Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 05:26:26 AM
714148 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7732 Members
Latest Member: Larryfiste
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Your opinions on the new Sabbath song? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Your opinions on the new Sabbath song?  (Read 7298 times)
voltron
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: May 22, 2013, 09:02:32 AM »

Small | Large

On one hand, it's kinda nice to see 3/4 of the band back, but this struck me as being quite average and dull. Ozzy's singing is a definite improvement when compared to his solo work of the past 10+ years (perhaps because he's back to drinking and drugs maybe)....I dunno, the new album should be interesting but I'm not getting my hopes up.

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 10:19:00 AM »

Really makes me realize how big a contribution their old drummer Bill Ward used to make to the band.  It's noticeably absent now and sorely missed.

Ozzy sounds like he's reading the lyrics off a sheet of paper.  Lifeless monotone for the most part.

The chorus is okay but the verses drag on way too long and between Ozzy's canned singing and that very basic little chord arpeggiation thing, (which they also use for the intro?!) it really drags.

Tony's still got his penchant for evil guitar riffs though   Smile

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 02:19:57 PM »

It's boring.

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 08:39:13 AM »

I heard this a few weeks ago on the official black sabbath site. Most of the comments from hardcore sabbath fans were generally positive, but most were aggrieved there was no guitar solo. None of them seemed to mention Bill Wards absence, I fact I didn't realise he wasnt on it till just reading your post Jack

Personally I think it's okay. I've never rated sabbath as high as most people into metal, they have a few great tunes but album wise I'd struggle to think of any genuine classic

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 12:28:58 PM »

It's fair....not quite as fun as an old Black Sabbath song and Ozzy sounds a bit dry.

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 08:03:40 PM »

I heard this a few weeks ago on the official black sabbath site. Most of the comments from hardcore sabbath fans were generally positive, but most were aggrieved there was no guitar solo. None of them seemed to mention Bill Wards absence, I fact I didn't realise he wasnt on it till just reading your post Jack

Personally I think it's okay. I've never rated sabbath as high as most people into metal, they have a few great tunes but album wise I'd struggle to think of any genuine classic
I think this is my attitude.  I do like to read criticism, but not like I used to (the NYTimes Book Review is not nearly so interesting anymore).  I like film criticism and music reviews. 

BLACK SABBATH's reputation has grown leaps and bounds in 30 years... can't help but compare reviews in my 1979 versus 2004 RS record guide, BLACK SABBATH are even more highly regarded now than they were nearly 10 years ago (all slavish praise in 2004...but they were trashed in 1979).  I still don't get 'em and I like hardcore and metal.  They remind me of URIAH HEEP (English bs). 

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 04:07:34 PM »

Personally I'm quite impressed. Particularly with the formal integrity of it, it doesn't ape modern styles
voltron

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 06:39:32 PM »

Personally I'm quite impressed. Particularly with the formal integrity of it, it doesn't ape modern styles
Yeah lester, I'm glad it sounds like Sabbath and that they didn't try to "modernize" their sound. Imagine Ozzy's singing autotuned to hell.

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2013, 11:49:59 PM »

Yeah lester, I'm glad it sounds like Sabbath and that they didn't try to "modernize" their sound. Imagine Ozzy's singing autotuned to hell.
Emphasis on hell.  

Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 01:16:21 PM »

Hmm....I'm not so sure about this one:
The first 6 minutes of the song were very reminiscent of instrumental sound of the Dio years, and up to that point in the song, Dio's vocals would have been more appropriate.

Around 6 and a half minutes, the sound goes old school and reminds you of what was on the Paranoid album. In either case, it's clear that Ozzy's vocals are less than a shadow of their former glory. And no solos in a Sabbath song is like Batman w\o Robin.

All in all, it's a hybrid of past and present, with no real inspiration. It's passable, but could have been better. But at least, as Lester 1\2 Jr. said, the sounds does NOT ape on modern styles, and for that, Sabbath gets some points.  At least we have that to go on.
major jay

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 08:51:40 AM »

I love it. It sounds like their first album (for me that's a good thing).
The lyrics are cheesy (Hey it's BLACK SABBATH, not Bob Dylan). Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2013, 11:32:18 PM »

I love it. It sounds like their first album (for me that's a good thing).
The lyrics are cheesy (Hey it's BLACK SABBATH, not Bob Dylan). Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup
Oh, BOB DYLAN is cheesy if he can be construed.   TeddyR

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Your opinions on the new Sabbath song? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.