Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:42:37 AM
714392 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Random Statements About Something NOBODY Cares About, the resurrection « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 85
Author Topic: Random Statements About Something NOBODY Cares About, the resurrection  (Read 210667 times)
zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Bad day at the construction site

« Reply #360 on: June 20, 2021, 12:18:12 AM »

The Jedi?  Question

I'm so glad your based in the real world.  Thumbup
Gives me faith in the human race!
Gotta stop that evil Empire, ya know!

There's something that you should know, RC: Art often imitates life.  Cheers

Without Michael Moore and "Fahrenheit 9/11" at the Cannes Film Festival this time, it was left to George Lucas and "Star Wars" to pique European ire over the state of world relations and the United States' role in it.

Lucas' themes of democracy on the skids and a ruler preaching war to preserve the peace predate "Star Wars: Episode III — Revenge of the Sith" by almost 30 years. Yet viewers Sunday — and Lucas himself — noted similarities between the final chapter of his sci-fi saga and our own troubled times.

Cannes audiences made blunt comparisons between "Revenge of the Sith," the story of Anakin Skywalker's fall to the dark side and the rise of an emperor through warmongering, to President Bush's war on terrorism and the invasion of Iraq.

Two lines from the movie especially resonated:

"This is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause," bemoans Padme Amidala (Natalie Portman) as the galactic Senate cheers dictator-in-waiting Palpatine (Ian McDiarmid) while he announces a crusade against the Jedi.

"If you're not with me, then you're my enemy," Hayden Christensen's Anakin (soon to become villain Darth Vader) tells former mentor Obi-Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor). The line echoes Mr. Bush's international ultimatum after the Sept. 11 attacks, "Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists."

Lucas said he patterned his story after historical transformations from freedom to fascism, never figuring when he started his prequel trilogy in the late 1990s that current events might parallel his space fantasy.

"As you go through history, I didn't think it was going to get quite this close. So it's just one of those recurring things," Lucas said at a Cannes news conference. "I hope this doesn't come true in our country.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/sith-invites-bush-comparisons/
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 12:21:25 AM by zelmo73 » Logged

First rule is, 'The laws of Germany'
Second rule is, 'Be nice to mommy'
Third rule is, 'Don't talk to commies'
Fourth rule is, 'Eat kosher salamis'
------------------
The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and says "Make me one with everything!"
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #361 on: June 20, 2021, 02:47:51 AM »

^ Well, thank you Zelmo for that insightful political commentary!  
What that has to do with Juneteenth I have no clue....  Lookingup

WAIT! I see the light! It's like an orgasm! Like Putin quoting Tolstoy!
 Obama was Skelator and He-Man is Trump! It's all falling into place!
It's like an epiphany! Or waking up a small sleeping child by dumping a bucket of ice water on him! I can walk again! I am healed!
 Or something!

Small | Large
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 09:35:43 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #362 on: June 20, 2021, 11:31:10 AM »

Okay!
Juneteenth is over!
Today we celebrate the acquittal of Lizzie Borden, the murder of Bugsy Siegel, and the release of Jaws.....

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
LilCerberus

« Reply #363 on: June 20, 2021, 11:36:30 AM »

Okay!
Juneteenth is over!
Today we celebrate the acquittal of Lizzie Borden, the murder of Bugsy Siegel, and the release of Jaws.....

Oh!
On this day in African American history, Muhammad Ali was convicted of violating selective service laws....

The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #364 on: June 20, 2021, 11:47:10 AM »

^And he did it with convictions. Trump skirted it by faking being injured.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/pentagon-congress/2019/02/27/trumps-lawyer-no-basis-for-presidents-medical-deferment-from-vietnam/
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 11:50:51 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #365 on: June 20, 2021, 12:38:50 PM »

Okay!
Juneteenth is over!

Oh!
On this day in African American history, Muhammad Ali was convicted of violating selective service laws....

