the three that got me into it.  Black Sabbath also get recognition. 

Small | Large

But there were a bunch of others that increased my appreciation in it as well.

Small | Large

Small | Large

Small | Large

zombie no.one
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Oookaay...

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 09:38:20 AM »

Pantera - Cowboys From Hell

the album that really got me into metal. I remember hearing ';Shattered' on the Friday Rock Show and thinking it was the best thing I'd ever heard, then dragging my dad around Glasgow on the day Cowboys From Hell was released trying to find a cassette of it so he could buy it for me, but nowhere had it, and no one in HMV etc had even heard of them - Their next album went in at #1 on the billboard charts

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 09:41:17 AM »

Small | Large

I stayed up late one night watching VH1 when I was about 10-11 and this video came on. That was it. I went out and found a "7 of "Breaking The Law" the next day - it came with a patch too. Never looked back since.

Small | Large

They played a sample of Kix on TotalRock radio (when it was good, and on air), which was a segment of "Midnite Dynamite" - I thought it was the coolest sounding band ever and the catchiest song I'd ever heard. Started my obssession with more obscure 80s hard rock acts.

Small | Large

Caught the video for "Looks That Kill" on some MTV special (when it was still a music channel) and was like: "Holy s**t, who or what are they!" - Started my somewhat unhealthy obssession with glam metal....

Small | Large

My dad gave me his old Black Sabbath albums to listen to, after he heard me playing Priest. Fairies Wear Boots was his favourite track from back when his was in the Navy, and I loved it too.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 12:50:35 PM by Circus Circus » Logged

Cthulhu

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 09:58:09 AM »

Small | Large
Small | Large

I also listened to a hungarian band called P-mobil.
And I was told that when I was 4, I also listened to Manowar. TeddyR
I don't really remember that though.

These got me into Metal, and others soon followed....
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 12:27:37 PM »

I was into hardcore and punk then I heard Death's "Leprosy" Lp and was hooked on metal
Time_Signature
Welcome to the zone...
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 05:39:21 PM »

Iron Maiden!!!

Action fighter: "I wouldn't turn your back on me if I was you".
Cthulhu

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 05:56:29 PM »

Iron Maiden!!!
Up the irons!
Maiden rules! Cheers
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 08:37:24 PM »

Metallica, then to Arch Enemy, then to The Agonist, etc...

yeah no.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 11:21:11 PM »

Bring the Noise- Anthrax/Public Enemy
Small | Large

Granted, this is kind of a Metal/Rap hybrid, but it's the first 'metal' song I heard, followed about 5 minutes later by this:

"Ace of Spades" by Motorhead
Small | Large

Saw some video of it on MTV back in the early '90s.

My aunt, who's about 6 years older than me and is more like an older sister as opposed to aunt, was living with me at the time, and it was around '91/'92, and I was about 7 or 8, her being like, 13/14.  She was watching some countdown type show on MTV, I think Headbanger's Ball, and these two videos played.  I LOVED both.  Since then, I've since kinda outgrown metal to a degree.

Growing up in the '90s, I was exposed to a lil bit of everything and ultimately became more of a punk/grunge fan, but I do have an appreciation for: Anthrax, Motorhead, Black Label Society, Killswitch Engage and Ozzy Osbourne.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Time_Signature
Welcome to the zone...
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 07:18:54 AM »

Iron Maiden!!!
Up the irons!
Maiden rules! Cheers

Yay!!! Ironically enough, it was the "Somewhere in Time" album that hooked me, which a lot of people consider one of their weakest non-Blaze albums.

Action fighter: "I wouldn't turn your back on me if I was you".
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 11:36:26 AM »

Iron Maiden!!!
Up the irons!
Maiden rules! Cheers

Yay!!! Ironically enough, it was the "Somewhere in Time" album that hooked me, which a lot of people consider one of their weakest non-Blaze albums.

Somewhere In Time is my favourite Iron Maiden album. Hearing"Stranger In A Strange Land" as a ten year old made me fall in love with 'em. Funny, I hardly ever listen to Iron Maiden anymore...
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 11:55:46 AM by Circus Circus » Logged

voltron

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 11:50:20 AM »

[/quote]

Somewhere In Time is my favourite Iron Maiden album. "Hearing Stranger In A Strange Land" as a ten year old made me fall in love with 'em. Funny, I hardly ever listen to Iron Maiden anymore...
[/quote]
yeah, Circus, Somewhere In Time is my fave Maiden album as well. They were the first metal band I got hooked on - the album that introduced me to them was Piece Of Mind. Totally blew me away. I was so dissappointed with the Seventh Son album that I stopped listening to them. Them I got into Metal Church, Kreator, Living Death, Metallica and lots of old school thrash. Then I was introduced to death metal by Death's Leprocy, then I got into Napalm Death, Carcass and the like. But nowadays I'll listen to pretty much anything (especially 80s stuff). I must be getting softer with my age.:)

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 12:16:05 PM »

If there is one song I can trace back to my interest in METAL it was Ratt's Round and Round.  My brother had bought a 45 single of the song and we played the hell out of it. 

I really took up liking METAL around 87 or 88 when I was in middle school.  Particularly bands like (once again) Ratt, Britny Fox, Metallica, Antrhax, Bulletboys, Warrant, Winger etc.  I remember in 6th grade buying magazines like Hit Parader and Circus.  A few buddies of mine would do the same and we'd trade pictures to hang on our bedrooms at home and lockers at school. 

Through the years and changes in METAL, I've always found something new to like.  I got into a lot of industrial stuff like NIN in late high school and early college, that and groove metal.  I loved White Zombie and played their stuff constantly on my discman.  I wasn't a huge Nu-Metal fan but I did like Korn's self titled debut. 

During college I listened to a decent amount of death metal along with my other favs.  I also got into the resurgance of "stoner rock" with bands like Fu Manchu, Sheavy and Orange Goblin. 

I like a HUGE mix of music but at heart I'm always a METAL guy.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 12:28:03 PM »

If there is one song I can trace back to my interest in METAL it was Ratt's Round and Round.  My brother had bought a 45 single of the song and we played the hell out of it. 

I recently received a comment on my blog stating that Ratt weren't metal...

Now I think when I'd been discussing them that I'd clearly used my own term of flash metal rather than anything such as "heavy" or even simply "metal". But, I do consider Ratt's first two albums to be heavy metal, as well as the Ratt EP. The riffs are uber heavy for glam rock.

Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2010, 12:32:06 PM »

I recently received a comment on my blog stating that Ratt weren't metal...
We must hunt them down, find them and do unatural things to them...

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Metal fans: What bands got you into metal? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.