Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:03:58 PM
714402 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Disney's Streaming Service « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Disney's Streaming Service  (Read 11493 times)
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« on: November 21, 2019, 01:51:27 PM »

The joke is that Netflix's motto is "quantity" but that cannot be said for Disney, whose new streaming service is an inch deep and a yard wide. I appreciate that there are some fine offerings there but nothing I saw beyond The Mandalorian is going to hold my interest more than a month, since we already own most of the movies on DVD, and have seen the Disney Channel series which interest us, and frankly those series are often interchangeable fare: dumb parents and misbehaving wisecracking kids (with a stooge always in the bunch). I used to watch That's So Raven and Lizzie McGuire and Phil of the Future with my cousin's kids back in the day but soon after Hannah Montana took off and its many wanna-be clones ruined the channel by taking it in another direction.

Frankly Disney better hurry and add to the library.

I also wish Disney would return The Song of the South to availability, since hiding it away is on the same level as suppressing Huck Finn or Gone With the Wind or any of many other titles I could mention. If anything Uncle Remus was a genius-level teller of some very fine tales. I saw it as a child and loved it and I don't think I was alone. Why not put it out and let the enjoyable elements be enjoyed and the rest stand as a message telling children "look how far we've come"?

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 01:56:10 PM »

I'm not at all interested in Disney+, not even a little.

Agree about SONG OF THE SOUTH. But I think they'll keep it in the vault for the foreseeable future, if not forever.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 02:15:54 PM »

Yeah, I can't see them rereleasing it any time soon. Had a hell of a job tracking down a copy for Kristi as it is one of the few Disney films she didn't already own. Finally managed to get a copy shipped over from Australia.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
chefzombie
zombie chef to the stars
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 07:30:08 PM »

same here, alex, an aussie friend sent it to me. i have yet to meet a child who hasn't loved it, and most adults too.

don't EVEN...EVER!
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2019, 05:21:59 PM »

Never underestimate the lure of nostalgia.
When Disney+ rolled out on November 12, within 24 hours it had 10,000,000 subscribers, or, 115.74 subscribers for every second. While expected, that demand was unexpected and crashed the system. Though, it was back and up within 24 hours.

Netflix ain't seen nothing yet.
Not only does it have to compete with a new Disney+.
It now has to compete with Apple TV+ Buy an Apple product and receive Apple TV+ free for an year.

+beginning next year, it has to compete with . . .
HBO Max+ = AT&T + Turner TV + Warner Brothers and
Peacock = Comcast + NBC + Universal

Though, if the Netherlands is any example, people who now have Netflix, will most likely keep Netflix and add 1 or 2 other streaming services, as depending upon the poll, most people will pay somewhere between $25.00 and $45.00 a month for their streaming services.

Available today
Australia -- Canada -- Netherlands -- New Zealand -- Puerto Rico -- and the U.S.

Available tomorrow (March 31, 2020)
France -- Germany -- Italy -- Spain -- and the U.K.

Available sometime in 2020
Japan

We know how well it did here in the U.S., the demand crashed the system, but, it'd be interesting to see how well it does overseas. Though, like most streaming services it is international or will go international.

Good? Bad?
The best indication, if it is a publicly traded company, is the stock price. After the launch of Disney+ the share price of Disney went Up (good), Though it has lost some ground since then, while the share price of Netflix went down (bad.) Though, it has made up some of its lost since then.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2019, 03:13:35 PM »

I am tempted to sign up for a 1-week free trial of Disney+ so I can overdose on vintage Simpsons episodes for a couple of days straight, and then bail.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2019, 05:27:10 PM »

Here's something. While the streaming service will be showing the 1947 version of Miracle on 34th Street, from the stills I have seen on the internet, they will be showing the colorized version, and I do not know who I dislike more. Those who colorize films, or those who reguire their black-and-white films be colorized, because they will not see any film that is in black-and-white.
chefzombie
zombie chef to the stars

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2019, 07:15:19 PM »

same here kevin, it's truly the horns of a dilemma.....but i think it has to be the colorisers...dang, how is that properly spelled?

don't EVEN...EVER!
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2020, 05:32:30 PM »

The Obi-Wan Kenobi show with Ewan McGregor is still on, if temporarily put on hold.