That conviction is a shameful date in American history. Resisting the draft was Muhammad Ali's greatest achievement and the reason why he is a great person, not just a great athlete. With his money and celebrity he could have easily gotten a deferment or gone to another country. He was willing to give up the best years of his athletic career, and his freedom, to make a conscientious stand against the Vietnam War. And the Supreme Court eventually agreed with him.

No need to point out all the others who took the easy way out. Almost all rich people took the easy way out. As much as I admire Ali for his stand, I fear if I had been of draft age then and had the money, I would have taken the easy way out.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #366 on: June 20, 2021, 02:42:32 PM »

...WAIT! I see the light! It's like an orgasm! Like Putin quoting Tolstoy!
 Obama was Skelator and He-Man is Trump! It's all falling into place!
It's like an epiphany! Or waking up a small sleeping child by dumping a bucket of ice water on him! I can walk again! I am healed!
 Or something...!

Nah... You're just all wet. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #367 on: June 20, 2021, 02:48:47 PM »

...Oh!  On this day in African American history, Muhammad Ali was convicted of violating selective service laws....
That conviction is a shameful date in American history. Resisting the draft was Muhammad Ali's greatest achievement and the reason why he is a great person, not just a great athlete. With his money and celebrity he could have easily gotten a deferment or gone to another country. He was willing to give up the best years of his athletic career, and his freedom, to make a conscientious stand against the Vietnam War. And the Supreme Court eventually agreed with him...

Brings to mind the whole point of Juneteenth.  I wonder how "easily" a black man could have gotten a deferment.  Pvt Bone Spurs had no problem. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
LilCerberus

« Reply #368 on: June 20, 2021, 02:49:20 PM »

Okay!
Juneteenth is over!

Oh!

That conviction is a shameful date in American history. Resisting the draft was Muhammad Ali's greatest achievement and the reason why he is a great person, not just a great athlete. With his money and celebrity he could have easily gotten a deferment or gone to another country. He was willing to give up the best years of his athletic career, and his freedom, to make a conscientious stand against the Vietnam War. And the Supreme Court eventually agreed with him.

No need to point out all the others who took the easy way out. Almost all rich people took the easy way out. As much as I admire Ali for his stand, I fear if I had been of draft age then and had the money, I would have taken the easy way out.

Yes, that was kinda my point.
Thanks Rev.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #369 on: June 20, 2021, 03:32:15 PM »

^ What point? We were talking about what to call Juneteenth.
So what was your problem with Juneteenth?
You had a deal with the name?  Bluesad
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 03:34:38 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
LilCerberus

« Reply #370 on: June 20, 2021, 03:42:05 PM »

This is getting WAY too predictable.

pacman000
« Reply #371 on: June 20, 2021, 04:23:57 PM »

Juneteenth was already a holiday in Texas. The name was well-known, with celebrations across the state. Most folks probably don’t know the exact details, but they know it was the day the slaves were freed.

Changing the name would just cause confusion, even if “Order 3 Day” sounds cooler. (I like Juneteenth better, but I’m used to it.)
zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits

Bad day at the construction site

« Reply #372 on: June 21, 2021, 02:32:39 AM »

You actually believe Michael Cohen? Why? Cohen is a liar and a criminal.

First rule is, 'The laws of Germany'
Second rule is, 'Be nice to mommy'
Third rule is, 'Don't talk to commies'
Fourth rule is, 'Eat kosher salamis'
------------------
The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and says "Make me one with everything!"
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #373 on: June 21, 2021, 06:56:38 AM »

He was Trump's primary legal advisor and "fixer" for nearly 20 years. He's in a position to know.  And frankly, he's in a position where telling the truth about his former boss will benefit him more than making stuff up.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #374 on: June 21, 2021, 10:41:39 AM »

So is his ex-boss.

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 85
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Random Statements About Something NOBODY Cares About, the resurrection « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.