Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:42:08 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  You know what REALLY sucks? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: You know what REALLY sucks?  (Read 15270 times)
voltron
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: March 25, 2014, 07:02:19 PM »

I'm not enjoying bad movies like I used to. Years ago I could watch movie after movie but now it's just eeeeehhhh. I try really hard to psych myself up for a flick and then I put it off thinking "maybe I'll feel like checking it out tomorrow". Unfortunately that rarely happens anymore. I just don't know what it is. It's like I have little to no attention span anymore. For instance, I got my hands on a copy of Drive In Massacre / Driller Killer not too long ago and I fell asleep about halfway through the both of them. Thing is I really didn't care to rewatch them the next day. I don't know what the hell my problem is, but it's really making me f**king sad.  Bluesad Has anybody on this board ever gone through this? Is it just a phase or what?  Question

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 09:29:10 PM »

Sometimes you go through a string of REALLY bad movies that are impossible to enjoy (Drive-In Massacre is one).  You just need to find good-bad ones to remind yourself not all are unwatchable.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
Javakoala
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 11:39:58 PM »

Focus on something else for a while. Or, what I've done recently, start reading about films and the stories behind them.

Focusing on something else for a while may take you out of what sounds like a rut you've gotten stuck in. It helps me.

The second option is somewhat akin to the first, but I've started reading essays on Doris Wishman's films and a couple of books on the history behind cult films and even reading about the history of minstrel acts (after Alanhopewell's posting about the minstrel segment in Jailbait). It opens your mind to new things and enables you to bring more to the table when you DO go back to watching crappy movies.

Also, I used to do marathons as well, but I can't do it. I pick one or two titles and I watch them. If I get into a groove, like I did recently with Nicholas Cage, I'll tend to watch one or two movies a night to fulfill my sudden passion.

The main thing is that this is most likely temporary. Just find a way to ride it out, good sir.
 Cheers
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 03:02:55 AM »

I never thought this would happen but I seem to have stopped going to the cinema /theater. The last time I actually saw a film in a cinema was in 2012 when I went to see Searching For Sugarman and then later The Expendables 2. Strange because the cinema was always my second home: now, not so much anymore.  Bluesad

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Javakoala
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 05:15:56 AM »

I never thought this would happen but I seem to have stopped going to the cinema /theater. The last time I actually saw a film in a cinema was in 2012 when I went to see Searching For Sugarman and then later The Expendables 2. Strange because the cinema was always my second home: now, not so much anymore.  Bluesad

I haven't been to the theater in...years. I mean, since the 4th Harry Potter movie. Between high prices and mostly annoying people in the audience, I just gave up. When someone mentions going now, I'm either sickened or have a minor panic attack. Seriously.

Wow, I am effed up.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 06:22:46 AM »

Whatever hobby I have my interest always waxes and wanes.  Last year I watched 400 movies, this year, if January - March are anything to go by, I'm on track to watch 160 or so.  Sometimes I'll buy 10 DVD's in a month, then maybe I'll buy 3 in the next 3 months.  I get a bit burned out on something and don't do it much, then after a while I'll get interested in it again.  And I fall asleep during movies quite often lol.  Those Mill Creek 50 packs are the best cure for insomnia that's ever been created.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
ChaosTheory

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 04:45:27 PM »

Sometimes peoples' tastes just change. This has happened to me, more with music than anything else, but there are plenty of movies & movie types - particularly comedies - that I loved as a teenager and can barely sit through now.
Or sometimes you just get burned out on a certain thing and need to step away from it for a while.
I haven't watched many movies at all in the last few months. I haven't been to the theater since PACIFIC RIM came out, and it could be another several months before I go again.

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 05:48:33 PM »

It happens personally I have been barely watching any b movies at all this year. Instead I have been going through the criterion collection and watching all kinds of art house movies from around the world. At some point I'm going to get tired of those and go watch some schlock.

Movies are like food even the finest ingredients grow stale without variety. Many years ago lobster was so prolific that it would serve as the cornerstone of slave/servant diets. It was considered trash food and in Massachusetts the servants actually won a court battle that put it in their contracts that they wouldn't have to eat it more than three times a week! Nowadays lobster is a delicacy eaten only on special occasions. So if your sick of eating lobster (b movies) try some other flavors and come back to it (westerns, film noir, comedies etc....) and you may be surprised at how good it tastes.
Flangepart

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 06:01:10 PM »

In short, remind your mind of how it's supposed to be done, and you can remind yourself of why you riffed in the first place.

