Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:54:26 AM
713350 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Their best record...??? PICK ONE « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Their best record...??? PICK ONE  (Read 16293 times)
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« on: February 22, 2012, 02:27:32 AM »

For me, the best MICHAEL JACKSON is Off The Wall

MICHAEL made at least a few very interesting records... this is when record people were buzzing 'bout MICHAEL... Thriller was down the road and unexpected, but Off The Wall was hot first.  Even what's dated about it is charming.

Pick one by anyone you want to talk about.  

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 04:22:28 AM »

Alice in Chains, Dirt.

There's a lot to like about Facelift, but it's sort of the primordial stew that was later perfected in Dirt. Alice in Chains has always been associated with the grunge wave, but they've always been more metal than anything. Dirt is where they really cemented their sound into solid pop songs (I'm using "pop" as synonymous with well constructed) with sinister leanings.

It could be argued that they became more accomplished musicians and song-writers in their later releases, but this record is the first chance they got to really strut their stuff. In many non-musical ways it's similar to Faith No More's "Angel Dust." Both powerhouse albums in which the bands really got to shoot for the stands and succeeded.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 11:57:15 AM »

Alice in Chains, Dirt.

There's a lot to like about Facelift, but it's sort of the primordial stew that was later perfected in Dirt. Alice in Chains has always been associated with the grunge wave, but they've always been more metal than anything. Dirt is where they really cemented their sound into solid pop songs (I'm using "pop" as synonymous with well constructed) with sinister leanings.

It could be argued that they became more accomplished musicians and song-writers in their later releases, but this record is the first chance they got to really strut their stuff. In many non-musical ways it's similar to Faith No More's "Angel Dust." Both powerhouse albums in which the bands really got to shoot for the stands and succeeded.

Yeah, Dirt is far and away my favorite AIC album. Everything about it is a standout to me, from writing to playing to production. It is also very dense in the amount of quality material on it. It's their heaviest album too, not a single acoustic instrument on it if I remember. It's their only album where I won't skip tracks on.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
voltron

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 01:23:35 PM »

Talk Talk's material has always been excellent - they never put out a bad album. But when they moved away form their earlier synthpop sound and began experimenting musically, they really hit their stride. The album Spirit of Eden was the beginning of their transformation into post rock, but when they released Laughing Stock they absolutely NAILED it! A lot of musicians say this is one of the best albums of all time, and it's easy to see why. Brilliant beyond words.

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 01:43:26 PM »

This is the best Beatles album...IMO

Wings best album...

The best RUSH album...

The best Heart album..

« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 01:48:11 PM by tracy1963 » Logged

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 02:00:36 PM »

this is easily the best Annihilator album IMO. no other ones I've heard even come close. a very tight, sharp, hook-filled metal album.

edit - just realised the cover is very similar to that Alice In Chains album. (and Annihilator's first album is called Alice In Hell !)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 02:05:22 PM by zombie #1 » Logged

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 02:18:00 PM »

Some here may know I'm a big Elvis Costello fan. Picking a best album is pretty much an impossibility. If I had the screws put to me and told I could only listen to one EC album for the rest of my life? Still damn-near impossible, but I guess I would go with:

Tom Waits is the same deal. If love the different stages in his career almost equally for different reasons, but if I had to pick one album:

Incidentally, many people think that Tom Waits is the man on the cover, but the picture is actually one taken by Swedish photographer Anders Petersen in the 60's.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 09:32:48 PM »

I seriously doubt there are any terrible ELVIS PRESLEY records, but I think ELVIS is the best.  It's his second album and it's tough to pass over the first Elvis Presley which is landmark... but... I have to give it to ELVIS PRESLEY ELVIS

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 09:50:27 PM »

Follow The Leader, by KoRn.  Korn had released two albums previously, and both combined elements of hard rock, heavy metal, grunge, and rap.  This album was a landmark for them, combining all three in such a way, it helped usher in an era of "Nu-Metal", which really helped bring back heavy metal to the MTV generation of the '90s, at a time when all they had was teenybopper pop and rap.  Love them or not, they helped launch groups like Limp Bizkit, Staind, Papa Roach, Linkin Park, etc.  Millions of teens related to it, each song on the album was great, and I don't think any album since this one has sold as many copies (Follow the Leader sold around 5 Million in the US, back when Napster and online downloading was just starting.)  Each Korn album since has seen a slight decline in quality.  Plus, it scored a bunch of nominations at various awards ceremonies, winning quite a few.

London Calling by The Clash.

I don't even know where to start with this one.  I'd put it up there as one of the top ten best rock albums of all-time, honestly.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 05:49:30 PM »

Warrior Soul - SALUTATIONS FROM THE GHETTO NATION (1992)

Small | Large

I love this band and this album in particular. SALUTATIONS... is the soundtrack to a youth rebellion/uprising that disappointingly never took place. Every track on this album makes me want to punch someone.

I wrote a gushingly in-depth fanboy article about this disc on my blog some time ago, y'all can check it out here if you want: http://fatfreddyscat.hubpages.com/hub/Retro-Metal-Rant-Warrior-Soul

Or if you don't, suffice to say that this album freakin' rules. Nuff said.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
crackers
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 03:46:46 PM »

The Cramps - Songs The Lord Taught Us

L7 - Bricks Are Heavy

Reverend Horton Heat - Liquor In Front

Hammock Rider

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 05:18:17 PM »

For Van Morrison , right now, it's Keep it Simple.  It just reflects very well where i'm at in my life right now.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 09:01:35 PM »

This is Weezer's third self-titled album, but I think they're sixth overall.  I'd say it's the best one they've written.

Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd.  So many great ones to choose from: Dark Side, Animals, Piper, Wall.  Ultimately, I love this one beginning to end.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Frank81
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 09:57:35 PM »

The Cramps - Songs The Lord Taught Us

Thumbup  R.I.P. Lux Interior.. Bluesad I remember seeing them at the now defunct Punk Mecca CBGB's way back in the 70's.. what a great time... The version of  'Surfing Bird' they did made one throb in strobe light  blue, those  were the days. Drink Smile My pick for their best was their  'Gravest Hits' album.

Frank81
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2012, 10:05:50 PM »

THE WHO.. QUADROPHENIA Smile

I'll never  forget this  album, it was  playing 'Love Reign On Me' on my cassette player the day I kissed my first girlfriend under the boardwalk at Coney Island, Brooklyn, NYC one rainly afternoon in the fall of '76 in the rain....and the same song was on my car radio, the day I ran into the Nursing home and was  told my mother was dead and I ran up the stairs and found her gone... lot of emotion with this album.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Their best record...??? PICK ONE « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.