What we know so far.
It will be a 6-episode series and will feature what is known as Kenobi's "lost years," or, those years between Episode III and Episode IV in the Star Wars Saga and will take place some 8 years after the end of Episode III. There is also the rumor that Jar Jar Binks will make a return in the series.

And for those Europeans out there who peruse this website, Disney+ will, on March 24, 2020, be coming to these countries, a week earlier than expected.
Austria (?) -- France -- Germany -- Ireland -- Italy -- Spain -- and the U.K.

And sometime in the summer of 2020 . . .
Sweden -- Portugal -- Norway -- Finland -- Denmark -- and Belgium.

That leaves only Switzerland and some of the smaller western European countries (will it play in Vatican City?) as not being part of the roll-out.

As to what is missing, the countries that are regarded as being part of eastern Europe.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2020, 05:55:47 PM »

Obi Wan Kenobi
still on, but the premiere date has apparently been pushed back to next year or 2021, as the old creative team is let go and a new creative team is brought on board.

Star Wars : the Clone Wars
Season 7, which is suppose to provide closure to some of the storylines that were left open ended during the previous seasons. Premiering Friday, February 21, 2020.

Willow
while it is regarded as having underperformed at the box office, over 30 years later, there are some who still want a sequel film. We are still not getting a sequel film, but we are getting a sequel TV series, which takes place after the film ended, with Warwick Davis returning in the role he played in the film.

More as it becomes available
chefzombie
zombie chef to the stars

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2020, 06:44:14 PM »

i'd cough up the cash for a month to see the willow series, love that movie.

don't EVEN...EVER!
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2020, 03:19:53 PM »

Its strength lies in its back catalog, which may be why both Apple and Netflix, neither one of which has a back catalog, are said to be looking to purchase MGM and its back catalog. Let the bidding wars begin.

Or, maybe it's its rollouts.

02/20 Star Wars : the Clone Wars. season 7
03/20 India
08/20 The Falcon and the Winter Soldier
11/20 The Mandalorian. 2nd season
12/20 WandaVision
20/21 Hawkeye
20/21 Loki

It has done something it took Netflix several years to do. In less than 3 months (November 12, 2019 - February 3, 2020) it has had 28.6M subscribers.

Now that CBS is once more part of Viacom, CBS/Viacome are set to launch their own streaming service.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2020, 03:34:14 PM »

What we know.
--Star Wars
----the prequel to Rogue One is now in production.

--Marvel
----besides the shows now in production, the MCU has promised at least 2 more shows.

What we do not know
--Star Wars
----When. When it will air on Disney+, but my guess is sometime in 2021.

Marvel
--Marvel
----What. What the shows will be. Though . . . (and these are in the preference I'd like to see 'em, is . . .)
------earlier guesses
--------Ms. Marvel and/or Moon Knight and/or She-Hulk
------later guesses
--------The Young Avengers and/or The Thunderbolts and/or The Secret Invasion

+ from earlier films come these upcoming shows
--Honey, I Shrunk the Kids (i.e. Shrunk)
--The Mighty Ducks
--Turner and Hooch

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2020, 06:51:19 PM »

Future films

Aladdin 2
Black Panther 2
Indiana Jones 5

No surprises there. This is not the 1st Aladdin to have a sequel. The animated version had a direct-to-video sequel The Return of Jafar, which makes people think, the live action version will go the same way. As for the subject of Indiana Jones 5, few know at this time, but it is believed to take place in the last half of the '60's and the 1st half of the '70's.

Marvel
She-Hulk seems to be the odds on favorite to be the next TV show from Marvel, after the ones already in production.

And just as Star Wars : the Clone Wars will have all-new episodes, there are rumors that all, some, none of Daredevil, Iron Fist, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage will also get new episodes. They once played on Netflix, till they were canceled, but, the rumor has it, that they will  now be on Disney+.

More as it becomes available.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2020, 01:09:34 PM »

I can't imagine Netflix allowing Disney to show those programs.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Disney's Streaming Service « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.