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
daveblackeye15

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2014, 12:05:30 AM »

I think I had a bit of a dry up when I started going to college. Doubt it was an age thing, think it was a time thing but ever once in a while I do order a goodie or two.

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
claws
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2014, 08:08:05 AM »

Sometimes the cheese just wears off. For example I always thought Up from the Depths (1979) was unintentional hilarious. It still might be, but on my third viewing I got bored with it and only barely finished it.
When I'm in a bad movie slump I return to the classics. Showgirls & Troll 2 always give me a boost.
Archivist

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 05:53:00 PM »

From my teens, heavy metal and guitar music were my absolute passions.  For years and years, Yngwie Malmsteen, Tony Macalpine and Joe Satriani were playing constantly throughout the day.  Some time around 2004, my musical interests took a bit of a diversion and I was listening to Nightwish and Epica, and I began to wonder how come I wasn't listening to Malmsteen any more.  It was like a quiet betrayal of a long standing friend. 

Was I getting old?  Was I, gulp, 'growing out of it'?

These days, I can't listen to music all the time as my work requires me to hear what I'm doing, and I don't listen to metal at all.  Ambient music like early Brian Eno and Steve Roach plays as I go to sleep, and sometimes a movie soundtrack or two encircles me as I relax.

Sometimes, as much as it may surprise or perplex or dismay us, things just change.  But I've noticed that while some interests have come and gone, some go in cycles.  You never lose something you truly love.  It just goes into a quiet sleep, which is best left undisturbed until it emerges into wakefulness again.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
voltron

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 04:10:22 PM »

From my teens, heavy metal and guitar music were my absolute passions.  For years and years, Yngwie Malmsteen, Tony Macalpine and Joe Satriani were playing constantly throughout the day.  Some time around 2004, my musical interests took a bit of a diversion and I was listening to Nightwish and Epica, and I began to wonder how come I wasn't listening to Malmsteen any more.  It was like a quiet betrayal of a long standing friend. 

Was I getting old?  Was I, gulp, 'growing out of it'?

These days, I can't listen to music all the time as my work requires me to hear what I'm doing, and I don't listen to metal at all.  Ambient music like early Brian Eno and Steve Roach plays as I go to sleep, and sometimes a movie soundtrack or two encircles me as I relax.

Sometimes, as much as it may surprise or perplex or dismay us, things just change.  But I've noticed that while some interests have come and gone, some go in cycles.  You never lose something you truly love.  It just goes into a quiet sleep, which is best left undisturbed until it emerges into wakefulness again.
Archivist your musical story is pretty much the same as mine. I grew up a metalhead (and i always will be one to an extent, but since I've eased off the metal (which is quote a few years) I've dealt with a lot of post-rock, expeimental, ambient (the dark stuff like Lull), Robert Rch and lots of electro like Scorn, Controlled Bleeding and Skinny Puppy (of course), Techno animal and so forth.  Cheers

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2014, 12:05:20 PM »

Sometimes peoples' tastes just change. This has happened to me, more with music than anything else, but there are plenty of movies & movie types - particularly comedies - that I loved as a teenager and can barely sit through now.
Or sometimes you just get burned out on a certain thing and need to step away from it for a while.
I haven't watched many movies at all in the last few months. I haven't been to the theater since PACIFIC RIM came out, and it could be another several months before I go again.

The comedies I enjoyed as a teen I often find juvenile now, similar with many TV series. Getting older and wiser I think has something to do with some of it. I may still chuckle at some of it but I feel kind of guilty about it a bit more and often have to admit that what made me laugh was kind of stupid. That said, I find I enjoy more and more the stuff from the 30s, 40s & 50s especially mysteries...I could watch Sherlock Holmes, Charlie Chan or Bulldog Drummond movies all day long. There's amusing stuff in those as well. Liking a bit of everything is great because it allows you to expand yourself and be open to watching all types of films. I've discovered I like Westerns, independent (sometimes even arty films) and foreign horror films more than I expected. The one type of film I never tire of though is the monster movie although some are certainly a lot better done than others.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2014, 02:21:57 PM »

I try to mix it up. One night I'll watch a highbrow documentary or a critically acclaimed classic, then follow it up with a string of crap-taculars. :D

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  You know what REALLY sucks? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.